• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Parent of newly diagnosed teen -- Questions

Cajunbread

My son is almost 18 and was just diagnosed in May. We are having trouble knowing what is Aspergers and what is just teenager moodiness. He really doesn't like to leave the house (except to buy video games). He will be going off to college after this year and we are trying to prepare him for this transition. We are also trying to find funding for college. I have so many questions!

My son is almost 18 and was just diagnosed in May. We are having trouble knowing what is Aspergers and what is just teenager moodiness. He really doesn't like to leave the house (except to buy video games). He will be going off to college after this year and we are trying to prepare him for this transition. We are also trying to find funding for college. I have so many questions!

Welcome.

I feel your son. I am also a geek of sorts.

I believe your son may not want to do some other stuff, other than doing video games, and it can be addictive. College is a four-year marathon, not a series of sprints, so it's always good to prepare for the transition.

I hope your child has visited a few colleges to widen his choices, and gauge himself how he feels about the schools. Perhaps those of us in college can encourage so. I didn't. I'd only visited one college, that is, the one I go to presently. I am still living with my parents and I commute to my university classes. (Just to note, I live in Singapore, but things are different in America)

Funding could come from both student loans and merit scholarships, which can be listed in the education section of any good reference library. For a start, try Free Scholarship Searches

As an alternative, perhaps your child can try to attend a few years of community colleges, in vocational courses related to his areas of interests. Perhaps he could try animation? But hopefully he can be very, very proficient in developing animated characters. All the best!

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Oh those were the days, well congratulations on your son being diagnosed. As a parent, I would first find a guide to know what are the normal behaviors for a young man in his stage of development, then I would read up on AS to understand his behavior. He could be exhibiting a combination of both behaviors, which may be natural for him. It is scheduling and awareness of time and social interactions that many of us have trouble dealing with in our own lives. Plus, certain environments can over-stimulate our behavior and cause us to 'act out.'

From what I've observed of teenage boys of his age is usually they are extremely social and like to hang out like a 'pack' together. However, your son with AS may be demonstrating normal behavior and that just might be who he is.

Welcome aboard.

I'm guessing you're American? You might be able to get financial aid as well as scholarships to help fund college. I don't know if your son is intending to go to a 2-year or 4-year.

As for Asperger's vs teenage moodiness, well - what behaviours is he exhibiting? Not wanting to leave the house could be Aspie-ish - I get those moods too where I'm pretty reclusive. It's not uncommon for people on the spectrum to socially withdraw from time to time. It sounds like he enjoys video games at least, so is he thinking of studying something along those lines?

Like animation?

Hope he has the strength to work really, really hard to focus on computer games. I wish him all the best no matter what he does.

Well, there's quite a few areas of games design and technology, really. My boyfriend was looking through a few of the courses available in my area. Aside from animation, there's also AI design, programming, story content writing...I'm sure there's more, that's just off the top of my head. Depending on a person's strengths, abilities and interests, they can opt for a more program-heavy path or a more art/animation path.

I have two girls with aspergers 21 and 23 - the 23 was recently diagnosed . I have to say hormones in these two girls and teenage years was quite troublesome ..In any teenager without aspergers is difficult but with aspergers it is harder - i was lucky a friend of mine recomended getting my girls hormones balanced - i took them to a homeopath - now i wasnt a believer but it really helped - im sure though a Dr (GP)could also help - it maybe worth asking . The brunt of the problem is hormones at this age so maybe find something to help with that .

Cajunbread, it sounds like you and I are in a simuliar situation. My son is 17 and diagnosed about 3 years ago. I have asked therapist and doctors how can we tell what is normal teenage behavior or Aspergers......I have never been given a clear answer. It makes it really tough! I think my son has overcome some big hurdles and he knows that even if he is uncomfortable and has to step out of his comfort zone in order to really learn how to relate to people and be a part of society he must force himself to get out there. I am here for advice myself so I cannot offer much in that form, I just wish you the best of luck!

Welcome, Cajunbread! Please ask all the questions you have & we'll do our best to respond. Hope we can help!

New Threads

Top Bottom