• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pens, Pen People, and Signature Objects

My signature object is...

• ...something I made.

• ...something I bought.

• ...something someone else bought for me.

• ...something someone else made for me.

• ...something I found.

• ...something else (please describe).

Results are only viewable after voting.

Aspergirl4hire

Mage, Sage, Revolutionary
I have some personal objects without which I cannot effectively function. When two of these, both fountain pens, were "lost" a year ago, I had to attempt to replace them. I found one of the same; the other is irreplaceable, but an upgrade from another product line may do.

The only thing that prevents me from really collecting pens, other than the cost, is that once a nib is worn to my hand, I can't stand to be without it. The replaced pen is my daily workhorse, a matte black Namiki that looks like an attack submarine. The lost one is a Waterman Phileas chased in gold with an ultramarine blue resin.

There are other objects that keep me "me" or that haunt me: my college signet ring, a leather neck pouch without insignia that held a pen with the grace of a necklace and the presence of a weapon holster. My library.

Are you a pen person? A collector of pens, or any scribing object or scribed object, such as scrimshaw or intaglio carving? What's your signature object, the item that says "you" to other people, the one that would appear with you if someone were to paint you or photograph you?

I don't like pens because they gum up on me too much, but I do have a mechanical pencil I am highly attached to. The lead progresses from a square side-click instead of an annoying wedge or from pushing the top, and the eraser has a solid cap on the top instead of some flimsy and tiny case. It's what I prefer to draw with. I had one that lasted ten years, then some idiot broke it when I had to step out of my room, so I've ordered a few to keep as a backup should I fail to not be paranoid and territorial in the future.

The thing that was really me was an old kanji pendant. And I really, really wish I could find another one like I used to have but the company discontinued it a long time ago. I found one that was sterling silver for $30, so I'm trying to get up the money to go get it. String it on a piece of leather with a bead or two and I'll have my companion back. It's been several years since mine broke, but I still feel a bit lost without it.

You may laugh but my signature object is my 32 oz cup. I drink water, tea, whatever from it all day long. I can't stand to be without it.

Hmm. I have a whole bunch of favorite objects. Maybe I should draw them. Some are art supplies. Some are things I've found: a very large quartz crystal that sits on my desk, also an agate scraper (probably anasazi) I found on a walk, my grandfather's 100 year old dip pen, an antique skeleton key, two skate keys from before I was born, a picture of my grandmother, a small totoro, a special pencil that I don't use I just save, a smooth cool piece of linen, a small loop of fine chain, and art supplies.

I had a fountain pen that I used at primary school, it was a Parker. It disappeared from my tray and I've never forgotten it. I had a Shaeffer pen which a boyf borrowed and didn't return. It didn't use disposable ink cartridges but had a built in one which had to be squeezed to suck ink up through the nib. It was a lovely shape and had a weight to it that made it enjoyable to hold and write with. Using fountain pens was something that I did durring school years but once I went to college and essays were done on computers, it's not something that I've continued with. Pens and pencils that are used for drawing have been an ongoing interest.

I had a love affair with gold and silver makers/pens during secondary school. Everything looked better if a gold or silver pen were used to enhance it.

The penicil I favoured durring secondary school was the Yikes brand, the lead somehow seemed softer and smoother to use that bog-standard school pencils and the body of the pencil created smoother whirls of shavings when sharpened which were a variety of bright colours which contrasted nicely with the reflective coloured outer.

upload_2015-6-7_16-3-12.jpeg

I think my signature object would have to be a steel rule though. I much prefer a steel rule to a plastic one. I enjoy the tactile element of handling them and the sounds they make when they are picked up and put down. They also have more weight to them that plastic rulers and it's easer to use them with a stanley knife as they have a nice flat edge to run the blade along. They come in 15cm versions which are really cute :) Steel rules make me feel happy as they are such a pleasure to use and I have a lot of enjoyable memories connected to them.

411KDPVKCYL._SX425_.jpg

Maybe I had a signature object when I was younger but nowadays I don't get as attached to objects. I think then it would have been my tree. Or my spear. :D

Still, I have a thing for pens, so I marked 'something someone else bought for me' because my aspie ex remembered a pen I mentioned some months before and sent it to me after we were in separate counties.

ETA: I suppose I should include the pen (not mine, Google images)!
p1000601.jpg

kaweco-liliput_fp_black.png

But for everyday use I prefer faber-castell pitt artist pens (fine tip), not fountain pens.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom