• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

PTSD and Autism, a curse that never ends with both.

Guess l flipped into denial so now l deal my day to day feelings. The bad things, l honestly let go of them. I stayed in the anxiety/fear/anger state but it's tiring, and it doesn't accomplish anything. You have to love the damaged side of you. The scared little kid that was taken advantage of. You truly need to embrace that part of you. That part needs love, it needs to feel accepted, that part needs to know that you will never be in a situation that would leave you exposed. You have to use that part to rebuild your psyche again. That is now part of you. My side was confused, insecure, unhappy. But l accepted it, it's a part of me. Sometimes when l think about my safety, that part is allowed to see how l keep (us) safe. Because we live in protection mode, so embrace this, embrace the new you and work with that part of you always. Always check that you feel safe and free.

I was a paramedic and/or EMT (depending on jurisdiction) for almost 12 years. I have responded to many mass-casualty incidents, I've been shot at, I've been stabbed, and so on......and I have PTSD. And people don't understand.

I have flashbacks, nightmares, occasional anxiety attacks, and bouts of depression.

To help yourself, you should get into therapy and/or counseling, and try to get the right medication (or combination of medications) that work for you.

Marijuana is said to help with PTSD, which makes sense to me when one hears the stories about people being forgetful if they smoke too much reefer......but if you go this route, talk to your doctor about your intentions, and make sure that you exercise care when it comes to mixing weed with perscription drugs.

As a medic, I'm strongly opposed to people taking illegal drugs and perscription meds at the same time.

Whatever you do, don't get into heavy drinking because of your PTSD.

Alcohol works very well to blot out past painful experiences, but it exacts a very heavy price. I'm even tempted to say that people with PTSD and/or depression shouldn't drink at all.

A final idea on the subject is to engage in physical exercise. Working out on a regular basis in a gym goes a long way toward alleviating depression, anxiety, and anger issues. If you do decide to start working out, make sure that your doctor knows and has given his/her approval.

Yes. I've been exposed to many traumatic events haven't experienced any PTSD symptoms. I'm probably immune to it genetically since genetics seems to play an factor.

It's also that everyone has a different threshold. It could just be that you haven't experienced something past your threshold.

Alcohol does a good job shutting everything off and erasing memories, just dont drive.

I’m sorry you’ve had such a hard go of it, my friend. At the very least I’m glad that you have a wonderful woman in your life who cares about you. And all of us here as well. You can always talk to us. Always.

I’m sorry you’ve had such a hard go of it, my friend. At the very least I’m glad that you have a wonderful woman in your life who cares about you. And all of us here as well. You can always talk to us. Always.
I will, and i always talk to her, i tell her everything and feel safe, she feels safe with me too, i ensure her everything is going to be ok, she was there for me at the hospital by my bed and waiting for me at the psyche ward. Shes a good woman i love her.We get intimate consensually, sometimes my medications for my depression get in the way which is annoying, i fall asleep fast, trazadone makes me too sleepy to continue but she understands once i wake up and explain to her.In and out of psyche ward after my suicide attempt i have to take trazadone accordingly until spring comes, winter my depression and suicidal attempts as well as flashbacks happen more often.

Last edited:
Alcohol does a good job shutting everything off and erasing memories, just dont drive.

Using alcohol as a coping mechanism can have significant negative, life changing consequences.

It's far healthier to address the underlying cause and not just treat the symptom with an addictive substance that is a known depressant.

Using alcohol as a coping mechanism can have significant negative, life changing consequences.

It's far healthier to address the underlying cause and not just treat the symptom with an addictive substance that is a known depressant.
As a medical person, I agree 100%.

I am so much and at the same time so little to say about that since I talked about it so much.

as you may know I have gone through a lot of trauma during my life

it drags me down even to this day

I was also hurt in the same Ways

somethings traumatic still have been in my life and unfortunately I can’t mention any more Trumatic events

I am so tired of it

I know my PTSD causes me to have problems with my memory my Nuro psychologist says that my PTSD and symptoms are mainly emotional but I believe there are some physical Things that hurt my brain as well

to be honest I can’t really say anymore

I am so much and at the same time so little to say about that since I talked about it so much.

as you may know I have gone through a lot of trauma during my life

it drags me down even to this day

I was also hurt in the same Ways

somethings traumatic still have been in my life and unfortunately I can’t mention any more Trumatic events

I am so tired of it

I know my PTSD causes me to have problems with my memory my Nuro psychologist says that my PTSD and symptoms are mainly emotional but I believe there are some physical Things that hurt my brain as well

to be honest I can’t really say anymore
It is believed that PTSD is the result of structural abnormalities in the brain that get created by a traumatic event.

I would suppose--in ancient times--that PTSD served a valuable purpose.....such as a vivid memory of a dangerous situation that would allow the PTSD-afflicted caveman to survive by being hypervigilant in similar situations.

After having done through traumatic events such as abuse and being raped, my flash backs backed by having a good memory being autistic makes life hell, suicide come to mind time and time again paired with feeling worthless and wanting to die at times

Ditto there a few times in events. I don't really have flashbacks as such. I'm more of the opinion, what went on did, I didn't know it was abuse, nothing I can do about it now. Yes, it's affected me, no, I can't change it, yes, I can accept it as what's done is done and it's not me to blame. I was INNOCENT. That's what you need to remember. I internalise, guilt trip, self negate. You name a negative, I own it. I also try my best to leave it there. It isn't worth my time.

A saying is "Chose to live in the past, then die a little everyday".

So try to stay present & walk forward.

For me it can be ongoing, PTSD , but l am very protective of myself, and l call out people who may try to overstep my boundaries. Because l need to keep that side of me manageable and fully cognizant 24/7. Also find that l do report abusive behaviour if it prevents me from doing my job.

After having done through traumatic events such as abuse and being raped, my flash backs backed by having a good memory being autistic makes life hell, suicide come to mind time and time again paired with feeling worthless and wanting to die at times, recurring flashbacks, nightmares, at times unable to sleep, i wish i had no memories however sadly although a good trait being autistic having the memories at times keep my flashbacks coming, im not sure whether to put it here or serious discussion, just wonder if other Autistics have ptsd and how to cope with the memory retention bringing.the flashbacks back, how to shut them off.
I have much respect and extend whatever support you'll receive. And look, you're still here after all that. That's strength.
I deal with PTSD as well, in fact its muddying the waters for my care providers as far as ASD inquiries. But I will pray for your peace of mind and a surrounding of therapeutic comfort.

I have rituals related to trauma and fatherlessness. I used to do them in agony, but when I discovered they may be ASD related, they turned out to be stims.

New Threads

Top Bottom