• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Poll: Preference of Identity terms

What terms do you prefer?

• Autistic

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Someone with Autism or ASD

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Someone on the Spectrum

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Aspie or Someone with AS

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Neurodivergent or Neurodiverse

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Other (Specify below)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • None or I don't prefer labelling myself

Votes: 9 20.9%

• Total voters
I only use such terms among (perceived) friendlies.
From a previous thread, I like using "neurd" or "neur-D" as abbreviations of neuro-diverse because it encompasses both sides of being 2e.
I use many synonyms for ASD1, including Aspie.

I checked the boxes for_

Autistic

Aspie or someone w/ AS

Those are what I identify as, however, I don't have a need to be considered as such, by anyone else, necessarily.

I, too, am left handed. : )

Thank you to everyone who replied, very insightful! Always interested in how people think of themselves inwardly and outwardly. Unique souls all of you...

Special shout out to all fellow lefties ...rock on!

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone who replied, very insightful! Always interested in how people think of themselves inwardly and outwardly. Unique souls all of you...

Special shout out to all fellow lefties ...rock on!
it's made me think subtopic do you think people with autistic neurology are generally more towards ambidextrous more than being just right or left

Last edited:
it's made me think subtopic do you think people with autistic neurology are generally more towards ambidextrous done being just right or left
I am ambidextrous! I always thought it was because my mother is left handed so I had to learn to please her. But maybe it is just because I am autistic?

I am ambidextrous! I always thought it was because my mother is left handed so I had to learn to please her. But maybe it is just because I am autistic?
from what I know being ambidextrous is something to do with the left side of the brain I know my maternal grandfather was ambidextrous and I think a lot of my family are neurodiverse so I think it's something to do with being in the neurodiverse community but I don't know a lot about the other groups in the neurodiverse community to know how much it affects them I know a couple of people with bipolar disorder don't know anybody with downs syndrome and don't really know anybody with schizophrenia or autism like disorders

I've noticed that an unusual number of forum members are ambidextrous, so, perhaps, it could, indeed, be 'because you are autistic'. : )

It`s a curse, smearing everything you write as you write it. And spiral notebooks, can openers, scissors, door handles on the wrong side, cup holders on the wrong side, everything is on the wrong side. :)
Funny. Yep! :)

edit- Forgive me for laughing. Just funny how you put it. For me, personally, can-openers are the most problematic. Fortunately, it is only on the rare occasion that I might have a use for one, though.

Last edited:
My refrigerator has annoyed me for some time now. When I`m standing infront of the kitchen counter, it`s on my right side. And there`s no room for it to the left, I can`t move it. But that`s just the hell we southpaws live in. :) I`m used to all this of course, but sometimes it`s hard to be a lefty in a righty world.
If the door opens away from you, though, does it still annoy you? Or, is it just easier for you to grab everything with your left hand, and therefore, you have to twist your body, to grab items?

Once I took a class in hand calligraphy and was the only left handed person in there.

I found out quickly that the fonts in our assignments were made by & for those who are right handed.

The only way to not ruin the letters as my pen or brush made them was to do them upside down and mostly in reverse! :confused:

To those who would suggest that we use our left hands more regularly [left-handed/ambidextrous] than NTs do, are you proposing that autistics tend to be more sinister...? :p

Last edited:
Most voted for 'none' or 'autistic'. That was my estimation as well.

We don't need to constantly re-evaluate language.

We don't need to constantly re-evaluate language.
That is what the DSMs [Diagnostic & Statistical Manuals] seem to be doing...
full

I have my preferences but I'm not too concerned about what terms someone may use as long as they're respectful (or they otherwise had good intent).

What I've noticed about the spectrum, whether it be left-handedness, gender identities, or anything else, is that we collectively seem to be divergent in many ways, quite often finding ourselves on the "tail" sides of various bell curves.

I heard recently a podcast where they were reflecting on neurodivergent and neurodiverse.

A person is neurodivergent but a group of people with different views of the world etc are neurodiverse
(Please pardon the pedantry)

On the topic of left-handedness: DaVinci wrote mirrored writing so he could drag his hand from right to left instead. It would be a nice thing to normalize.

Do right-handed speakers of Arabic and Hebrew also smudge their hands?

On the topic of left-handedness: DaVinci wrote mirrored writing so he could drag his hand from right to left instead. It would be a nice thing to normalize.

Do right-handed speakers of Arabic and Hebrew also smudge their hands?
for Hebrew it probably depends on what you're writing scribes who are writing a new Torah hold their hand up away from the page where as in modern Hebrew they probably put their hand against the page

New Threads

Top Bottom