• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Problem driving and getting lost

Jacinto yes! Ive often had to call for directions and have found myself in desolate areas. I keep my gas tank full, my phone charged, my iPad with me and pepper spray.
I leave early for appointments to allow for lost time.
At least you would get lost with pizza! Lol
i no longer panic, although it is uncomfortable when i get lost but that is interesting that it might be an Aspie thing.
Not driving is not an option for me. I refuse to give up because of a difficulty. The agoraphobia is part of the problem too, it causes visual disturbances snd thinking clearly is almost impossible outside the comfort snd safety of home.

Phone? A cheap, good Android will do. As for the iPad - I wouldn't carry that. Mainly a power bank. Don't carry anything you wouldn't be prepared to lose.

Just a cell phone will do. Get some apps, and keep a good paper map or atlas in the car. Simple. Some people need pepper spray? I lived in an extremely dangerous region and did fine without that or gun.

I wish gps services were cheaper and you didn’t have to have a pc to update. They have road construction events on them. There are a few tech work arounds for some but not many. One thing I hate is road signs sometimes are wrong or missing. I got lost a whole hour once because a detour sign was wrong and it was pitch dark. Since it was dark I didn’t know if the road was good enough to ignore the sign. I finally found a stranger in a store parking lot and asked about the situation. Lucky me, he was a delivery person and knew the sign was wrong and what to do. The stupid sign had me on a continuous loop between two cities. ALmost every exit on the freeway was closed.

I'm advising you to put all you can into canned food and shotguns.

I'll take an M4 or two as well. Can't forget the optics too. You've got to hit 'em square in the head from a distance when you can.

Bit knackered if it's that. I was thinking the first half-hour of 28 Days Later or something.

Ok you thread hijackers, for what it’s worth, Just give me a good hiding place to avoid the flay until the coup is over.

It is a serious problem I’m struggling with but i found some info by Googling getting lost. It seems that up to 30% of Aspies have what is called place-blindness.
So with the information i found i can put together some work arounds to help me get from point A to point B without too much anxiety. As if life isnt hard enough, right?
Happy Trails!

Can you post the useful links you found. .id googles getting lost and didn’t find anything that wasn’t just usual stuff.

I get lost all the time. But if I didn't want to get lost, I'd use GPS. Thing is, I want to get lost, because usually if I'm getting lost it's because I'm in a new place. I always block out plenty of time under the assumption that I'll get lost going somewhere new, and then I just wing it. I always find where I'm needing to go, and all that lost-getting gets me familiar with the streets in that new place, as well.

I love street view. I like to pull up all the intersections along a trip route and look for landmarks. Considering how some of the roads are marked here I'm better off looking for that mini mart or the blue house on the corner than trying to find a tiny street sign that may not be there, or is mixed in with 4 others.

I love street view too, but for some reason haven’t used it. Now that I know I have a problem that isn’t going to just go away, im going to start using that! Thank you icequeen, excellent idea.

Google Street View is useful when you don't know the area, along with Flickr. Best bit is when you get some genius sticking two fingers up or sticking their arse out. Classy.

Looking for landmarks with street view is the key. Street names alone arent enough. I have some dyslexia too so the right vs left thing is challenging but with landmarks it sill be easier. I hope.
I havent tried gps in about 9 years, do it is most probably much better now. I hadnt realized it had been so long ago. A Maggellan it was called and i gave it away. My iPad has gps with voice directions, I’ll try it. I keep a charger in the van for it so no problems there.
Thanks for the help and suggestions.

New Threads

Top Bottom