• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pacing back and forth

J. Ann

Hi, everybody.

So, does pacing back and forth sound familiar to anyone? I have always paced back and forth (from one side of a room to the other side). Hand flapping/movements of my hands is also something I've always done. I know the hand movements are typical with Autism, but what about the pacing? Is their anything connected (or similar) to Autism that causes it?

Either way, I realize it's just the way I am. Having it my whole life, it must not be something "wrong" with me; it's just the way I am. Still, it would be interesting to find a disorder that's similar.

I too am a pacer (although I in no way resemble a small car made by the U.S. company AMC [would love to own one of these by the way])

I always just figured it was nervous energy or something like that, in much the same way that some people swing a leg while sitting or others tap their foot/ feet. Never really thought about it being a trait of something else, so I will also be interested to see what others have to say about pacing ; ]

I thought it was just exercise while you are thinking...but yet I have paced for both exercise and also to think things thru. I think I'll have a pacing back and forth party for single Aspies...come on ya'll are invited! ;D

I pace too. Either back and forth or in small circles -- first around one way a few times, then often around the other just to change things up a bit. Mostly I do it when I'm forced to stay in one place like if I'm waiting for something that's almost finished cooking to be ready or -- most commonly -- when I'm brushing my teeth. I can't stand to stay there in front of the sink with nothing to do but shake my fist in the general direction of my face while I stare at my own reflection... so... I wander around the whole darned house, LOL. My husband finds it so irritating, especially when I'm walking around in small circles in the living room, trying to talk to him around my toothbrush without getting toothpaste on my shirt. :spin:

During a very stressful time in my life I paced a lot. Like any obsession [?] it can increase during stress and lessen when you are calm. If it bothers you, maybe taking baby steps [no pun intended] like decreasing a few steps/minutes or rewarding yourself for pacing less might help.
Remember it's exercise & can be positive. Maybe you can try to insert good thoughts/think about a hobby or something peaceful while you pace. Maybe researching OCD or anxiety might help?

I remember going to a park & pacing...I thought I was going crazy. Maybe I did & I came back...:alien2:
Not sure why but my pacing pretty much disappeared when my very stressful period was over & I slept better.

Did you have to make yourself stop, or is it something that you naturally stopped doing?

Maybe researching OCD or anxiety might help?

OCD does seem a bit familiar. My mom is constantly telling me to stop stressing out about things (normally just school). However, I do not have the need to keep everything organized (if you saw how messy my room looks, you would agree lol). Is there something similar to OCD, or could someone still have the disorder with out the need for everything to be in order?

Last edited:
"Stimming" of any sort is often connected with Autism. "Stimming is a repetitive body movement that is hypothesized to stimulate one or more senses." (Wilkipedia.) The most well-known form of stimming is hand-flapping, but it is not the only form. I think pacing
P.S. I hate Wilkipedia. There's a story behind that. I just used it as a quote out of laziness. I've found inaccuracies and blatant untruths on Wilkipedia in regards to subjects that I knew about.

I pace whenever my energy levels get really high, such as when I'm watching an action movie or getting really into a drawing.

I've never really thought too much about it, since its something that I've done all my life, but my parents think that it means something.

I pace whenever my energy levels get really high, such as when I'm watching an action movie or getting really into a drawing.

I've never really thought too much about it, since its something that I've done all my life, but my parents think that it means something.

Same here! Whenever my thoughts are energetic, I pace. My parents are the opposite though. They don't think much of it. I've done it forever.

It might just be anxiety related to an event like school. I believe I have a disease of the nervous system. Which might explain why in the recent past I was so much into exercise & Nature to destress. Now that I am not exercising as much I can feel the anxiety rise especially related to some events. One thing that I read is when our brain & nervous system is stressed/tired we can make bad decisions. So I try to sleep on things if I get overwhelmed and have to make in important decision.

In the past I had OCD symptoms like the pacing. I too stress out about things & other people like my female friend & ex-wife tell me I shouldn't worry so much. Yes there are OCD people who are not as organized as other OCDers. My friend is every disorganized/messy and he has OCD + the same for others. There might be something related to OCD. Surviving anxiety is never fun & the most stressful periods of my life I've read and reread positive quotes to fight off negative thoughts.

Hope this gets better for you Ann.

OCD does seem a bit familiar. My mom is constantly telling me to stop stressing out about things (normally just school). However, I do not have the need to keep everything organized (if you saw how messy my room looks, you would agree lol). Is there something similar to OCD, or could someone still have the disorder with out the need for everything to be in order?

Last edited:
I have paced a lot for my entire life. It's a form of stimming. I get very frustrated when I need to pace but don't have enough room. These days I pace back and forth pretty much the entire time I'm at work.

Pacing and OCD...yes, that's me as well. When I'm stressed I do laps around my sofa. Maybe I should buy a checkered flag to mount nearby.

Right up there with repetitively checking the front door lock, auto burglar alarm, having to carry no less than four pennies of assorted change and everything in my apartment has to be either parallel or perpendicular to something. Except for a chair that sits at a precise angle. Although I have made strides in accepting minor objects that may be asymmetrical or randomly placed. It's not so bad...the least of my issues I suppose. Once in a while I can laugh at myself. :p

It might just be anxiety related to an event like school. I believe I have a disease of the nervous system. Which might explain why in the recent past I was so much into exercise & Nature to destress. Now that I am not exercising as much I can feel the anxiety rise especially related to some events. One thing that I read is when our brain & nervous system is stressed/tired we can make bad decisions. So I try to sleep on things if I get overwhelmed and have to make in important decision.

In the past I had OCD symptoms like the pacing. I too stress out about things & other people like my female friend & ex-wife tell me I shouldn't worry so much. Yes there are OCD people who are not as organized as other OCDers. My friend is every disorganized/messy and he has OCD + the same for others. There might be something related to OCD. Surviving anxiety is never fun & the most stressful periods of my life I've read and reread positive quotes to fight off negative thoughts.

Hope this gets better for you Ann.

Thanks. I hope things get better for you, too. In my case, I think a lot of it has to do with Aspergers. I remember watching a documentary that involved some kids/teens with Autism. One of the teenagers said, "With Autism, your obsessions turn into worries and your worries turn into obsessions". That's very true for me.

Thanks. I hope things get better for you, too. In my case, I think a lot of it has to do with Aspergers. I remember watching a documentary that involved some kids/teens with Autism. One of the teenagers said, "With Autism, your obsessions turn into worries and your worries turn into obsessions". That's very true for me.

For me it's like having worrying on steroids...and constantly considering the worse-case scenarios...which in most instances are highly unlikely. I've struggled with that all my life. I try to reassure myself things aren't as bad as they seem. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

My father once told me I reminded him of a funnies character in the newspaper, who always went around with a dark cloud over their head. Too bad neither of us knew why at the time...

For me it's like having worrying on steroids...and constantly considering the worse-case scenarios...which in most instances are highly unlikely. I've struggled with that all my life. I try to reassure myself things aren't as bad as they seem. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

My father once told me I reminded him of a funnies character in the newspaper, who always went around with a dark cloud over their head. Too bad neither of us knew why at the time...

That's how it is for me, too. I always see the dark side, when everything's okay. I just don't want to worry my life away. I don't want to spend all of my time wishing that time would go by faster, because I know it will.

My sister tends to pace back and forth when on the phone, and she's a NT. I pace rather frequently, because I don't really like to sit still. Movement helps me think. As for hand flapping, I've never done it.

New Threads

Top Bottom