• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Our inner guidance

Chance

"all who wander are not lost" - Tolkien
V.I.P Member
Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 10.28.53 AM.png

I woke up thinking really hard...(not something new)... and I'm still stuck on it...

Picture (if you can) this set point, our life goal, our reason for being- (what ever you wish to call it)... It has no form... I'm not trying to call it an angel, or God, or anything like that.

It is standing at some point, some place, some region, inside us and outside us, at the very same time... Maybe its our intuition??? Maybe its something else, like an ability to see and think in what nearly seems to be a different dimension, yet still in the one all around us.

I think on this a lot... So when I find myself off in the bushes, in turmoil, headed down that path towards depression, anxiety, or a shutdown - its like this small signal goes off in me that tells me "I'm going the wrong direction."

Its not words, its more like a mental compass, or a mental magnet that moves within me...

I used to never listen to it, but overtime I found it was always there to help me, not to harm me. I never know "where" it is, but know which way to mentally focus on it.

Soooo... I was abruptly woken up last night shortly after going to sleep. A slew of people were coming in making a mass of noise after going to a family event... I instantly heard lots of griping and swearing... Of course one of these people came and woke me up to pour me off into their nightmare...

This "set point" instantly engaged in me, telling me to disengage... I ended my part of that conversation in a very fast fashion, and did so even though this person was terribly upset with me for not caring...

I instantly felt relief. It was not for me, was not about me, or in anyway related to something I needed to be shoving my nose, my emotions, or my words into...

This person stormed off after calling me and A** hole... and I basically went back to sleep.

This morning they are still ranting over this situation... Its ridiculous. Its pointless. There isn't even and answer I would know to give. They are upset because someone isn't acting how they feel he needs to act... Basic NT demand, to fit "their" status quo.

So somewhere deep within me, I feel very grateful that I am not wasting my life spinning in that cesspool of useless thought and words.

It just sort of hit me... Is this a big part of what ASD is?
We are often overwhelmed by what people see as normal life...
We don't know how to focus on what others demand we focus on...
We often try to do this, and get more lost than we were to begin with...

I want to feel bad, but I simply don't. I have this house full of people who are as upset with me, as they are with this other guy (my cousin)... Why?

And to wonder why we mentally go off, and not want to interact with humanity.

However, I have to question my own actions... Am I being right in doing this?
Or am I making things worse?

I found an inner peace over it, but outwardly I'm not real comfortable with it, so I'm headed out for a while and they should all be gone home by the time I get back... Family... grrr, but I Gotta find some way to love them anyway.

Just asking for advice... and always feel free to throw situations in that could answer your questions also.

Last edited:
View attachment 39651

I woke up thinking really hard...(not something new)... and I'm still stuck on it...

Picture (if you can) this set point, our life goal, our reason for being- (what ever you wish to call it)... It has no form... I'm not trying to call it an angel, or God, or anything like that.

It is standing at some point, some place, some region, inside us and outside us, at the very same time... Maybe its our intuition??? Maybe its something else, like an ability to see and think in what nearly seems to be a different dimension, yet still in the one all around us.

I think on this a lot... So when I find myself off in the bushes, in turmoil, headed down that path towards depression, anxiety, or a shutdown - its like this small signal goes off in me that tells me "I'm going the wrong direction."

Its not words, its more like a mental compass, or a mental magnet that moves within me...

I used to never listen to it, but overtime I found it was always there to help me, not to harm me. I never know "where" it is, but know which way to mentally focus on it.

Soooo... I was abruptly woken up last night shortly after going to sleep. A slew of people were coming in making a mass of noise after going to a family event... I instantly heard lots of griping and swearing... Of course one of these people came and woke me up to pour me off into their nightmare...

This "set point" instantly engaged in me, telling me to disengage... I ended my part of that conversation in a very fast fashion, and did so even though this person was terribly upset with me for not caring...

I instantly felt relief. It was not for me, was not about me, or in anyway related to something I needed to be shoving my nose, my emotions, or my words into...

This person stormed off after calling me and A** hole... and I basically went back to sleep.

This morning they are still ranting over this situation... Its ridiculous. Its pointless. There isn't even and answer I would know to give. They are upset because someone isn't acting how they feel he needs to act... Basic NT demand, to fit "their" status quo.

So somewhere deep within me, I feel very grateful that I am not wasting my life spinning in that cesspool of useless thought and words.

It just sort of hit me... Is this a big part of what ASD is?
We are often overwhelmed by what people see as normal life...
We don't know how to focus on what others demand we focus on...
We often try to do this, and get more lost than we were to begin with...

I want to feel bad, but I simply don't. I have this house full of people who are as upset with me, as they are with this other guy (my cousin)... Why?

And to wonder why we mentally go off, and not want to interact with humanity.

I found an inner peace over it, but outwardly I'm not real comfortable with it, so I'm headed out for a while and they should all be gone home by the time I get back... Family... grrr, but I Gotta find some way to love them anyway.

Just asking for advice... and always feel free to throw situations in that could answer your questions also.
I think you had what was called an epiphany I did the same thing with a family member and it's a sort of relief when you just can't solve it you can't

For me, a big part of living with ASD is continually recalibrating that compass.
I ask for input from people I trust. I evaluate how I feel about things. And I teach myself that disengaging is in my best interests sometimes, even if it is perceived as rude.

For me, quickly (and peacefully) ending a conversation when you know it would only spiral out of control somewhere down the line is a preferable course of action. Not everyone agrees with me on this, but I feel proud whenever I've had the clarity of mind to see that a situation is only going to get worse, and I succeed in ending interaction before anything escalates.

This morning they are still ranting over this situation... Its ridiculous. Its pointless. There isn't even and answer I would know to give. They are upset because someone isn't acting how they feel he needs to act... Basic NT demand, to fit "their" status quo

Gotta love those arguments about stuff thats already happened!

Emotionally immature. Choosing to live in a world of invented drama. Whoever makes most noise wins.

Yes you're right. Any reactions other people have is their own problem.
Your job : Follow your truth
Their job : Deal with it.

I over think stuff so much that I start second guessing my third guess, to the 10th power... Basically I start feeling like I'm lying to myself, when most often I'm not at all...

Yet, when I am called a "stone cold a** hole" it makes me wonder why would some one call me that?
I start digging for what I did wrong and I simply cant find it, other than I opted out of their mess.
I was made to feel wrong in doing that, but also know I was about to be setup for canon fodder.

I get along with my cousin just fine, I would like to keep it that way. He is one of my few relatives I actually trust and in many ways we are a lot a like... I have no reason to go behind his back and discuss his personal life and people are upset with me for that???? I have no clue... I see it this way... If he wants to talk to me about it then he will (and it will just stay with us), if not thats fine too. It his life... Just like my life is my own, why do people demand we live by others expectations??? Geez...

Its just nice to find a way to sort of build a checks and balances... this site helps me a lot doing that.

They can just go soak someone else in this craziness...

Thank you all for guiding me through the fog in my head...

If someone woke me up in the middle of the night after some event, they would certainly learn never to do that again. You have every right to react strongly and definitively if someone invades your space or or sleep. You also don't have to engage yourself in someone else's drama, even if it is a family member. The problem is theirs and not yours.

I over think stuff so much that I start second guessing my third guess, to the 10th power... Basically I start feeling like I'm lying to myself, when most often I'm not at all...

Yet, when I am called a "stone cold a** hole" it makes me wonder why would some one call me that?
I start digging for what I did wrong and I simply cant find it, other than I opted out of their mess.
I was made to feel wrong in doing that, but also know I was about to be setup for canon fodder.

I get along with my cousin just fine, I would like to keep it that way. He is one of my few relatives I actually trust and in many ways we are a lot a like... I have no reason to go behind his back and discuss his personal life and people are upset with me for that???? I have no clue... I see it this way... If he wants to talk to me about it then he will (and it will just stay with us), if not thats fine too. It his life... Just like my life is my own, why do people demand we live by others expectations??? Geez...

Its just nice to find a way to sort of build a checks and balances... this site helps me a lot doing that.

They can just go soak someone else in this craziness...

Thank you all for guiding me through the fog in my head...
Add another one to the fog in the head tribe

My house is sort of like in the centre of a bunch of family stuff...
People just come and go as they please basically and I am usually ok with it...
Its my fault for not locking up before I go to sleep...
But then again they will just drive me crazy till I let them in... So its easier this way I guess.

If I keep getting on their bad side they will stop coming around again...
I get black listed really often, or at least until someone needs me to fix one of their messes...
So maybe I need to just get real bad...

What a joke... I'm not so good at that at all.

My house is sort of like in the centre of a bunch of family stuff...
People just come and go as they please basically and I am usually ok with it...
Its my fault for not locking up before I go to sleep...
But then again they will just drive me crazy till I let them in... So its easier this way I guess.

If I keep getting on their bad side they will stop coming around again...
I get black listed really often, or at least until someone needs me to fix one of their messes...
So maybe I need to just get real bad...

What a joke... I'm not so good at that at all.
It's very hard to think about cutting yourself off .

I like how you describe this stuff @Chance.

At certain situations .... I get warning signs that I'd better stop engaging &/or even listening to people. If I do not heed the signs I'll have a shutdown or worse.
Sometimes, still, for some reason I'll try just forcing myself through. Always this 'oh it's fine I'll just be strong' attitude simply does not work.
~~~
All dreams are our own selves of course. I had a dream the other night about; well, I don't know how to label it. I was in the presence of a sort of higher level teacher of philosophy or ? Anyway um, it had an aspect of what you talk about in the first paragraph in the thread.
The teacher was attempting to get me to choose "The Middle Path." Upon waking and thinking on that, I take it to mean I would benefit from not letting my black and white thinking control me. Rather than being strong (which I can't) I will be flexible, and care for and protect myself.

New Threads

Top Bottom