• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Problem driving and getting lost

BraidedPony

Enjoying life and glad to be alive!
V.I.P Member
I’ve lived in this small to medium sized city for 22 years and i get lost almost every time I go somewhere. Is this an Aspie thing? I have just started driving again after about 9 years of staying home. I was diagnosed with agoraphobia back in the late 1970’s.
So, before going out i Google map my trip of a couple miles (this is embarrassing) visualize each turn, plan what lane to be in etc. But I either turn too soon, too late, think I’m on the wrong street, or sometimes it’s a mystery how i end up lost.
Does this happen to anyone else? Any tricks to compensate?
Thank you.

I don’t understand. I’ve tried the navigation things that say when to turn but I don’t trust them, i think they are wrong and then i cant really stay in my lane properly because this thing i dont trust is talking to me.
If that is what a tat nav is.
Or a tattoo of a map? Lol

I can only suggest a sat nav. Get a good one, set it on a reasonable volume and go from there. Or use a mobile phone.

If you get lost and you can't work a sat nav, best to give up driving?

I’ve lived in this small to medium sized city for 22 years and i get lost almost every time I go somewhere. Is this an Aspie thing? I have just started driving again after about 9 years of staying home. I was diagnosed with agoraphobia back in the late 1970’s.
So, before going out i Google map my trip of a couple miles (this is embarrassing) visualize each turn, plan what lane to be in etc. But I either turn too soon, too late, think I’m on the wrong street, or sometimes it’s a mystery how i end up lost.
Does this happen to anyone else? Any tricks to compensate?
Thank you.
You’re probably just fine. You have not driven for 9 years. When a person does not drive, they zone out or are busy talking and don’t look at land marks and such. I can be like that somewhat when I can’t physically drive for long period. I have to get reacquainted with some roads less traveled and the car again.

Dude I'm so glad you posted this. This is a HUGE problem for me. I get lost every time I leave the stupid house. GPS doesn't help - it lies to me. It's the most frustrating thing in the world. I can go out, just, for instance, for a pack of cigarettes or whatever, and moments later I have no idea where I am. Nothing looks familiar. I've had to call my family from the side of the road because I drove until I ran out of gas in the middle of the night so many times that they finally took my truck. Seriously, it's at their house - I'm a pedestrian now because of this!

One time I ended up in the next city 30 miles away. Another time I wound up in a bad part of town out of gas & no money on me and had to sell my watch for gas money & directions.

MAPS have streets that don't actually exist, streets with names that are different from the name on the street's SIGNS, and there are streets that exist on this plane of existence BUT NOT ON THE MAP!

I once had a job delivering pizza - it was without a doubt the worst thing I could've tried to do. Some people got their pizza twice, some got it very late, most got none whatsoever. And I did not make much in tips. I'm surprised Domino's is still in business after the week I worked for them.

Just saying I feel your pain. Got no solutions for you, sorry.

For in-town navigation, get a bicycle and take leisure rides regularly. Start off taking small loops and as you get more comfortable, venture out farther. You'll be familiar with your city in no time.

Then, you can go to the same places by car, when you need to.

I read maps extremely well. It’s peoples directions I can’t stand. On Google maps if a road name changes, if you zoom in and blow it up real big it will show one road name overlapping the other. Satelight navigators are the most accurate although they can be wrong sometimes. But keeping it updated helps. I usually try to have a regular map or google map to double check anything I question. Businesses are sometimes wrong on satelite navigators like hotels and restaurants.

I get lost so easily just going for walks I always need someone with me.

I ironically I'm very good at reading maps and always did well in geography in school.

This is a problem some people with autism have. Others don't and some are even extremely good at navigating.

I don’t understand. I’ve tried the navigation things that say when to turn but I don’t trust them, i think they are wrong and then i cant really stay in my lane properly because this thing i dont trust is talking to me.
So you have used a sat nav but didn't listen to it? No wonder you are getting lost. My dad does that and it drives me mad, especially when he later complains about the sat nav being useless when he does get lost, due to ignoring the sat nav!

Back home in the states,I can go someplace once and remember how to get there almost every time without fail. Here in Japan with their maze of a road system and can't read the signs, I get lost pretty much in the same way Jacinto described. One time I drove in circles for 6 hours trying to find my way home.. Haha

I don't have a problem navigating. I'm actually quite good at reading maps finding my way around places.

Jacinto yes! Ive often had to call for directions and have found myself in desolate areas. I keep my gas tank full, my phone charged, my iPad with me and pepper spray.
I leave early for appointments to allow for lost time.
At least you would get lost with pizza! Lol
i no longer panic, although it is uncomfortable when i get lost but that is interesting that it might be an Aspie thing.
Not driving is not an option for me. I refuse to give up because of a difficulty. The agoraphobia is part of the problem too, it causes visual disturbances snd thinking clearly is almost impossible outside the comfort snd safety of home.

I do not understand why people say gps, or mobile phone apps “lie” to them, or that they do not trust them. I have always gotten easily lost, and these technologies have truly changed my life for the better. You can utilize more than one source if you feel one is not accurate. I usually use 2 different ones, as I hate driving expressways, and would rather take a longer, less stressful, or more scenic route. The apps generally advise the expressways, and for every weird or wrong direction, I find they are accurate for 20 others. Big deal. If one app is not good, just find another. I use waze (inaccurate a tiny bit of the time) , and google.

I collect and utilize old skool paper maps, two gps apps, and even use google earth quite frequently for even more details. They have kept me sane and exploring this complex world we all live in.

So, before going out i Google map my trip of a couple miles (this is embarrassing) visualize each turn, plan what lane to be in etc.

Not embarrassing whatsoever. I do the very same thing. I live in an enormourmous urban region of city and urban sprawl spanning 5 counties, and many hundreds of square miles of wall to wall city congestion, expressways, one way streets, and controlled access roads. I use google earth to see the exit lanes, and how to even find entrances to malls and stores.

I get lost so easily just going for walks I always need someone with me.

What you need is a purpose-built Garmin GPS system, along with a power bank, along with a mobile phone. If you're setting out you might want a backpack too with drinks and a sandwich in. You really shouldn't get lost in most of England, and always carry a bit of money with you in case.

It really also depends on if you're assertive enough not to be taken advantage of, too.

New Threads

Top Bottom