• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

People in denial of autism.

Illkurok

King of Isolation
It's always been quite hard for me to explain my autism and all that it entails to people in a way that they can understand. The biggest hurdle I've encountered is people who claim to understand, yet they treat me as if it doesn't exist. They seem to think that I can go out in public without the fear of having to socialize and that I can operate just like a normal person.

I've had many people tell me that autism is just an excuse for others to be lazy or to just block out the world, which I've been accused of both as well. It's not that I don't want to be in the world and interact with it, it's just that I don't know how to fit in to a world that doesn't accommodate people with issues like I have.

A lot of family members that I haven't spoken to in years never once thought of how overloaded I could get by going to a particular location or interacting in an activity, despite my protests or suggestions. People that refuse to do those things, I cut off. I don't have the desire or the patience to have those kind of people in my life.

It's just very irritating that more people aren't open to understanding, if it doesn't interfere in their daily life, they don't care, even those that I still feel close to.

I used to try and convince myself that my issues didn't exist to fit in, but I never fit in trying to act normal just like I don't fit in acting my true self. These problems aren't just going to go away and that's one of the biggest things I wish people would realize. I'm trying so hard to keep it together every day.

It's funny but growing up my mom said l could skip family functions if l wanted too. I know l didn't always feel comfortable at such gatherings.

For me, I take a need to know approach to telling others about my autism. The average person ether can not or will not understand ASD. It is no wonder, ASD is not easy to understand. Even for some of us on the spectrum. It is human nature to deny what you do not understand. That is one of the biggest reasons people treat us the way that they do. They just do not understand that we process information differently than they do.

I think things will change over time, there's a better understanding than there used to be and gradually knowledge will seep through. Meanwhile it can be very frustrating and I am wary who I would identify myself to, because of the stigma this ignorance causes.

I don't tell people of my diagnosis unless there is a good reason why they should know. but what I find is that they rarely have any experience with autistic people and don't know what it means. Even if they do know an autistic person, that person might be totally different to me. I think that it is important, if you have to tell people of your diagnosis, to explain to them how it affects you personally.

I don't tell people about my diagnosis for that very reason. Because the comments that follow are:-
'but you don't look like you have aspergers' (as if we are all identical?)
'I don't believe autism is real, it's just a different personality trait'
'but you're not a genius?' (stereotype upon stereotype)

It used to really get on my nerves, but now I just ignore it as there's often no point trying to explain it to these people.

New Threads

Top Bottom