• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Problem taking care of my brother's puppy

Jorg

As the title says, I'm starting to have a problem taking care of her. And my mother and other brother too.

The 4month old puppy fell from a 3rd floor last friday and luckily only fractured her pelvis. As my brother and his girlfriend work on day and live 40miles away from our house they asked if we could take care of the dog for 2 weeks, only rest, food and some meds. She got here saturday afternoon.

Even when I love animals and we've had a dog for 8 years and another for 9years before (like 17 in total) my mother (most) my brother and now I, are starting to feel a little uncomfortable with the puppy. She sleeps inside the house and rest all day in it, she sometimes cries but the worst are at 6pm and 6am when she prepares to eat.

Cleaning when she goes to the bathroom is starting to get me anxious (and with the cries too) and I'm starting to feel exhausted. My brother, who lives with us, works in the morning until 8pm and he's studing also, the only time he uses to study is around 5am when everybody is sleep but the puppy starts cryng for food.

I heard my mother saying she had to take anxiety pills again since sunday and I'm a little anxious too.

I don't know what to do, could it be inconsiderate to ask my brother if he or his girlfrind could take vacations to take care of her? As I said I love animals but it is starting to affect my family.

She needs recovery time Jorg, so you'll need to be really kind with her. Cleaning up after her, and holding her. Your brother can help by feeding her because he's up and could take responsibility too. She requires a lot of care, and will need you to look after her. Everyone there should pitch in and help to help her heal. It's necessary for her health.

Because your brother is working, and unable to care for her. He's counting on you and your brother and mother to care for her. If she's in pain and crying she needs to be cuddled with and not left on her own. Set up a bed in your room where she can see you, so she won't be so lonely. If she's caged, then put the cage nearby where she can see you or other family members. She'll heal better, if she gets lots of attention and care. Brush her, touch her, she's afraid, alone and in pain.

Well, we made her another "nest" but in the backyard, well not backyard, like a back patio which is under roof and with windows so there's no rain nor wind entering the place and tile floor. Sorrounded by furniture and my mother bought her a "fluffly" cloth so she can sleep warm, we even build a kind of roof for her nest but I don't think she has slept "outside" in her life so in this moment she's crying. Most of the day she was asleep. Btw this patio shares a wall and windows with my bedroom so I can watch out for her, and well I go to bed late everyday so...

Also in this patio lives my other dog, a 8yo golden retriever so she's not as lonely. We add a division between the two so no contact is allowed and she sleeps easy, but in any case it looks my golden retriever is freaked about her because he tries to get away from her everytime LOL.

The problem is my mom is not a "inside the house pet" person so it was even a miracle the puppy could live inside the house since saturday. And yesterday we had to do a lot of cleaning because of the smell.

The puppy looks like is recovering well, today she walked a little from her bed and doesn't cry when she goes to the bathroom. Today was the last day of her pain medications and only requires an "antiacid" for her stomach and rest.

I'll try to upload a pic or video so you can check her out. At the time I ended writting this she stopped crying and went to sleep.

Looking after a dog is responsibility. Even more so a 4 month old puppy recovering from injury.

I'd be inclined to agree with Mia, everyone can lend a hand with the chores involved in caring for and cleaning up after the pup.

Many dogs use noise signal for purpose. The 'crying' could signal anything, discomfort, loneliness, fear, hunger, especially in one so young.

One advantage with animals is that they bounce back quickly from the type of injury you've described. (If we were to compare it to human recovery time) The extra work involved at the moment won't be forever.
(If your brother is taking her back after two weeks)

It sounds encouraging she's toileting okay and getting up from her bed. If you're worried about any part of her recovery whilst she's in your care, perhaps you could call a veterinarian for advice?

Well, after 2 weeks today my brother takes the puppy home. Since last week she walks normal, even runs. This week she tried to escape the nest we made her several times, pushing the walls hehehe

Yesterday I watched her standing on the back legs and today she's running and jumping. Although she probably needs some more rest, she definetly is looking a lot better for the kind of accident he had.

New Threads

Top Bottom