• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pope Francis warns Christians not to proselytize others.

Magna

V.I.P Member
In this article: Pope Warns Jesus Christ Followers Not to Convert Nonbelievers: It's a "Pagan" Activity

Pope Francis warns Christians that "evangelizing" is different than "proselytizing" and that the act of "proselytizing" is pagan. "it is neither religious nor evangelical" according to the Pope.

He also said the following which is quoted in the article:

> "True disciples of Jesus to not proselytize"
>"The last thing I (Christians) should do is try to convince an unbeliever. Never"
>"But listen, the gospel is never, ever advanced through proselytism,"
>"If someone says he is a disciple of Jesus and comes to you with proselytism, he is not a disciple of Jesus."

^ I find the above interesting because it seems to me to be a departure from how many Christians are taught that "bringing people to the Faith" is a Christian duty and in part that duty requires talking about Christianity.

I think this way of thinking would also take the pressure off of many Christians who are expected to proselytize rather than live their own lives but I also think this would be extremely difficult for certain people who are narcissistic and also say that they're deeply religious. I know several such people and I'm all but certain they will strongly disagree with Pope Francis on this because "their way" is right and anyone else's way is "wrong" and they miss no opportunities to point that out to others...

I'm kind of liking this guy more than I used to and I agree with this completely. I would sum up what he said in my opinion as: Do your own thing, live your own life and let others live theirs. If others are interested in how you're living your life in relation to what you believe and they ask you about it, only then should you share your beliefs. My word...isn't that how it should be?!

Last edited:
I actually used to dislike or distrust much of what Pope Francis wrote, but then again I also used to be involved in the ultra-traditional fringe of Catholicism which seems more & more cultlike as time goes on. I believe that he is on the right track with this.
The proselytizer only ends up encouraging more people to remain in whatever they are. There's not exactly any joy in it. Most people want to be happy, to live fulfilling lives. If he wants anyone to get into a religion--then he's explaining about the only way to entice someone in. It's a case of catching more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Pope Francis, to me, is a fascinating figure & I think he's setting interesting precedents. I enjoy reading what he comes up with.

I like this as it's good for sabotaging cult off-shoot churches as this is their primary method of getting victims. If this becomes common and accepted knowledge you'll hopefully have more christians reject predatory advances like those.

I already asked the two people I made referenced to in my previous post. One of them said that it's wrong to regard all religions as being equal and in their opinion Christianity is still the only "right" religion for a person to have. The other person said that the pope is entitled to his opinion and they are entitled to theirs, so they're going to continue to proselytize because it's the right thing to do...

@Magna

Were either of those two people Roman Catholic?
Both of them are. If I'm being more accurate, the one who said Christianity is the only right religion actually believes that Roman Catholicism is the only right religion that has the "fullness of faith" but they do regard other Christian denominations as being a legitimate means of getting to Heaven. Both of them believe that about other Christian denominations.

Last edited:
Are you, at heart, a frustrated pollster?

Why do you ask people questions about their faith beliefs?

What use is it to you?

Are you, at heart, a frustrated pollster?

Why do you ask people questions about their faith beliefs?

What use is it to you?

Do you mean asking people about their faith beliefs in previous threads? If so, religion has been foundational influence in the way most of our species and its societies have developed both for better and for worse. It's a fascinating aspect of human behavior and one that other species of primates don't have. It's an area of interest for me.

I'm not sure what you mean by "frustrated pollster".

*Frustrated polllster*
A person who wishes his life work was
making surveys of people's opinions.

This seems to be a major way that you interact with people.

*Frustrated polllster*
A person who wishes his life work was
making surveys of people's opinions.

This seems to be a major way that you interact with people.

That's not my intention at all. I'm definitely interested in people's opinions about subjects that interest me but I don't have a wish that it be my life's work.

Yes, asking for people's opinions is one way that I interact with people.

Last edited:
By the definitions in this article, I would argue that many religious folk evangelize in order to proselytize. So they become one in the same, once again.

Next up: pope francis declares he doesn't believe non-believers are going to hell

(or: free cookies with every service! it's on the house)

I'm neither for nor against any religion, but it seems like the pope is always shifting the goalpost and trying to make being catholic trendy again. I guess it's truly a sign that religion has reached end-stage for a lot of people - probably because years prior, they would've been singled out by the church... or much worse, depending on the time period.

I admire the effort, but semi-rewriting the books in a last-ditch attempt to get attendance back up just smells like pure baloney. It reminds me of the church near my house that was hosting an event called 'hell house' during halloween. Which side are you even playing for at that point in time and how spineless do you have to be? lol

In this article: Pope Warns Jesus Christ Followers Not to Convert Nonbelievers: It's a "Pagan" Activity

Pope Francis warns Christians that "evangelizing" is different than "proselytizing" and that the act of "proselytizing" is pagan. "it is neither religious nor evangelical" according to the Pope.

>"The last thing I (Christians) should do is try to convince an unbeliever. Never"
>"If someone says he is a disciple of Jesus and comes to you with proselytism, he is not a disciple of Jesus."

^ I find the above interesting because it seems to me to be a departure from how many Christians are taught that "bringing people to the Faith" is a Christian duty and in part that duty requires talking about Christianity.

I think this way of thinking would also take the pressure off of many Christians who are expected to proselytize rather than live their own lives but I also think this would be extremely difficult for certain people who are narcissistic and also say that they're deeply religious. I know several such people and I'm all but certain they will strongly disagree with Pope Francis on this because "their way" is right and anyone else's way is "wrong" and they miss no opportunities to point that out to others...

I'm kind of liking this guy more than I used to and I agree with this completely. I would sum up what he said in my opinion as: Do your own thing, live your own life and let others live theirs. If others are interested in how you're living your life in relation to what you believe and they ask you about it, only then should you share your beliefs. My word...isn't that how it should be?!
For a lot of followers of Yeshua, francis is just another follower, nothing else, for us we only take council from Yeshua, he's got a nerve telling other denominations what to do, thankfully England got rid of Popery 520 years ago

If I was a Catholic, I'd be wondering why Cardinal Ratzinger is no longer Pope.
"The former Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger had never wanted to be pope, planning at age 78 to spend his final years writing in the “peace and quiet” of his native Bavaria."

"Being elected pope, he once said, felt like a 'guillotine' had come down on him."

H

He has a point it gets exhausting, sometimes you should reach out to others but converting no. That is God's will.
So we can get only do our best to try sometimes to at times spread the gospel if we get an opportunity.
However ongoing it is very exhausting, it is hard to convert or change someone only God can do that.

I have a preaching theory - show people your way works better for people. If you can't do that, you've got nothing to preach about.

I have a preaching theory - show people your way works better for people. If you can't do that, you've got nothing to preach about.
I agree with this 100%.

In my experience however, unfortunately those that preach religion for others strongly seem to be absolutely convinced and therefore deeply believe that their "way" undeniably works better for people no matter what anyone else says about what works for themselves.

I agree with this 100%.

In my experience however, unfortunately those that preach religion for others strongly seem to be absolutely convinced and therefore deeply believe that their "way" undeniably works better for people no matter what anyone else says about what works for themselves.
Yes - seems like there is a disconnect between "theory" and "practice."

Even in religion, I think that when a theory is applied the result needs to be noted. If the result does not support the theory, then either the theory is wrong, or the application is faulty.

Religion seems to want to go full speed ahead, without admitting that something isn't working right. The flaw can be blamed on the devil, I suppose - if the devil is a metaphor for reality.

New Threads

Top Bottom