• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Poll: Do you laugh inappropriately

Do you laugh at inappropriate times

• I laugh when i'm in pain and when i'm uncomfortable.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I laugh when i'm in pain.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • I laugh when i'm uncomfortable

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I don't laugh inappropriately

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Other (Post your response)

Votes: 12 35.3%

• Total voters
I sometimes laugh when uncomfortable. I have too much chronic pain to be laughing all the time though :p

I think it's appropriate and common to laugh during certain discomforts, such as nervous laughter.

Last time I laughed inappropriately was when my girlfriend's best friend said she was pregnant and having twins. I laughed a lot and said "unlucky."

A mix of poorly timed laughter and never wanting kids myself.

Ed

Sometimes when I get hurt I'll laugh if the "pain" just sort of feels weird. I actually confused my friends in elementary school by doing that, since I sprained my ankle and the "pain" was just this weird numb-pressure, so it made me laugh for some reason.

There's a huge chance at any given moment that random nonsense will pop up in my head that makes me laugh so hard I can't get up.

Nervous laughter (as distinct from the real thing, which if you haven't experienced it, then God help you) is fairly common at awkward or uncomfortable social situations.

That said I tend to suppress smiles when I'm talking about something bad but stupid happening to someone, like the guy I saw who tried to beat the express at the grade crossing. He was driving a Ford pulling a big trailer. The train won. To this day I can't tell that story without laughing, probably because the guy wasn't hurt. (The locomotive knocked about a $1500 bumper off the front of his truck & set it down some distance away as if it was attached to an invisible truck & had just driven over there.)

I laugh when I'm nervous sometimes, especially in situations where I know I mustn't laugh... it's like the thought of laughing and the act of trying to supress it actually provokes it, a bit like supressing a cough.

I also sometimes laugh when I'm actually angry. My dad had this trait, too.

Edit: I also laugh at things others consider childish or inappropiate... such as toilet humour.

Last edited:
There was one time, many years ago, where I was walking across the room, nothing special. Well, the VERY CLUTTERED room.

You know what a ring binder is? Well, there's one of those in the middle of the floor, right. It's open. The rings are also open. I'm walking across, and trip on something. Now, my balance is *really* good, and even if I trip, I typically wont fall.... but I will effectively end up slamming my foot down real hard to catch myself. My legs are very strong, so when I do this, it's a really HARD stomp. Like "knock stuff off of the walls" sort of hard.

I dont like shoes or socks, so as usual I wasnt wearing either.

Not so much all of my weight, but all of the strength in my leg went towards slamming my foot down.... directly on to one of those open binder rings. This had about the result you'd expect.

Since the sequence of events was just so darned STUPID, I thought it was absolutely hilarious.

It was still funny even 2 days later walking with a bad limp.

Dunno how I didnt need stitches after the fact, come to think of it.

I laugh at things that others don't find amusing, i recall going to a local dance company, all the time others were amused i was thinking WHY. Then the company all dressed in white paper suits (almost CSI style) and did dance moved that linked me to a routine done by a pop group in the eighties, both myself and daughter (also N/D) laughed so loud that all others in the audience turned to glare at us!!!!!

I laugh inappropriately when uncomfortable, but wouldn't say it's nervous laughter. I laugh when people are angry and raging because the extreme emotion they display looks humorous. I start laughing after I had my own rare rage-out too, simply because I found my own behaviour funny too.

Most of the time it doesn't bother people and kind of dissolves the situation and people calm down quicker, so it's not a negative. :)

I laugh at scary scenes in horror movies.
I laugh at a lot of pain over something minor. Like after I broke my little toe, when I placed my foot a way that caused a lightning bolt of pain 'ow ouch ha ha ow ha ha'. And more recently when I pulled a calf muscle, pretty much the same thing.

Usually when I'm in a situation where I'm socially uncomfortable.
Someone may say something that wasn't meant to be funny, but, if I found it to be a little bit,
I laugh suddenly and too loudly.

I love horror movies and most of the time my house partner watches them with me.
Suddenly there is a loud noise in the show or something scary happens and he'll jump in his seat
and I laugh. Mainly at him.
He says the sight or sudden sound makes him jump and he can't help it.
He wonders how I can sit through a horror movie and not flinch.

I like *toilet* humour too! :p

According to psychologists, most things that seem "crazy", even when done by NTs, are perfectly healthy and normal ways to cope with stress, including talking to yourself, humming or singing when you recall an embarrassing incident, and laughing when uncomfortable. It's because of society's narrow mindedness that people believe doing any of those things makes you a psychopath.

I just now destroyed a brand new shirt my brother in law gave me right after putting it on and feeling the tag went to rip it out and took half the collar with it. Laughing at inferior crapmanship. (No that wasn't a misspelled word.)
I can't really relate to nervous laughter. I also amuse myself more often than others but that's okay too.

Last edited:
I had to stop myself from laughing during my grandma's funeral, in a very acoustic church. And I wasn't even grieving, I just can't seem to have a normal emotional reaction to tragic events.

I have an inappropriate laugh, which is how i interpreted this question. It sounds more like a banshee screeching. sometimes its guttural. I hate laughing because people always remark on it or hate it because its too loud.

New Threads

Top Bottom