• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

possible reasons aspergers wasn't recognized in the 50's and 60's?

Another reason why I wasn't diagnosed early on was that excuses or alternative explanations were found for my behaviour, due to some difficult circumstances of my upbringing.
Actually I did that to myself, too. For instance: whenever I traveled alone I could not get myself to stop that car and get out - even to use the bathroom. I blamed it on traveling with my family and my dad would never stop to let us go to the bathroom - a 12 hour drive he would stop once, maybe twice at the most. But now I realize that when I'm traveling, my car becomes my comfort zone and it's that I can't leave my comfort zone. I blamed a lot of my struggles on my childhood - a way to make it make sense, I guess.

Dr. Kanner, himself, was probably one of the bigger reasons why autism was rejected as a diagnosis. He claimed that autism was caused by unloving, "refrigerator" mothers. A diagnosis of autism was tantamount to being an accusation! (I still run into those that believe that, now.)

It was only when Dr. Lorna Wing came on the scene that that position was challenged. She had an autistic daughter, Suzy, and knew that she hadn't been cold to her. That motivated her to study autism further, uncovering the findings of Dr. Asperger. (In fact, Dr. Wing was the one who named Asperger's Syndrome, for him.)
Well, my parent's generation was one of the 'don't hold your babies too much' and 'prop' a bottle generation, but I think my grandmother was also autistic. My mom remembers her playing with dolls while my mom took care of her siblings. She worked crossword puzzles 24/7 and my grandp pretty much did all the housework and cleaning. And they always had separate bedrooms and she did not like touch and never showed emotions.
But I probably was happier not being held. My aunt has always said I was the best baby because I never cried and would just sit in my crib and entertain myself.

Too bad it's rated R. An autistic James Bond would be cool.
full

Won't happen, the "fans" reaction to the possibility of a black Bond was bad enough.

I think if you did a "soft autism" Bond it would work: a little eccentric & quirky with an obsession & encyclopedic knowledge of Walther PPKs (why do you think he keeps using that pistol???) & it would be fine. Even interesting. The words "autistic" need never be used...

I think the disabled have always have it bad, except for the few that were lucky or connected. Literature is rife with characters who were excluded, beat up, taunted, killed, etc.

When I was dxed, it was by a kind, accepting PhD psychologist who had two autistic children. It was so safe to be Dxed by her. In my fantasies of a better childhood, I extrapolate backward with that data. But that can't work. Who can tell how that world would have handled that information? Who is to say teachers would have understood or Drs? Or family?

It seems the experience of disability ebbs and flows from safe to unsafe to safe depending on so many individual, social, political, and personal situations.... It's not on some trajectory, but hit or miss.

I am sorry to be negative here. But I think we are heading into a huge ebb, not a flow at all. It seems that once the powers-that-be figured out what disabled people need, they made sure to push that bar down low enough to make it look like they are doing something, but actually making them eek out as miserable an existence as possible ----without overtly killing them.

Of course, in some places they are overtly killed. There are no more Down Syndrome people in Iceland (well, a few squeak by). And while there are politics and personal feeling involved in "curing" the human race of Downs syndrome, it makes me feel sad, unsafe, and scared because once they figure out the genetics of Autism, it is not far behind.

I am one that may have been on the chopping block. I have a chrom 6 disorder causing my autistic traits. I belong to a group of others with kids like me. Almost all of them were offered abortions. Overwhelmingly they are horrified to think about this, despite the difficulties their kids face.

This is not even anti abortion, so please don't go there.....this is OMG, I may have been killed before I saw the light of day. If I want to end my life, fine. But I am not interested in someone else telling me my quality of life sucks or worse, predicting it will suck. That's a horrific trend coming.

So, yeah, going back may have seemed to be great, but you never know.

However, I am more afraid of going forward and where we are headed.

I am sorry to be negative here. But
Good post. Is it being negative or being realistic? Governments always do as little as possible if it does not directly benefit them (those in power.) I think I could say we all understand that. Unless we are a voting block that puts pressure on them things could get really bad. I am keeping my head down. Sry

When I was growing up in the UK in the 60s, there seemed a very clear notion of what was and wasn't good mental health, and if you were capable of speech, of writing, could go to school and do your homework, you were not mentally ill, however awkward, difficult, moody, prone to tantrums and inexplicable you were and your behaviours might have been.

Nobody asked what might be wrong with you, because they just gave you their simplistic labels, like 'troublemaker' or 'loner'. There was no attempt to understand you, since there was nothing for anyone to understand.

At the low functioning end of the spectrum, children were pitied and often incarcerated in institutions they may never have had the opportunity to leave.

Aspergerger's Syndrome was unknown because - as has already been posted - Hans Asperger himself had written up his case histories and notes in German, and they had not been translated or widely circulated, so while autism research was under way, it was biased almost entirely to understanding the low functioning end of the spectrum. Indeed, the fact that autism might be a spectrum at all was not commonly believed.

Whole generations of Aspies were ignored and forced into compliance with societal expectations of 'normality' when most of us were clearly not 'normal' at all, yet that pressure to comply really did nothing more than cause most of us to mask, to some degree or another, and force us to try and be what we really were not.

It's hardly surprising that many feel considerable resentment, looking back, and looking outward.

I dealt with it by isolating myself as much as I could, to avoid dealing with the bullying and name calling, and the otherwise constant undermining of self. I talked as little as possible, and read every book I could find. Books fascinated me in ways the people around me didn't. I dismantled everything I could find to discover how it worked, and sometimes even managed to reassemble things afterwards, though not always. And I listened to the radio (we had no TV), to programmes about architecture, law, physics, astronomy and the universe, and would march off to the local library to research the things I'd heard about.

That's how I survived childhood, and pretty much also how my daughter subsequently did too, because she is also on the spectrum, and we simply had no way to know until much later.

If it had not been for what I understand to have been the deliberate suppression of Asperger's studies for the professional aggrandizement of Kanner and others who came after him, perhaps medical science would have understood us rather better, as it is just beginning to now. But I'd bet that even then, society would have found it far easier to attach their simplistic labels than to understand the complexity of an autism spectrum that the vast major of them have no personal knowledge of.

A01501 - Wow!
You know all the comments I've gotten on this one thread I have learned so much. Thank you all.
And I'm thinking that the forced behavior to be or appear normal was probably the most damaging and the reason we can not figure out who we are in a sense. I think if the world had more knowledge - which it is up to us to spread that knowledge - they would be more apt to allow us to be who we are from the start and maybe work on teaching acceptable behaviors within our abilities instead of trying to totally fix and change us into who we are not.

A01501 - Wow!
You know all the comments I've gotten on this one thread I have learned so much. Thank you all.
And I'm thinking that the forced behavior to be or appear normal was probably the most damaging and the reason we can not figure out who we are in a sense. I think if the world had more knowledge - which it is up to us to spread that knowledge - they would be more apt to allow us to be who we are from the start and maybe work on teaching acceptable behaviors within our abilities instead of trying to totally fix and change us into who we are not.

The need to mask in order to survive and manage in a world not of my making certainly damaged me a great deal, simply because it meant that I never really understood who I was, or how I functioned. Disguising myself for the benefit of the rest of the world also had the consequence that I somewhat disguised myself from me too.

The diagnosis, when it finally came, was such a moment of enlightenment for me, that who I was finally made sense, when I had not made sense to myself before. The last few years then have afforded me the opportunity to understand who I am and to build on my strengths rather than continually do battle with my weaknesses.

There are many individuals in society as a whole who would probably be horrified at the degree to which we have individually been straight-jacketed by their ignorance.

The need to mask in order to survive and manage in a world not of my making certainly damaged me a great deal, simply because it meant that I never really understood who I was, or how I functioned. Disguising myself for the benefit of the rest of the world also had the consequence that I somewhat disguised myself from me too.

The diagnosis, when it finally came, was such a moment of enlightenment for me, that who I was finally made sense, when I had not made sense to myself before. The last few years then have afforded me the opportunity to understand who I am and to build on my strengths rather than continually do battle with my weaknesses.

There are many individuals in society as a whole who would probably be horrified at the degree to which we have individually been straight-jacketed by their ignorance.
Yes. I also was relieved after learning my diagnosis. And I was more able to accept who I was instead of being who I was expected to be. 58 years of horror vs 2 years of peace within myself.

I think if the world had more knowledge - which it is up to us to spread that knowledge - they would be more apt to allow us to be who we are from the start and maybe work on teaching acceptable behaviors within our abilities instead of trying to totally fix and change us into who we are not.

Couldn't agree with you more Pats. If things are going to change for the better for us it's up to us to change perceptions - nobody is going to do it FOR us.
Getting the message out that we are not weird outsiders, not a threat to the fabric of society, just people who process the world differently is important.
If society embraces the opportunity to harness the strengths many of us share (in varying degrees) such as abilities to focus on tasks, absorb and sort information, detect patterns, think pragmatically, devise innovative solutions, think visually or mechanically etc. Then everyone benefits, including us. Until we get that message across we will continue to be marginalised.
Celebrities like Chris Packham who very publicly came out of the AS closet are doing alot to improve the public perception, but it'll take a lot more. We can choose as individuals to hide under a rock but doing so will do nothing to alter the status quo in our favour.

Last edited:
Very interesting thread, thanks Pats and everyone. I experience it as a balanced scale how autism wasn't a thing for bright but odd children especially girls in the 60s and 70s when I was growing up. Yes I spent 50 years or more working it out through many efforts to understand myself and others. On the other hand as some have said, I learned a lot along the way and wasnt labelled and marginalised

Yes it's good to be speaking our truth here maybe, but in the world where we are known we then become the recipients of the cultural stigma based on ignorance and stereotypes which is a powerful force. I experience this devaluing projection from others viscerally, it's depressing and debilitating, and I m working on ways other than lying about who I am to avoid this. I may be some time on that...

I never heard that one before.
“By burying Asperger in history, Kanner obscured the breadth and diversity of the spectrum,” said Silberman. This, in turn, meant “many children who would have been eligible for a diagnosis under Asperger’s more expansive model of autism were left to struggle along on their own in a world not made for them.” That's just one quote but there have been several books and articles written about how Kanner tried to silence Asperger's work.
How Crucial Autism Research Took So Long to Reach Mainstream Psychiatry - The Atlantic

New Threads

Top Bottom