• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Please check out my YouTube video about life with Aspergers!

I can’t even describe the level of disgust and outrage I feel at the way you were treated not only by your classmates but by your teachers as well. Parents are expected to send their children to school despite that kids are not guaranteed safety there. Not even close. When you’re different, schools are basically torture chambers full of poisonous, merciless snakes. I am so glad you’ve finally found a little peace and harmony in your life.

Your video is awesome. Truly. I hardly ever use the word “awesome,” but it’s more than appropriate here. You’re an astonishingly intelligent young woman, and I hope you continue creating videos. It’s the best one I’ve ever seen from an autistic person. It’s so raw and honest. Well done!
Thank you so much! I just really wanted to get out there that this cannot carry on in schools because it effects us so much, not only at school but at home too. I hope this video with help other people and inspire people to finally make a change.

That’s okay I completely understand! I’m very calm in the video but there are sensitive subjects.
Im so sensitized i can barely look at your avatar !and im nearly hyperventilating ,if thered been continuing cbt ,i would be slightly better but 6 mandatory sessions seems like a dream ago

Im so sensitized i can barely look at your avatar !and im nearly hyperventilating ,if thered been continuing cbt ,i would be slightly better but 6 mandatory sessions seems like a dream ago
Oh I’m sorry!, I can always talk about the video if that makes you feel better

="Autistamatic, post: 658476, member: 20706"]There's far more awareness than in our youth Sarah,

" Thank god for that utliest ,over here our time of youth people like me were put in special aid classes and shuned by everyone and regarded as retards/ idiots etc.... (me included was talked to put in one of those classes but the school disagreed = school time complete disaster bullied and loads of problems since 1 grade 2 term according to my mom (and prior to that pre kindergarten ) "

but we've still a long way to go to achieve acceptance and parity with the non-autistic population.

" Over here utlist its been accepted BUT we do have our own problems over here as well in how they treat those more severe then my self & cant live on there own tho "

In some ways the greater awareness of autism now creates it's own problems for the young people of today. When I was diagnosed at 13 years old barely anybody had heard of autism and Asperger's wasn't a recognised diagnosis, so I was treated as naughty/disruptive because they knew no better.

"Same here with my ADHD diagnose (the pre precursor to ADHD was MBD = minimal brain damage and in the 100 + co morbid diagnosis to this diagnose were also all current co morbid diagnosis to the current ADHD (incl ASD with its co morbid diagnosis ) It got re diagnosed to ADHD at the end of the 70 `s "

Now there's a whole bunch of (often inaccurate) preconceptions about autism which put people like Maddie in the same position as we were because they don't fit the mould they expect.

" Yeah i remember i was told many times that i sadly fell between the chairs as well back then (still dont fit the mould 100 % in all my diagnosis "

Net result - same treatment.

" Yeah well utliest they get treatment nowadays we dident or got to little or wrong aid as they dident know anything about either of this diagnosis "

The more people like Maddie, myself, Siena that I mentioned above and the thousands of other advocates around the world keep doing our best to communicate the truth, the closer we will get to being recognised for what we are, rather than compartmentalised as societal burdens and treated unfairly.

" I so agree 101 % on that one ,as i have always said trying to mask and play a role that were not is not going to help .We MUST dare to stand up and dont be ashamed or afraid to inform those around us that we do have this or that diagnose. Because then others not having this might actually understand and accept that we have different ways of understanding things and coping in general "

Things HAVE got better in some respects, but we still have a long, long way to go.

" True that and from what i see in the younger generation with this diagnosis were most defently on the right way "

Last edited:
="Autistamatic, post: 658476, member: 20706"]There's far more awareness than in our youth Sarah,

" Thank god for that utliest ,over here our time of youth people like me were put in special aid classes and shuned by everyone and regarded as retards/ idiots etc.... (me included was talked to put in one of those classes but the school disagreed = school time complete disaster bullied and loads of problems since 1 grade 2 term according to my mom (and prior to that pre kindergarten ) "

but we've still a long way to go to achieve acceptance and parity with the non-autistic population.

" Over here utlist its been accepted BUT we do have our own problems over here as well in how they treat those more severe then my self & cant live on there own tho "

In some ways the greater awareness of autism now creates it's own problems for the young people of today. When I was diagnosed at 13 years old barely anybody had heard of autism and Asperger's wasn't a recognised diagnosis, so I was treated as naughty/disruptive because they knew no better.

same here with my ADHD diagnose (the pre precursor to ADHD was MBD = minimal brain damage and in the 100 + co morbid diagnosis to this diagnose were also all current co morbid diagnosis to the current ADHD (incl ASD with its co morbid diagnosis ) It got re diagnosed to ADHD at the end of the 70 `s

Now there's a whole bunch of (often inaccurate) preconceptions about autism which put people like Maddie in the same position as we were because they don't fit the mould they expect.

" Yeah i remember i was told many times that i sadly fell between the chairs as well back then (still dont fit the mould 100 % in all my diagnosis "

Net result - same treatment.

" Yeah well utliest they get treatment nowadays we dident or got to little or wrong aid as they dident know anything about either of this diagnosis "

The more people like Maddie, myself, Siena that I mentioned above and the thousands of other advocates around the world keep doing our best to communicate the truth, the closer we will get to being recognised for what we are, rather than compartmentalised as societal burdens and treated unfairly.

" I so agree 101 % on that one ,as i have always said trying to mask and play a role that were not is not going to help .We MUST dare to stand up and dont be ashamed or afraid to inform those around us that we do have this or that diagnose. Because then others not having this might actually understand and accept that we have different ways of understanding things and coping in general "

Things HAVE got better in some respects, but we still have a long, long way to go.

" True that and from what i see in the younger generation with this diagnosis were most defently on the right way "
Yes I totally agree, we have still got a long way to go, we shouldn’t have to constantly mask and act a way we’re not because that ends up making us feel uncomfortable. It shouldn’t be that way so others find it easier when things for us are extremely hard!! If we keep reaching out to the world and telling our stories maybe then things will finally change and we will be fully accepted.

as youre English this will be a learning experience, I think I’m perimenopausal and that’s why I’m having panic attacks, it doesn’t make sense to me !but !and here is the but went to see the Doctor, Who was so patronising she patted me on the head and said it’s probably that indicating to my head so I was never tested I have no idea,If you tried to be assertive you are viewed as a troublemaker I’m telling you now never commit suicide with tablets ,if you don’t die, you’re treated like a criminal by doctors,And you have to fight to just live the way you want to I had to for at least a few months go to the doctors surgery every week to get a prescription four years on and I’m still getting 14 tablets per prescription, I can imagine the reaction I would get if I wanted to try and get 56.I know someone who said they had to go daily ,imagine having to go to the doctor surgery daily, to get one tablet!.

as youre English this will be a learning experience, I think I’m perimenopausal and that’s why I’m having panic attacks, it doesn’t make sense to me !but !and here is the but went to see the Doctor, Who was so patronising she patted me on the head and said it’s probably that indicating to my head so I was never tested I have no idea,If you tried to be assertive you are viewed as a troublemaker I’m telling you now never commit suicide with tablets ,if you don’t die, you’re treated like a criminal by doctors,And you have to fight to just live the way you want to I had to for at least a few months go to the doctors surgery every week to get a prescription four years on and I’m still getting 14 tablets per prescription, I can imagine the reaction I would get if I wanted to try and get 56.I know someone who said they had to go daily ,imagine having to go to the doctor surgery daily, to get one tablet!.

Needles to say suicde is NOT WILL NOT EVER /HAVE NOT EVER been the right way (and im currently upgraded to Severly sucidal among Severly anxiety and Depression disorder due to som BS going on in my life this past 4 years) & as we can see im STILL here Regardles the ****** odds i got from i was born

Also before i forget to clarify my stament of retards

in NO WAY SHAPE or FORM was that meant as something negative towards those with more severe problems or diagnosis then my self & i have NO problems in talking and befrainding those less fortunate then i am. (infact as my MBD came from lack of oxygen for WAY to long at birth ,i got stuck and they had to pull me out ) i was about one + minutes away from being one my self according to my calculations . what i meant was we got the same bad treatment from society as them

Last edited:
I agree with Kalinychta, your video is indeed awesome, even more so as it's your first. Your self awareness is impressive- more power to you. You are for sure not only a survivor but an achiever as well. The progress you've made in the face of almost insurmountable odds is just amazing. So hope you will feel proud of yourself- you have much to be proud of. I am so sorry you had to go through all the horrible stuff you suffered from your teachers (who should be fired!!!)- no one deserves to be treated like that. But you have transformed it into a learning experience which is totally admirable considering how painful it was for you. I have faith you will go far in life Maddie and wish you all the very best.

From my perspective, there are several ways to change Autism stereotypes, and to get society to treat those with this condition better, and not just one. As great as Maddiexo’s video is, sharing that truth is only part of the solution. As many with Autism will not or cannot create videos, or as they fear doing such could increase Autism stereotypes if things cannot be presented like Maddiexo’s in a very great way, the Autistic and other communities can contribute in other ways as well, by sharing one’s talent, whether unique or not, writing through forums like this, writing positive stories or books about the subject, from an Autism or loving caregiver’s perspective, retraining doctors and related service personnel to understand, accept, appreciate and respect Autism better, and not focusing on differences as being bad, and punishing better those who mistreat those with conditions, too, as we are deserving of protection and those others to be held accountable too.

In Maddiexo’s attempt, yes her video can help a lot, as she describes her feelings and difficulties well, and the harms against her too, and this could cause more people on the Spectrum to want to share in some way too. As well, again, other ways to reduce stereotypes is to show or express your other abilities, too, to offset media or other stereotypes that often focus just on either negativity or core signs and symptoms. But, my concern is all of these efforts mentioned often become buried, and I feel more members of the Autistic community needs to do a better job there, too, and focus their energies more into combatting stereotypes and showing strengths by being more proactive in these ways. There are members here who have done that, through video, sharing links, and sharing positive or helpful news stories, or talents about themselves or others, and often this is their hyperfocus, or extended or caring effort to help. This helps a lot. But, these become soon hidden often or as these threads dry up, or seem less appreciated here, or others here could be so focused on their own lives or issues, or unable to contribute more, and I understand that. But, how many here take the time to either look at those videos, reply, or spread those videos, links, or attempt to buy or read those other books from those who forth the courage, caring effort or who tried to really help? If able, that is how real positive change is made.

I as an Autistic parent have many times attempted to make a difference to help not only our sons, but everyone on the Spectrum, through being positive, supportive, and taking each of your situations very seriously and putting my efforts here with long posts, despite a busy and hectic life here, too, and on occasion sharing some self-help tips, or videos of our son’s talent, writing a truthful book about the medical community and how not only how they could being doing much more or better, but how everyone, including parents, school, government, media, insurance companies, celebrities, etc., could be more involved in a positive way too. Truthfully, I have felt disappointed in the lack of response in society to such efforts, including lack of interest in such by those with Autism. Truth is, until more outsiders or those with any condition want to help others with similar conditions to highlight their strengths, to support them for their efforts or to be their best, or to give more effort to fight against and combat those wrongs against them, you may be treated as less than equals or in a less positive light, as too many negative stories are pushed to the forefront instead. Life is unfair in that way, but it is often the survival of the fittest that is true, and the stories that sell best, to be true, or the marketers who win out. Let’s start spreading positive stories, and stories about how others in society can do better by sharing our pains and needs for those others to do better. You all here express through writing well, and can be very supportive, but at times I feel all the energies sometimes are being put to one or two things, for self preservation, but when some of those energies, if able, in many cases, could be diverted better to making a positive difference for all Autistics.

Yes, I hear lots in the Autistic society loving Temple Grandin and her efforts. In my mind, she is just one successful Autistic person, and she is great for all she has done for the Autistic community, but she does not reflect the views I have of what success means, to me, nor will I tell our children she has all the answers for those with Autism, as she is just one successful person with Autism, when I see many more just as successful as her, but just not known, or not as known. Perhaps in many cases, those with Autism do not want to be known, or to change any, so that is why any discomfort or lack of support they have for those others with Autism trying to be positive or be noticed. Or maybe their idea of success is just surviving or trying one’s best daily to be happy, or enjoying their interests, or something career related, but we need more on the Spectrum with different views, different talents, different strengths being seen besides the Temple Grandin’s, John Robison’s, Kodi Lee’s, and Kerry Magro’s, Susan Boyle,s, Tim Burton, etc. We need everyday ordinary person’s with Autism, including boys, girls, men and women, of all ages and race, showing their extraordinary positive and advocacy side, too, to, help change negative perceptions. Let’s not let the media and medical community and certain charities define who we are or should be. Let’s balance out the perceived negative, by showing the good, like in Maddiexo’s case, where she shows courage and strength, and others who equally have did the same on this forum.

Again, I have seen several here who because of ability or interest have attempted to make that difference for the lives of those with Autism, through sharing regular links, sharing helpful news stories, sharing their experiences, being supportive to other members, through videos, creating helpful websites, through great helpful tips or analysis, etc, but unfortunately, until more here will support those who have putting forth those great efforts to help not only themselves, but to help the others being seen in a better light, or to help cause more positive societal change, then there will be less progress and less erasing of those untruths about those with Autism. In other words, yes, media and society is mostly to blame, for their prejudices and lack of attempt to understand and highlight the positives, but with focus on the negative, but I feel Autistics also have empathy and also can be trying better to bring that out by helping other Autistics better in either joining the effort, spreading those messages that will help, coming up with their own unique way to help, instead of ignoring, not sharing, or showing some disinterest, through lack of response, support or effort shown, or other, to those people who try to help after sharing their books, tips, links, videos of personal experiences or talent , etc.

Last edited:
what a great emotional video, keep making them I am so impressed .
With my volunteer work I have learned coping strategy's and each one gets easier ,my best one was a week ago being filmed by a local newspaper .I have got so used to it now I was on level 10 happiness and 10 is rare for me.
A lot of what you said I can relate to and I hope you carry on making more and you gain many subscribers on youtube.
Thanks for sharing it

what a great emotional video, keep making them I am so impressed .
With my volunteer work I have learned coping strategy's and each one gets easier ,my best one was a week ago being filmed by a local newspaper .I have got so used to it now I was on level 10 happiness and 10 is rare for me.
A lot of what you said I can relate to and I hope you carry on making more and you gain many subscribers on youtube.
Thanks for sharing it
Thank you I’m glad you Found you could relate to some things and I definitely will :)

Hello I was talking about doing a YouTube video on what life is like as a teenage girl with Aspergers, well I’ve done it so please check it out and show some love as I’m really nervous! Thank you

The video won't play for me. YouTube says that its private.

New Threads

Top Bottom