• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Periodic Obsessions My Whole Life

Robby

I get these periodic obsessions my whole life randomly. If I am interested in something or a place or whatever I will know it every detail to the letter and just be totally consumed by it. Sometimes it is volcanoes (dont know why) sometimes tornadoes or hurricanes, and other times astronomy. I could hold conversations with experts on these topics. Also history. But I also have weirder interests. Like sometimes it will be figurines, collecting them, then I get bored with them, but then it picks up again. And I am kind of obsessed with vapor rub I use it and smell it all the time it calms me down for some reason. I also get really upset if something changes like when I was growing up as a kid the library was often my safe place I'd go there and get lost in the quiet and loved the surroundings but then they moved to an new building and it wasn't the same and I am still obsessing over why they had to move. Its dumb I know. But I can't help it. I also get obsessed with random things like air conditioners for some reason I love to hear them run and to feel them blow air. These come and go but these are a few of the things I am obsessed with. Lately I am obsessed with pine cleaners and using them to clean and smell the aromas they make after I clean. It's just always been something I've had. I'm not diagnosed yet as having asperger's or autism but I think I have asperger's.

Hello, and welcome! I too have obsessions which are really intense at first, then get "shelved" only to resurface some time later, perhaps with a slightly different context. Over time I have come to realize that they are usually related to the natural world, art, or history / archaeology. I have lots of collections: geology / fossils, old stoneware bottles, books, plant specimens, antique scientific instruments and drafting supplies, animal bones... One of my current obsessions is with mosses and lichens. I often make coffee because I like the smell--I don't usually drink it, but it enriches the compost so it isn't a complete waste...

I don't think your obsessions are "dumb" because they are about creating an environment in which you are comfortable and happy, whether it is the physical environment or the intellectual one!

Periodic obsessions? Definitely! Mine often revolve around something artistic - different crafts, art techniques and every time I have to learn all about it. Sometimes I get totally absorbed by trying out different time management systems and when I develop a new interest I acquire all the material I can on it. It absorbs my every moment until it fades and I get a new passion. If I get a notion for a new phone, or iron, or camera e.g. I will know more than most salespeople due to the hours of research put in. And I read manuals - I feel bereft if something comes without one. I'm always 'documenting' things and organising information into lists. I totally get the thoughts about new libraries, it has happened here a lot. They are no longer restful, 'bookish' places but full of computers, bright lights, noise (there seems to be no expectation to be quiet any more) and not many books.

Periodic obsessions? Definitely! Mine often revolve around something artistic - different crafts, art techniques and every time I have to learn all about it. Sometimes I get totally absorbed by trying out different time management systems and when I develop a new interest I acquire all the material I can on it. It absorbs my every moment until it fades and I get a new passion.

I have the exact same issue. I will suddenly get an interest in an art medium (happened recently with acrylic painting) and start collecting information and materials. I watched all the worthwhile videos on youtube I could find, made a new pinterest board in my free moments. Sketched painting ideas during conversations and went through a good two dozen canvases all in about a month.

Then the urge to paint like a maniac just went away and I started obsessing over learning a song or writing a story or something (writing is a whole different issues cause i get 'stuck' rereading one chapter over and over). I've still got piles of painting supplies and now I'm just waiting to get bitten by the "painting bug" again.

Before my diagnosis I feel guilty amassing these supplies, thinking I was a dedicated painter and then just 'giving up'. Now I think I'm more ready to accept that this is the natural cycle of my mind and I will, in all likelihood, cycle back to painting eventually. It's nice to not feel guilty about indulging my artistic whims and I hope you don't either! After all, it's so important to keep creating!

I often go on research binges regarding a certain topic. More recently I started a massive project in which I planned to watch all of the most important anime in chronological order, starting in 1919. I made my way up to the early 70s before running out of steam, but hope to continue at some point.

Other interests I have had: medieval sword fighting, the history of western classical music, the global history of comics, various musical genres, Darwinian evolution, role playing game systems, quantum physics. The list goes on. Unfortunately I don't have the best memory so I don't retain as much information as I would like. Still, I find my research rewarding, even if I don't do anything with it.

I do the same! The topics are usually the same, but the ebb and flow. Sometimes it's volcanoes, sometimes tornadoes, sometimes the british royal family, dates, or sometimes geologic events in earth history like the permian/triassic extinction or the dinosaur extinction, things like that. And I'll get more immediate fixations like buying/collecting figurines, collectibles, etc. This has happened as long as I can remember.

Hi!! i've not been diagnosed as having asperger's syndrome but my brother has it and i wonder if i have it too..i am totally obsessed with cooking and food ...indeed most of my conversations seem to focus on this!! I do love cooking, and trying out new recipes...lately i've been trying out vegan baking!! i bake a lot for work and they love my efforts!!

My thing is I like things to be familiar & regular, I like my comfort zone & things the way I put them. If things get out of sorts or disorganized or unclean or not in the order I put them in I get really upset or stressed.

New Threads

Top Bottom