• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Problems signing up to a specific website.

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

Trying to sign up for an account on a website called Harland Direct, which sells continence clothes, it's not for me it's for me Dad.

However, both Dad and I have tried to sign up to the website in order to buy a specific product, and it does not work.

Without just telling me to use Google, can anyone help?

Dad found the website on Google in the first place.

If you go on Google.co.uk, search for Harrtmann Direct, it's the third link from the top you want.

Last edited:
What's the actual URL? Using either US or UK versions of Google were of no help.

Frankly I couldn't find anything for this particular UK business entity, even under the category of incontinence products.

Last edited:
1. Try a different browser. Some sites just outright dont work on some browsers... an unfortunate fact of the internet. Try many browsers. Hell, I've got like 5 of them on my system (not counting the one that came with Windows, which is always bad) for this specific reason.

2. Just send them an email about it via their customer support thing. Frankly, this is the *first* thing you should do in a situation like this (after trying browsers). People will always say "use Google" or whatever, or mention asking others about it, but.... no, do that instead. In the vast majority of cases, you're going to get an answer to the problem that much faster, or determine if their is no answer (and thus, you can move to other options quicker). Not to mention it makes them aware that a problem exists, so if it's on their end, they can fix it.

However, if you're going to do that, you gotta be WAY more specific than just "it does not work". That alone aint going to get you anywhere from any angle. Dealing with ANY computer-related issue means DETAIL. Lots... and lots... of detail.

I've just returned on this board. The last time I have logged here, it was still called "Aspie Central". I don't dislike the name change ^^..

Misery totally nailed it. I can't add more to that. But, I can share an anecdote with you...
Minutes ago, when I tried to reset my password on this site, I had to prove that I was not a robot. Well, it was harder than I thought. Every time I clicked a picture with a car or a bicycle, the picture disappeared and another one got displayed instead. Huh? I think the problem was that I used my username 'plaidInBlue' instead of my email address. But it's been a bit more than 3 years since my last visit, that I wrote 'PlaidInBlue' instead of 'plaidInBlue'. So, just a different case for one letter, and BOOM google was tout confus. Okay, I am not naive, it's one of the heuristics of their system to make bots lose their time. But as far as I know it, I am not a bot or a robot (yet?).

I have nothing more to add to my comment. Good luck. :)

Incontinence Products & Supplies | HARTMANN Direct

@Misery, I am stuck with the Chrome browser, I am on a Chromebook PC.

Wait, what? Dont tell me.... they actually FORCE you to use ONE browser? They dont allow the download of another one?

....If that's the case, how in the numerous hells do they sell such an abomination? Even my damn phone can get a new browser. And it's a phone!

What happens if you try to get a new one anyway? Or is it not even able to try?

Well, if that's the case, hmmm. I've used Chrome myself frequently. Indeed, there are numerous sites it simply refuses to work with.... heck if I know why. But that is definitely typical of browsers.

The only other thing I can think of that you might be able to try is to see if there's any extensions you have that might be interfering. Those can have surprising effects on some sites. Other than that.... you might be out of luck here, without help from whoever made the site.

Click on the "apps" icon near the top left of your chrome browser, then click on the "web store" and search for "ARC Welder". It's an extension to chrome which allows you to run Android apps on a chromebook or a PC. You can then download other Android versions of browsers like firefox or opera and try accessing the website through them.

Wait, what? Dont tell me.... they actually FORCE you to use ONE browser? They dont allow the download of another one?

....If that's the case, how in the numerous hells do they sell such an abomination? Even my damn phone can get a new browser. And it's a phone!

What happens if you try to get a new one anyway? Or is it not even able to try?

Well, if that's the case, hmmm. I've used Chrome myself frequently. Indeed, there are numerous sites it simply refuses to work with.... heck if I know why. But that is definitely typical of browsers.

The only other thing I can think of that you might be able to try is to see if there's any extensions you have that might be interfering. Those can have surprising effects on some sites. Other than that.... you might be out of luck here, without help from whoever made the site.

Dad's also tried the site on MS Edge browser on his Windows 10 Laptop and it didn't work on that either.

Dad's also tried the site on MS Edge browser on his Windows 10 Laptop and it didn't work on that either.

Aye, that doesnt count though.

NOTHING works quite right on MS Edge. Nobody uses that. It's basically Internet Explorer all over again: Yet another incredibly unreliable piece of crap that just comes free with the machine. Even when it does "work", that browser is slower and more prone to acting weird than any other. Often MUCH slower.

Hell, I just got a brand new PC recently, and of course the only browser it starts with is Edge. It took me AN HOUR to get it to even START to do something useful enough JUST to go get the necessary things so I could use any other browser. Attempting the same steps with another browser took 5 minutes. Think about that for a second.

Not a fan of Edge. I use Chrome for a lot of things just because I have a few Android devices and it's convenient, but every machine I have has versions of Opera and Firefox on it.

The only other thing I can think of that you might be able to try is to see if there's any extensions you have that might be interfering.

I was wondering the same. Perhaps a security extension/plug-in may be interfering with the enabling of client-side java script. That particular website appears to using a whole lot of it. Not very encouraging.

Then again for whatever reason their browsers may simply have java script disabled by default.

Not wanting to get into a technical debate over the security concerns of java script, but for some it's a hotly contested issue.

Last edited:
Yes, I have run into that several times lately. I've had several sites actually open in Firefox without my opening Firefox and others had a window pop up and tell me to use Firefox. Excellent idea on trying a different browser!!!

I cannot use another browser, as I keep saying, I am on a Chromebook PC, so I am restricted to using the Chrome browser.

Smh @ People who don't listen to me.

You shouldn't be restricted to only using Chrome as a browser if you try the ARC Welder extension mentioned above. Have you tried it yet?

I cannot use another browser, as I keep saying, I am on a Chromebook PC, so I am restricted to using the Chrome browser.

Smh @ People who don't listen to me.

It's actually possible, as Autistamatic said, to use other browsers even on a Chromebook. Google of course doesnt want you to do this, but... screw Google. But yeah, this question has been brought up quite a bit, and tech-users tend to be stubborn and will eventually find ways to FORCE devices to do what they want. So... they did.

Check out this ARC Welder thing, do a bit of research (if that's even necessary, usually extensions are fairly easy to use), and you can probably get a couple other options available to you even on that loopy machine of yours. Chances are, it's not THAT hard to do.... maybe.

I can say one thing though: This is all the more reason why I *never* buy the "extremely specific" sort of computer. I'm not sure what else to call this class of computers. But Chromebook is just one example of that. The sort where it's made by a company that wants you to JUST use their branded stuff and never anything by other developers, and they actually make bloody sure that it's difficult for you to do that. Computers + lots of arbitrary restrictions = lots of totally pointless trouble, and a device that honestly isnt very useful or worth the money paid.

Honestly, right now, if a computer isnt Windows or Linux based, it's probably not worth much. MAYBE a Mac can count too.... maybe. Those seem to be kinda dead though, unless I've missed a resurgence somewhere.

Macs still seem popular in their traditional markets - graphics, design, video editing/processing and they're still as fetishised as ever ;)
I'm happy with PCs for all that kind of stuff, for a fraction of the price and a huge multiple of the freedom.

It's actually possible, as Autistamatic said, to use other browsers even on a Chromebook. Google of course doesnt want you to do this, but... screw Google. But yeah, this question has been brought up quite a bit, and tech-users tend to be stubborn and will eventually find ways to FORCE devices to do what they want. So... they did.

Check out this ARC Welder thing, do a bit of research (if that's even necessary, usually extensions are fairly easy to use), and you can probably get a couple other options available to you even on that loopy machine of yours. Chances are, it's not THAT hard to do.... maybe.

I can say one thing though: This is all the more reason why I *never* buy the "extremely specific" sort of computer. I'm not sure what else to call this class of computers. But Chromebook is just one example of that. The sort where it's made by a company that wants you to JUST use their branded stuff and never anything by other developers, and they actually make bloody sure that it's difficult for you to do that. Computers + lots of arbitrary restrictions = lots of totally pointless trouble, and a device that honestly isnt very useful or worth the money paid.

Honestly, right now, if a computer isnt Windows or Linux based, it's probably not worth much. MAYBE a Mac can count too.... maybe. Those seem to be kinda dead though, unless I've missed a resurgence somewhere.

I'll have a look at that ARC Welder thingy, I'm just not very au fait with the more technical side of using PCs, I'm more a software user having trained in the full suite of MS Office products.

I'll have a look at that ARC Welder thingy, I'm just not very au fait with the more technical side of using PCs, I'm more a software user having trained in the full suite of MS Office products.

Eh, to be honest it's one of those things that's not as technical as it sounds.

Which is something that's always bothered me with PC's: They manage to make SO MANY things seem... I dunno... intimidating? Like [insert activity here] is going to be this big thing that requires 20 hours of research and blah blah blah, it makes you think that, when in reality it takes 10 minutes of search-engine use and some reading. Or maybe 10 minutes of just jabbing at parts of it yourself until something happens (certainly my usual method). You know, that sort of thing. PCs have gotten very good at that, despite it making no sense at all. You'd think they'd be EASIER to use now, after all these years of progression. But no. I honestly think that they've just gotten HARDER to use. More unnecessary gibberish involved.

I just blame Windows for all of it. I know Windows has nothing to do with Chromebook machines, but let's just blame them anyway.

There, that's my mini-rant for the day, got that out of my system.

Spock: "Captain, isn't it logical that for everyone to utilize a PC with an open source OS?"
Kirk: "There's no profit incentive with non-proprietary, open-source computer operating systems."
Spock: "But Captain, they run so much more efficiently."
Kirk: "Doesn't matter, Spock. No bucks, no Buck Rogers. Unnecessary bloatware is what count$."
Spock: "Captain, who or what is Buck Rogers?"
Kirk:"Never mind Spock. We'll make a capitalist of you yet."
Spock: "I hope not."
Kirk: "Show me the money, Spock!"
Spock: "Highly illogical, Captain."
Kirk: "Party-pooper."
Spock:"Captain, I do not attend parties."
Kirk: "Exactly, Spock."
Bones: "Doesn't matter anyways. Spock is a damned computer himself!"
Spock: "Why thank you, doctor."
Bones: "See? He's dead, Jim."
Kirk: "I think you're right, Bones. Say Spock, isn't Commander Data as proprietary as it gets?"
Spock: "That's another show, Captain."
Kirk: "Oh yeah, Spock. Quite right."

Last edited:
Unfortunately they don't have a "nearly spat my coffee out over my keyboard" button so I'll have to settle for "funny" :)

New Threads

Top Bottom