• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Potassium Deficiency and Those on the Autism Spectrum

I've read a few supposedly proven methods but from my understanding, one must - no pun intended - take all this with a grain of salt.

If you're on medication, especially long-term, your doctor should tell you about the side-effects including nutritional aspects like mineral and vitamin deficencies.

did you the model for human vit min requirements was designed by two horse veterinarians in the u.s.a had no detailed knowledge of human requirements
I've read a few supposedly proven methods but from my understanding, one must - no pun intended - take all this with a grain of salt.

If you're on medication, especially long-term, your doctor should tell you about the side-effects including nutritional aspects like mineral and vitamin deficencies.

Potassium can be an excellent supplement. But a universal "cure" for much of anything might be a stretch. And of course with minerals too much of a good thing can potentially be a bad one as well.

Though it solved a coworker's problem many years ago when he would nearly pass out when he stood upright. He saw a number of doctors who couldn't figure it out. Finally he found one who simply told him to take potassium and the condition went away in about a day.

For potassium I tend to eat bananas regularly.

I have heard different theories and possible “cures” concerning autism. Recently I was engaged in an informal conversation at work (several standing around chit-chatting) about nothing in particular when someone brought up the subject of natural living, etc. I have several friends that subscribe to that lifestyle. They eat only organic, do not believe in doctors, use natural treatments for various things, etc.

As I listened in, it was suggested that potassium can help those with autism. Since I am not overly knowledgeable in the area of natural living, I didn’t say much. According to the one speaking, a potassium deficiency can bring about a number of effects with one being autism. I’m confident that I’m not correctly sharing what was conveyed, but it still struck me as a bizarre statement.

So, has anyone heard of a link between a potassium deficiency and autism? I’ve found a number of links, but there are so many articles it’s difficult gleaning what is useful or correct.
a nutrition guide says heart and blood circulation and muscle function ,deficiency nervousness ,dry skin:well known thirst irregular heart beat,

Well, that sounds a bit odd... I don't think that taking your vitamins will make autism just vanish, I'm afraid that's in the wiring, not the minerals. But it would be interesting to know if potassium actually did have an effect, perhaps it just helps with moods? That could help with autism, or just about anything if it did that.

a nutrition guide says heart and blood circulation and muscle function ,deficiency nervousness ,dry skin:well known thirst irregular heart beat,
loss of reflexes,muscle weakness,mental confusion,respiratory failure,heart problems , but go and get a blood test as it could cancer or another terminal disease at the root i take 550 mg a day but I'm always dehydrated from IBS
If you buy it get the best you can afford as it could be mixed with a lot of chalk.or talc

its mix of proteins and carbs vit b magnesium ,iron, vit e ,vit a, vit c,potassium,choline(increases brain activity)taurine( for development of children )found in marine animals ,L-phenylalanine (mental retardation), are the biggies
Well, that sounds a bit odd... I don't think that taking your vitamins will make autism just vanish, I'm afraid that's in the wiring, not the minerals. But it would be interesting to know if potassium actually did have an effect, perhaps it just helps with moods? That could help with autism, or just about anything if it did that.

I took potassium and Lasix ( a diuretic ) to prevent water retention ( edema ). This a way to treat congestive heart failure. The potassium was to make up for what I lost due to excessive urination. Because I am prone to dehydration, this made a balancing act between dehydration and edema. I just could not do it and told my cardiologist about it. He adjusted my meds and told me to quit taking the potassium right away. I asked why and he said the potassium in that quantity was bad for my heart. He told me that I get enough potassium in my diet and if I wanted a little more to eat a few bananas a week.

Not believing in doctors and taking extra potassium sounds like bad advice to me, but maybe that is just me.

I have heard of a type of potassium deficiency that causes lidocaine to not work and some adhd/autistic traits but I don't think there is much research or info out there about it. Can't remember where I read about it but I think I read it in a book somewhere years ago.

I have heard different theories and possible “cures” concerning autism. Recently I was engaged in an informal conversation at work (several standing around chit-chatting) about nothing in particular when someone brought up the subject of natural living, etc. I have several friends that subscribe to that lifestyle. They eat only organic, do not believe in doctors, use natural treatments for various things, etc.

As I listened in, it was suggested that potassium can help those with autism. Since I am not overly knowledgeable in the area of natural living, I didn’t say much. According to the one speaking, a potassium deficiency can bring about a number of effects with one being autism. I’m confident that I’m not correctly sharing what was conveyed, but it still struck me as a bizarre statement.

So, has anyone heard of a link between a potassium deficiency and autism? I’ve found a number of links, but there are so many articles it’s difficult gleaning what is useful or correct.
Sounds pretty sketchy to me. When someone starts saying that the doctors are wrong and all you really need is a certain vitamin and to live organically, alarms go off in my head. Also, as far as Potassium, could it be that the diet of Aspies is not necessarily sufficient in Potassium? I know that my son has a limited diet, I imagine that he might be low in Potassium, his limited diet is why we have him take vitamin supplements. Or, the meds that some of us take could result in low Potassium. So, yeah, good idea to supplement with vitamins, but it's not a so called "cure" or whatever, it's actually just a result. A lot of conclusions have been made about a lot of conditions that supposedly show "A" results in "B" are not necessarily true but the opposite can be shown to be true, "A" happens because of "C" which is something that "B" type people are predisposed to.

yes but doctors don't tell you everything about every medicine you take and they are narrow minded about therapies that aren't synthetic if orthodox medicine is so pure why are there thousands of children with shortened limbs from the thalidomide drug for morning sickness and why are people resistant to antibiotics because doctors didn't take the time to analyse their health problem doctors are not demi gods they are weak feeble humans
I took potassium and Lasix ( a diuretic ) to prevent water retention ( edema ). This a way to treat congestive heart failure. The potassium was to make up for what I lost due to excessive urination. Because I am prone to dehydration, this made a balancing act between dehydration and edema. I just could not do it and told my cardiologist about it. He adjusted my meds and told me to quit taking the potassium right away. I asked why and he said the potassium in that quantity was bad for my heart. He told me that I get enough potassium in my diet and if I wanted a little more to eat a few bananas a week.

Not believing in doctors and taking extra potassium sounds like bad advice to me, but maybe that is just me.

did you the model for human vit min requirements was designed by two horse veterinarians in the u.s.a had no detailed knowledge of human requirements

Today, there are numerous government health organizations (different ones in different countries, plus the World Health Organization) that are responsible for establisihing guidelines around human nutrient intake

These organizations base their guidelines around research; When there is no knowldge about a potential nutrient you'll find no guidelines; When there is minimal knowledge, you'll find conservative guidelines with disclaimers about the lack of in-depth knowledge.

Last edited:
yes but doctors don't tell you everything about every medicine you take and they are narrow minded about therapies that aren't synthetic

I think it's just what they're taught to do (which is sad)...and they don't everything, like you said -- so it's better to be cautious than to okay a treatment you know nothing about. (Some of them could be more respectful about how they do it, though -- and acknowledge a lack of knowledge on their own part rather than presuming that if they don't know about it, it must be bogus....I had a really good doctor once that told me to bring him research studies if I wanted to talk about treatments he was unaware of, and he would actually read them; I wish all doctors were like that.)

On the subject of vitamins curing autism, my thoughtts: eh.....curing no, helping maybe, in a subset of cases where this is some actual sign of deficiency. I've heard theories about deficiences in vitamin D and B12 in autism, but not potassium. Potassium is fairly easy to get without supplements, though: Eat bananas and potatoes (a baked potato with skin has more potassium than a banana) and various other fruits and veggies.

Last edited:
No it's because in the uk the government pay their wage so they kowtow to the drug companies
I think it's just what they're taught to do (which is sad)...and they don't everything, like you said -- so it's better to be cautious than to okay a treatment you know nothing about. (Some of them could be more respectful about how they do it, though -- and acknowledge a lack of knowledge on their own part rather than presuming that if they don't know about it, it must be bogus....I had a really good doctor once that told me to bring him research studies if I wanted to talk about treatments he was unaware of, and he would actually read them; I wish all doctors were like that.)

On the subject of vitamins curing autism, eh.....curing no, helping maybe, in a subset of cases where this is some actual sign of deficiency. I've heard theories about deficiences in vitamin D and B12 in autism, but not potassium. Potassium is fairly easy to get without supplements, though: Eat bananas and potatoes (a baked potato with skin has more potassium than a banana) and various other fruits and veggies.
'

Show me plenty of research and tests and a good old fashioned scientific study that can be replicated and I'll believe it. :)

No it's because in the uk the government pay their wage so they kowtow to the drug companies
'

In Canada doctors are paid by the government as well (mostly -- some things you have to pay out of pocket, but not very much).

Drug companies do have an alarming amount of influence in the medical field -- if nothing else, because they are a huge (maybe the biggest? I wouldn't be surprised but I don't know) source of funding for research.

I also know that doctors themselves get visits from drug reps who offer free samples and the like....very concerning stuff.

Personally, though, I think that while the influence of corporate greed in medicine is quite real, I don't think it is the only factor involved when doctors dismiss non-mainstream remedies or patient concerns.

New Threads

Top Bottom