• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pacing back and forth

I have paced a lot for my entire life. It's a form of stimming. I get very frustrated when I need to pace but don't have enough room. These days I pace back and forth pretty much the entire time I'm at work.

The way my room is now set up there isn't much room for me to pace, too. But, I make it work. Haha

I don't really do it as much anymore, but I used to find myself pacing a lot, especially when I was deep in thought, usually about one of my interests. My wife would sometimes comment on it, asking if something was wrong, when nothing was wrong at all, it's just what I did. I still find myself doing it to this day, although it's less frequent.

I have paced for as long as I can remember, usually in circles (always clockwise), but sometimes back and forth as well, when there isn't enough room for my circles.

Also, like Verum I often pace while brushing my teeth, when I am not staring at my computer screen while brushing my teeth! I feel awkward standing around in the bathroom brushing my teeth.

I often go into the kitchen to get food and end up pacing for 20 minutes before either actually getting the food I came for or wandering back to my computer for a while, I have no idea why, though the kitchen was a favourite spot to pace in general as a kid. Subconscious association between the behavior and the kitchen?

The way my room is now set up there isn't much room for me to pace, too. But, I make it work. Haha

When I was in treatment centers I always had a tiny room, and I usually had to share it with as many as three other girls. And I would get in trouble if I walked too close to somebody else's bed. It was awful.

Also, like Verum I often pace while brushing my teeth, when I am not staring at my computer screen while brushing my teeth! I feel awkward standing around in the bathroom brushing my teeth.

A-ha! I, too, sometimes hop over to the computer for a minute instead of pacing while brushing. :giggle2:

I feel the same way about just standing there in the bathroom... the other day I was stuck in there while brushing -- can't remember why -- and I couldn't help but sway back and forth (one of my stims) quite ferociously in frustration the whole time.

I think I'll have a pacing back and forth party for single Aspies...come on ya'll are invited! ;D

I hope your place is spacious. Cause besides the pacing we'll be avoiding each other like mad.

When I'm having a discussion that I'm getting into, I tend to do this, especially if it's a spleen-venting sort of issue. I don't know I'm doing it, but get going quite furiously. The higher my emotional state, the more vigorous my pacing. I can see how it could be disconcerting for whomever I'm taking with. Has ended a conversation or two.

Last edited:
Like others, I used to do this and have now mostly stopped. I only do it now if someone is late to arrive somewhere, whereas I did it before for, well, whatever reason.

I think space has something to do with it - I don't have much now so it's less useful...I guess?

I often pace a lot as well. :D
Usually when I'm deep in thought.
That's one thing that's never changed about me. :)
Gives me good exercise I suppose. :p

Yes,sometimes.
Helps me block out extraneous negative stimulus.
Lets me focus on something good.

Oh yeah, I'm a pacer. It drove my mother nuts when I was a kid. She'd always yell, "Stop that pacing. You look like a caged tiger."

You were labeled a caged tiger and I was labeled a judge...all for pacing. Go figure. :p

Hey everybody! I know it's been awhile but I found a disorder that explains it. It's called Maladaptive Daydreaming Disorder: Can Maladaptive Daydreaming Be Treated?

I can easily see how it's connected to my Aspergers, ADHD, and Dysthymia (depression) diagnosis. I couldn't believe that there is a known disorder for this!

There is worn paths in my carpet, from pacing miles back and forth. Reminds me of Scrooge McDuck's pacing room. Does anyone remmber this from DuckTails?
ImageUploadedByAspiesCentral.com1407444293.606494.jpg

I used to walk around a lot (sometimes I'd go to fast and bump into a wall and my parents would be alarmed), but then I injured my foot :( and for the last two years, pacing is painful and I do it much less. Sometimes I still can't resist.

Sometimes when I'm on the telephine i start to get excited and and am furiously goose-stepping around my flat deeply engrained in a convesation often knocking cups and ornaments over LoL

I swap from place to place rather than pacing, probably to pace with a purpose I guess. I'll sit for a few minutes then move to another spot, and then another.... you get the idea :p

I pace when I´m anxious or when I´m thinking about something important. I always pace when I´m thinking of something that I know it´s gonna take a while. It´s just easier.

New Threads

Top Bottom