• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Prejudice is lifting rapidly ( not against humans)

If they hadn't called the R word, I wouldn't call them the M word.

Do you see?

Yes. I see.

Apparently you believe that because another person
behaves badly, that gives you permission to behave
equally badly.

Thanks for explaining. :)

I haven't read through your thread here but I did read your entire OP so I apologize if I repeat something already covered but I myself am against all those pills. After a lot of research which I implore you to do yourself, I have come to the conclusion that they are not for me, but I have intense anxiety (also ptsd like you)

Mindfulness meditation, Exposure Response Therapy, the real hard work kind of stuff, that's what is shown to work in many studies
That is what changed my life from too afraid to order a pizza over the phone, to world traveler, sales person (best on the whole team) social butterfly.

A lot of therapies involve taking meds and you still have to do the hard work meditation/exposures to cope/lessen/control anxiety or you can just do the hard work.. so I figured why bother with the pills

Now I totally understand using the pills as a bit of a crutch while you start the hard work, to make it a little easier but I promise you no pill is magic and anxiety (the intense kind ptsd gives you) will be controlled with mindfulness, not pills alone.

Anxiety forums online are FILLED with people on medication, unable to work or enjoy life.

Please research these drugs, and how they effect the body, and how they are allowed on the market under very suspicious circumstances,

More importantly please research mindfulness meditation if you're not already aware of it!
I belong to many support groups with real doctors involved who all agree this is the ONLY real hope/help for severe anxiety sufferers.

just my 0.02.

best of luck to you whatever you decide to do, I know it is a very tough place to be.

I also second any of the comments above talking about nutrition. the standard diet we eat alters our hormones and creates higher levels of cortisol, which is responsible for our anxiety.

Personally I eat a ketogenic diet with intermittent fasting/extended fasting I could go on for ages on this topic but this doesn't seem the place unless asked :)

@chocoholic and @Veruca Salt I feel like it’s rather dangerous to advice people against taking medication. You’re not medical professionals, and you’re definitely not Suzanne’s doctors.

I respect that not everyone agrees with western medicine, but I don’t think you should be advising people to go against their doctors’ advice. That can have serious consequences.

@Bolletje l have no idea where you got that from. I suggested that she works with her doctor to come off medication when her diet relieves her symptoms. You are confusing me with the last poster.

@chocoholic and @Veruca Salt I feel like it’s rather dangerous to advice people against taking medication. You’re not medical professionals, and you’re definitely not Suzanne’s doctors.

I respect that not everyone agrees with western medicine, but I don’t think you should be advising people to go against their doctors’ advice. That can have serious consequences.

we are talking about anxiety medication, not heart medication also I'm not sure I said the words 'go off your meds' which would cause withdrawal obviously.

Oh and sorry 'doctor' does not = infallible god, they lie for profit regularly and do not impress me in any way with their title, other than the hard work it took memorizing and regurgitating their lessons to become doctors, says nothing at all to their individual ability to think critically and be moral.

Next time you want to reprimand me, perhaps actually accuse me of something I did rather than strawman me, thank you.

Brains are complicated things, and occasionally the chemistry can get out of balance. If a medicine is available to correct this imbalance, great. Unfortunately, there are a great many doctors our there (and patients as well) trying to take the easy way out with pills to adjust the symptoms rather than the underlying problem. This often leads to more pills to fix the problems caused by the original pills. The result is a drugged out zombie. A classic case would be Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys. He was eventually able to get off the meds and his condition improved.

My advice is to make sure any drugs you are prescribed address the actual problem, and are not being used for "enhancement" or "adjustment." It is the responsibility of the patient to ask for, and if necessary demand, an explanation.

A few years ago I was prescribed Sertraline as an antidepressant. It sort of worked, but caused anxiety and suicidal thoughts (which was the last thing I needed since I was being treated for suicidal thoughts). I stopped taking it after a year and replaced it with seasonal use of St. John's Wort, which has worked great without the side effects.

I pick the St. John's Wort that grows around here wild,
dry it, and make tea from it. I have about 2 gallons
of dried plant material right now.

St. John's Day is the 24th of June.

st-johns-wort-flower-400x322.jpg

I'm new and idk how to upvote or anything but I would upvote this if I could! 100%

The rating symbols are in the lower right
corner of each post. Clicking on one
will make the rating appear in your reply.

upload_2018-5-30_15-44-15.png

Like/Agree/Funny/Winner/Informative/Friendly/Useful/Optimistic/Creative

clear.png
clear.png

I'm very cautious of drugs myself but I have found them to be very helpful at times. Sometimes unavoidable, surprise stresses and overload just make it impossible to get myself able to calm down and function. Diet, exercise, and other stuff are certainly helpful and are obviously the best, but there just are times when it's too much for those things to work all by themselves. It's risky, sure, but I think that when the anxiety is so bad it's enough to make you sick that the risk is worth it. Stress, anxiety, ect.. have side effects as well as the pills and when I have a pill that works for me I sleep better, feel better, eat better. Not that every pill in every dose is ok for everyone. And you do need to get a good doctor and even then things can end up a mess. But still, sometimes it's good to have a pill. Good luck @Suzanne. Glad you found something to help.

It isn't that pharmaceuticals are conditionally good or bad. It's just that it may take time and effort to find one that works the best for you. Not only in reducing whatever symptoms you find to be distressing, but also in a minimum of side effects. Sometimes it can be difficult in attaining a sort of balance of the two.

I've managed bipolar disorder on my own between ages 13 and 26. By the time I was 26, I just couldn't do it anymore. And what was worse, was the stress of raising two children made my mind a mess. Eventually I had relationship issues when was even worse. I had racing thoughts, suicidal episodes, etc. I got on my first antidepressant, Wellbutrin, on Nov 20, 2008. It worked a bit for me, but caused anxiety, which I was put on Klonopin for. In the end, for the relationship stress issues as well as the Wellbutrin, I attempted suicide, though was stopped before I could OD. So as you can imagine, my first foray into medication wasn't great. But I didn't give up. I kept trying new medications to see what worked, and what didn't. I was hospitalized due to side effects from Abilify, but currently experience little side effects from my current medication. One medication I'm taking because the side effect is sleepiness, so I'm using it to sleep at night (horrible insomnia). Now I'm on terrific medication that manages my moods. I've taken a DBT class (though keep asking my therapist for a chance to go back and relearn), and have an Intensive Outpatient Program therapist. I work carefully with my psychiatrist and therapist to manage my medications as well as coping and mindfulness strategies. I've also gotten into a low-stress environment. Before, my bipolar was severe enough I couldn't work and was accepted for SSI due to disability. Now I'm being cleared for part-time work to see how well I can manage stress, with hopes for full-time work in the future. Medication, therapy, and life changes saved me. I've just gotten on a new medication as well and it's helped immensely.

If your medications are working for you, definitely keep up taking them. Don't let people pressure you into thinking a natural solution is the only solution. If you can find a natural solution, that's great. Regular exercise and a good diet, for instance, help immensely. So does an appropriate amount of sun exposure (too much can affect mood just as well as having too little). It may help just enough, but if it doesn't, there's nothing wrong with medication. I will be on medication for bipolar disorder for life, and I've accepted that. Sometimes brain chemistry is just off and medication is necessary. One of my favorite autistic authors, Temple Grandin, takes a low dose of antidepressants for her anxiety. And I applaud her for being open about it. There's a stigma attached to being medicated, and it needs to stop. There's nothing wrong with medication, if that's what works for you.

I get what you mean, but what I do is look at the root meaning of the word and "retard" I believe, means, slowing up, so in this case, slowing negative effects.

As for Americans, my spiritual mom is American and my best friend is too. And well, are you saying that no ones from the uk are offensive towards you?

I used to post on the UK section of gamefaqs.com, and yes I was abused on there even worse than by the Yanks in the majority of cases.

Consequently I got banned for "fighting back", because the American Mods sided with the trolls and their exceedingly large, probably hacked, post counts.

New Threads

Top Bottom