• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Post something Weird or Random

I would like to see someone parallel park it. :)
There's some people that can reverse 3 trailers accurately but most wouldn't try more than 2. You won't see road trains like that in the eastern states either, they restrict trucks to only 2 trailers. Most common is 3 trailers in the other states, that's their limit on major highways otherwise they're just too long for cars to overtake. In remote areas though you get to see all sorts of things.

There's some people that can reverse 3 trailers accurately but most wouldn't try more than 2. You won't see road trains like that in the eastern states either, they restrict trucks to only 2 trailers. Most common is 3 trailers in the other states, that's their limit on major highways otherwise they're just too long for cars to overtake. In remote areas though you get to see all sorts of things.

This is a Norwegian road train:

1711467443660.png

:D My dad drove rigs like that and the maximum length you could legally drive on Norwegian roads was 24 meters. So those Australian ones are crazy long from my point of view.

:D My dad drove rigs like that and the maximum length you could legally drive on Norwegian roads was 24 meters. So those Australian ones are crazy long from my point of view.
Here the limit on main roads is 53 metres, and there's only set routes they're allowed to use in the major cities. Out on mine sites seven trailers is common, until they get to a major roadway, then they're broken down in to smaller loads.

[Edit] I forgot to mention, most of Australia is fairly flat, that makes a difference too.

Here the limit on main roads is 53 metres, and there's only set routes they're allowed to use in the major cities. Out on mine sites seven trailers is common, until they get to a major roadway, then they're broken down in to smaller loads.

I have been watching several Australian shows lately, like Gem Hunters Down Under, Aussie Gold Hunters, Outback Car Hunters, Outback Opal Hunters, Aussie Salvage Squad and Kangaroo Fight Club. (I made up the last one) :D

And I have seen some interesting road trains, people, places and other stuff. It's a facinating country. I recommend all those shows to forum members who would like to see some Australian nature and rugged Australians and other things.

And I have seen some interesting road trains, people, places and other stuff. It's a facinating country. I recommend all those shows to forum members who would like to see some Australian nature and rugged Australians and other things.
It's an amazing place to explore, most tourists just don't have the time to get out of the cities much though, it's a big place. There's a lot of people that have lived here all their lives and seen even less than the tourist too though, remote places and desert country aren't everyone's cup of tea.

I have been watching several Australian shows lately, like Gem Hunters Down Under, Aussie Gold Hunters, Outback Car Hunters, Outback Opal Hunters, Aussie Salvage Squad
Opals always fascinated me. In another thread @Judge queried me about high temperatures in desert regions, I forgot to mention one of our weirdest mining towns - Coober Pedy. Most of the people there live underground because of the heat.

My weird uncle was one of the first miners in Coober Pedy, which means "White man in a hole." The homes began as a by-product of the mining. It was just more pleasant staying at work than on the surface.

Opals always fascinated me. In another thread @Judge queried me about high temperatures in desert regions, I forgot to mention one of our weirdest mining towns - Coober Pedy. Most of the people there live underground because of the heat.

I saw Coober Pedy on Opal Hunters just a few days ago.

Makes sense to me. Especially having visited the Chollar Mine in Virginia City Nevada on a very hot summer day. Going into that mine was a fascinating experience, but also quite refreshing. Though watch your step- and head!

Makes sense to me. Especially having visited the Chollar Mine in Virginia City Nevada on a very hot summer day. Going into that mine was a fascinating experience, but also quite refreshing. Though watch your step- and head!
In Coober Pedy there was no one main mine, instead up to a thousand individuals all dug their own shafts. As @Shevek mentioned above, digging out a home inside your own mine shaft made simple common sense. The entire area is riddled with open shafts, not somewhere to go walking late at night, and it has a reputation as being a great place to dump bodies.

Noodling is a common hobby for a lot of people, sorting through old slag heaps looking for pieces that were missed by the original miners. One of my aunts used to make a living out of that, finding small bits of opal and potch and turning them in to jewellery.

Noodling is a common hobby for a lot of people, sorting through old slag heaps looking for pieces that were missed by the original miners.

We have something similar here, we don't have opal but we have emeralds. There is an old emerald mine where people can go and search slag heaps. It's actually the only emerald mine in North Europe. Once in a while someone finds something big.

1711640065628.png
1711640099673.png

We have something similar here, we don't have opal but we have emeralds. There is an old emerald mine where people can go and search slag heaps. It's actually the only emerald mine in North Europe. Once in a while someone finds something big.
There's a lot of people in northern regions that apply for a prospector's lease too. You mark out an area on a map and search it for valuable gems and metals. A lot of people that get these leases aren't really interested in prospecting all that much, instead the lease gives them exclusive access to land that they can use as a holiday home and bush retreat. You're not allowed to build any permanent structures on a prospecting lease but in very remote areas who's going to notice?

The Northern Territory has less than 1 person for every 5 square kilometres.

That sounds nice. I saw something on Aussie Gold Hunters called the Pilbara region and Pilbara goldfield. A lot of open space there. And strangely red soil, very red soil.

That sounds nice. I saw something on Aussie Gold Hunters called the Pilbara region and Pilbara goldfield. A lot of open space there. And strangely red soil, very red soil.
Most of Australia has that iconic red dirt, the colour comes from a high iron content. The Pilbara is at the top of Western Australia, very beautiful country but also incredibly hot. I've been to see Lake Argyle which is on the eastern edge of the Pilbara, for a long time that was the largest man made lake in the southern hemisphere and also home to the Argyle diamond mine.

New Threads

Top Bottom