• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Putting the Pieces Together

Darkkin

V.I.P Member
We got a mysterious package today. (I knew it was coming, I just didn't know what it was.) And it was just about the same size as me...(Rue Dog for scale. He's 30 lbs.)

20230322_150700.jpg

Whatever was in the box was going to require assembly. (Not too complicated, philips screwdriver and an allen wrench.)

20230322_165422.jpg
20230322_170711.jpg
20230322_170717.jpg

This was one of those things that you see online or in social media and really like, but realistically, you know you won't buy for yourself because it seems frivolous. (A very good college friend of ours from California, sent this to me.)
20230322_171937.jpg
20230322_172417.jpg
20230322_172443.jpg
20230322_174015.jpg
20230322_174715.jpg

Rue Dog 'helped' and supervised. And given the fact that I only had to backtrack only once, I would say I did all right. This was the halfway point.

We got a mysterious package today. (I knew it was coming, I just didn't know what it was.) And it was just about the same size as me...(Rue Dog for scale. He's 30 lbs.)

View attachment 99479

Whatever was in the box was going to require assembly. (Not too complicated, philips screwdriver and an allen wrench.)

View attachment 99480View attachment 99481View attachment 99482

This was one of those things that you see online or in social media and really like, but realistically, you know you won't buy for yourself because it seems frivolous. (A very good college friend of ours from California, sent this to me.)
View attachment 99483View attachment 99484View attachment 99485View attachment 99486View attachment 99487

Rue Dog 'helped' and supervised. And given the fact that I only had to backtrack only once, I would say I did all right. This was the halfway point.
Wow! That looks really nice! It looks like it conforms to the Fibonacci sequence or golden ratio! :)

Okay, that is actually a very nice shelf--is it for plants? If so, what kind of plants do you want living on it?

This is a heavy duty plant stand. One big enough to handle all that I have with space to spare. It is a geometric delight and a really smart use of space, allowing for multiple configurations. And while it meant changing the layout details of the livingroom, it was well worth the effort.

20230322_194135.jpg
20230322_200456.jpg
20230322_202100.jpg
20230322_204053.jpg
20230322_204110.jpg
20230322_204226.jpg
20230322_204507.jpg

Being able to make use of the vertical space is a game changer. I've never been able to do any hanging plants, I just haven't had a workable space. Now I have the capacity. I've read about the so called air plants and I've done all right with my orchids and violets, so it is something I can now plausibly try.

Okay, that is actually a very nice shelf--is it for plants? If so, what kind of plants do you want living on it?

I have a spider plant, smooth willow, a Christmas cactus, English ivy, and Swiss cheese plant on the far wall. On the window side I have, sea chain, baby rubber plant, rubber plant, goldfish plant, rope hoya, and wax flower. My umbrella plant is staying on the floor, being nearly three feet tall.

My orchids, violets, smaller succulents, pothos, hydroponic cuttings, heart leaf philodendron, and pancake plant all live in the kitchen.

I have two other spider plants in the office. A Christmas cactus we inherited (it's seventy something years old), a pot of aloe, Potato Cat's spider plant, and a rescue pothos, are also in the living room.

The majority of my plants are rescues. They were damaged, overwatered, rotting, root bound, or just very sad. They didn't cost much and with a little care have recovered nicely.

Last edited:
Well! that certainly frames some fearful symmetry right there.

Fascinating. It's a miniature botanical garden and so is the whole house! You have a very fine collection of plants.

Oh dear. I thought it was a elaborate cat stand, l was visualizing the cat jumping from one ledge to the next. Very nice collection of plants and use of space. I heard some people who eat rice, and they rinse their rice and water with that.

That is one super cool plant stand.
Making use of the vertical space like that so you can have hanging and potted plants within a minimal space.
And the geometric form is great.

I love that picture of both Rue dog and Potatoe cat looking at it laid out for construction. Their expressions are so telling. Like, "is that really how it fits?"
and, "I wouldn't want to get involved!"

I have a crazy plant collection. I have been using a couple of chrome baker's racks with LED lights. Obviously, this is very "functional", but without the aesthetics my wife would prefer. We have a modern, contemporary design in our home, so something like this would be something to consider for those "special plants" that I would like to put on display.

Very nice.

Our house is the basic 50's style 3/1 ranch with a finished basement. We have big windows facing east and west with much more southern exposure than the north end of the house. The light is awesome, but I do have to be diligent about rotating my pots so I don't end up with leaning plants.

20230323_110830.jpg

Partial shade club...with a Potato Cat. We're reserving those bottom spaces for Potato on both stands, so he still has spots to tuck into.

(Final...(hopefully)...configuration.)

Last edited:
Update on the forest...We repotted the spider plant in a hanging basket. Added a curtain fig bonsai, a moon orchid (I didn't buy that...my best friend did.) and moved a couple of violets. (The kitchen table was getting a little crowded...).

With the orchid and bonsai, I repotted those immediately into better mediums and pots with drainage to prevent root damage. (Yes, the little bonsai was a bit of a treat, but hey, I worked all week and successfully dealt with the DMV (car tabs) and I hate the DMV...

20230324_192820.jpg
20230324_192845.jpg
20230324_192906.jpg

Last edited:
20230415_200127.jpg
20230415_200925.jpg

Meet Princess (top) and Cheese (bottom). Both are clearance rack rejects from local retailers. The cost of the two plants combined cost less than a gas station donut.

Both species have been on my covet list for a while, but were a no go because they are generally pretty pricey. These I found by sheer chance. Cheese I've had for about two months and Princess I just found.

With a little more time Princess will catch up to Cheese who was 90% dead when I found him. Everything in the picture is all new growth. Princess's newest leaf is variegated with the coveted Pink Princess colouring.

New Threads

Top Bottom