• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pokemon Go... any thoughts?

ChurchTheArtist

The love child of Bob Ross and Batman
I'm surprised no one has put this out there yet. I'm not exactly solid on this idea but I do find it hilarious that it has become an instant global phenomenon to the scale where people are considering new legislation to handle it. It took less than 24 hours to break the order of an already fragile society.

My brother was telling me a story told to him by his friend. His friend James works at a legitimate corporate factory and now the foreman has officially called a meeting to discuss Pokemon Go. Apparently, people are rushing to complete their jobs early so they can spend hours of paid time walking around their plant/factory looking for Pokemon...

I for one was a little disappointed at the app's function. There isn't any real battle feature like the games had. I was looking forward to battling friends and rivals again and training Pokemon like it was 1996 all over again. I was disappointed that it is more like the Safari Zone than anything else. I don't know if I can see myself getting behind this new thing...

Any thoughts? Other than "aren't you a little old for Pokemon?" because that's been done to death since I was in grade school.

Yeah, that's probably what they were doing. Ah, you sound like the paragon of the grumpy old man. :D
I totally get that though. People who aren't responsible with their pets are annoying. It's ironic they would be obsessing over the #1 pet based game then.

Meh. It's all over Facebook. I don't personally get the appeal, but whatever pops your corn. If I'm going to be walking around following my phone, I'd rather be geocaching or letterboxing, and finding something concrete. :)

I'm a little obsessed, Pokemon was one of my early obsession and this just reignited it. I will admit it is totally different then any other Pokemon game, which I like I got bored of the same Pokemon game every time with different Pokemon. The quick game play also helps I no longer have time to play for hours everyday like I used to, I can pop on catch a couple Pokemon and pop back to reality. I would like to see more features (better and more battles) but it's still early on in the apps life so I think we will see them.

It's ok... Good for travels, not much else... And if you can't use your phone while traveling... Well... You're screwed... I have the app by the way

Meh. It's all over Facebook. I don't personally get the appeal, but whatever pops your corn. If I'm going to be walking around following my phone, I'd rather be geocaching or letterboxing, and finding something concrete. :)

Interesting point you make because what I've learned by talking to my brother who plays it, the people who made this game actually populated the geo data because they made the earlier geocaching apps. So for people who would check into places using the GPS features on their phones, they created all the points of interest that are now used to populate this game.

My brother says that points of interest are like historic landmarks and special places. You visit the landmarks and they have all the articles related to that landmark in the app. So that "solid" you are talking about is still there but ironically it is in the pokemon game because geocachers have been doing all the legwork to create the backbone of the pokemon game for free.

It's really scary to me how they are finding ways to trick people to do work for them. I wonder what kind of data they are collecting from this app.

I would also like to point out to any Pokemon Go users to be careful. My friend who plays it posted a PSA about how he saw an active Lure outside his apartment. He ran out and found the location was shady in the night. He was lucky but realized in retrospect that it is easy to lure people into real dangerous traps using this app.

For those who don't know, a Lure is an in-app item that can be laid down on a geographical location to draw in more pokemon and anyone can benefit from it. What this means is that if a user is on (and they are always on) and they see a lure pop up on their map, they will run to it because it means more pokemon. It's a super easy trap. And someone may say "that's stupid" but chances are, they've already swerved a little bit because they were trying to catch pokemon while driving.

My father texted us knowing it was a point of conversation today. He told us that police in Missouri have already had a case where robbers used Pokemon lures to lure people into traps. Not sure if that's real but I know my friend has pointed this out. Please be careful if you play this game. GPS location based games can be very dangerous.

I really enjoy the game a lot :)
Its fun to walk around and once in a while catch a Pokemon.
I walk a lot, so I don't mind some walks having my phone in my hand. I just keep the app open until my phone vibrates. I'm not going to look on it at all times.

Is it free on Android? I'm also not a 12 year old Nintendo fanboy so I'm kind of too old for Pokemon really, I did enjoy some of the older games though, including Pokemon Red on the Gameboy. and one of the first Pokemon games on the DS, Ruby I think.

I have this it's fun, I always liked Pokemon and since I do a lot of walking it makes it more entertaining I caught a bulbasaur in my my front yard :)

It surprises me that *some* people who play the game seem to become unaware that there are such things as real-life object that they could trip over / fall into etc etc.... I'm amazed at that.. Kinda funny too. Other than hearing about thse stories of people having accidents while playing the game, I don't know anything about it. I know what Pokemons are. But haven't played the game. It's not the type of game that would usually interest me anyway. I'm more into strategy games. And ones that don't need me to remember what each of a million buttons do.... :rolleyes:

It surprises me that *some* people who play the game seem to become unaware that there are such things as real-life object that they could trip over / fall into etc etc.... I'm amazed at that.. Kinda funny too. Other than hearing about thse stories of people having accidents while playing the game, I don't know anything about it. I know what Pokemons are. But haven't played the game. It's not the type of game that would usually interest me anyway. I'm more into strategy games. And ones that don't need me to remember what each of a million buttons do.... :rolleyes:
You just walk with your phone without looking on it untill it vibrates, find a safe spot to stand still (not in the middle of the road, which I have seen some people do indeed). And than catch your cute monsters.

You just walk with your phone without looking on it untill it vibrates, find a safe spot to stand still (not in the middle of the road, which I have seen some people do indeed). And than catch your cute monsters.
Ok, fair play to you. The people I've heard about having accidents while playing the game must be.... ahem! - mentally challenged.. It does sound an interesting and kinda cool game though :)

This is why stupid people who don't have a life beyond their phone shouldn't play games on their phones IMO, they get so involved in the games, real life falls by the wayside and they get knocked down and stuff.

Is it free on Android? I'm also not a 12 year old Nintendo fanboy so I'm kind of too old for Pokemon really, I did enjoy some of the older games though, including Pokemon Red on the Gameboy. and one of the first Pokemon games on the DS, Ruby I think.
Yes it is free on both iOS and Android, but currently only available properly in U.S., NZ, AUS for the next few days.
It's free to completely play and unlock everything (no Ads either!)

You don't need to spend a dime to get anything, though you can if you want.

You're not to old to play anything, there is also no need to dig at people who are playing it.
Just because it is colorful and cel shade doesn't make it aimed at children...

I don't have any issue with you, but people who constantly spout the whole kiddie narrative on colorful designed games and software.

Though I for one love this app/game.

I have literally walked at least 2.5 miles each day since the U.S. launch to catch Pokemon!
I'm a big Pokemon fan and haven't changed over the years (now 31).

Today I caught a CP 300 Pidgeotto at my local store (was there to run an errand).
I've caught 37 of the 151 Gen I Pokemon.

Anyways I hope they update the app soon with trading and battling with friends and add Gen II Pokemon.

FYI this game will have connectivity with Pokemon Gen VII this November when Sun and Moon launch.

I'm surprised no one has put this out there yet. I'm not exactly solid on this idea but I do find it hilarious that it has become an instant global phenomenon to the scale where people are considering new legislation to handle it. It took less than 24 hours to break the order of an already fragile society.

My brother was telling me a story told to him by his friend. His friend James works at a legitimate corporate factory and now the foreman has officially called a meeting to discuss Pokemon Go. Apparently, people are rushing to complete their jobs early so they can spend hours of paid time walking around their plant/factory looking for Pokemon...

I for one was a little disappointed at the app's function. There isn't any real battle feature like the games had. I was looking forward to battling friends and rivals again and training Pokemon like it was 1996 all over again. I was disappointed that it is more like the Safari Zone than anything else. I don't know if I can see myself getting behind this new thing...

Any thoughts? Other than "aren't you a little old for Pokemon?" because that's been done to death since I was in grade school.

It's safari world!! Lololol

I hope we don't have to wait too long for new content updates.
Niantic and Nintendo's Miyamoto released an interview about content updates.
Trading and battling are high on the list a is Gen II Pokemon...

I need my Gen II starters, Togepi, Bellossom, Blissey (highest HP in Pokemon out of all the Gens) and other Gen II

FYI if you get a Chansey, she has the highest HP in Gen I by far and her evolution Blissey has the highest HP in the whole series.

Not yet released in HK, but I'm going to sit and watch first.
Not a big fan of Pokemon but interested in this game, well I hope we won't have more car accident due to this game, seriously.

I have played this every day since launch in the U.S.

Today I went to the store to buy some work boots (I wear them instead of shoes) and caught a CP 290 Eevee.
I might go to the park later, if I feel up to it.

New Threads

Top Bottom