• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Online Dating

The Penguin

Chilly Willy The Penguin
There are people thought about or have done online dating. I'm going to share two different experiences I had in my life. Also, please take safety precaution should you consider online dating.

My first online relationship was in the early 2000's. I met her on a chat program. It started off talking for a few months. Later we started to gain interest with each other so we started a relationship. I'm in Canada and she in Sweden. The first visit was planned for me to see her during the summer. She helped pay half the cost of my plane ticket. My family, including my parents couldn't understand why I wanted a relationship like this, but they had no say on this because I live on my own.

Summer time approaches. My flight starts from Toronto to London. Because I had a 7 hour flight connection I was thinking of exploring London for a few hours. One word of advice, never exchange money at an airport. It's bloody expensive. I decided to stay at the airport instead. I got myself something to eat and then wander around the airport. Later on I learned my camera is missing. I just bought this digital camera a few weeks ago. When I arrived back to the food court, a man said your camera is at this restaurant. Very lucky to get my camera back. Anyhow, boarding the plane my next flight connection is Copenhagen. The flight connection was only for about an hour there. Finally, after a dam long day I arrive in Sweden. I was excited to see her.

Later that night she took me for a walk in a park. She asked me what I thought of her and I decided to kiss her. I did enjoy my time in Sweden and meeting her. This relationship lasted for 8 years. I visit her 4 times and she visits me once. It was sad this relationship came to an end, but I had no regrets dating her.

This next relationship was from a dating site. I can't remember which one it was. It was nice we related to each other in so many ways. She said she was visiting family in Africa, but going to return back to Canada soon. There was something odd about this person. We talked on yahoo message and there was a Tic Tac Toe game. She never played the game in her life. It seems odd as everyone I know born in Canada played the game before. Another odd thing she didn't know about the city Halifax. You suppose to know these things if you are Canadian. Later on she wanted money to buy a phone card. She said it very expensive to send text to me from her country. I decided to check out her cell phone provider rates and it was not as expensive as she claimed. Some other red flags happen too, which I can't remember. After doing some thinking, I realized I almost made myself a victim of the Niagara Scams. For those never heard of it, it's people in Niagara do dating scams to get money. There other type of scams they do too. I decided to end the relationship blocked her. A few weeks ago during that time, I watched a documentary on Niagara scams. I said to myself I wouldn't be that stupid to be a victim. Well, look what almost happen to me. I glad the common sense came into play. I had tried other online relationships after this, but was more careful this time.

So the question comes to some of you is why not date someone local? Honestly, I had before. I guess for me since I don't go out in public often, I find it more convenient to meet someone online. I don't recall the last time I had a relationship with someone. It's been longer than a few years ago. I'm not concerned right now as I have other things I need to work on my life right now.

I do know some people had success with online relationships and end up being married. These are people been together more than 10 years. I had no regrets for online dating. The person I dated in Sweden was the best relationship I had in my life. Much better than people I dated locally. It can be hard to know what will be the outcome of your relationship should you consider online dating. The most important things to think about the safety precaution. I've very lucky never happened to me when I visit my gf in Sweden. Would I ever consider an online relationship again? Yes. But like I said my focus right now is fixing life issues. Note online relationships are very hard and something you need to put into consideration. I wish you all the best should you consider online dating.

I have a really hard time with starting relationships, so I can see how online could be easier. I hate to put out the money for the decent sites, though, so I'm just plain not putting much effort into it right now. :p I think an online relationship would be easiest for me if I were connecting with someone who was close enough to see in person, once a connection was formed. I've done the long distance thing and it's far from easy.

I met my husband online, on icq, does anyone remember it? :D it feels like it was 100 years ago :) we met in 2002, got married the same year... long crazy story :)

I've had my share of experiences with online dating, but then again, they didn't remain online exclusive that much. I'm not interested in dating someone who lives so far away that seeing someone in person is a nigh impossible task. Suppose I'm a bit in between when it comes to seeing each other in that I might not be one that wants to hang out daily/weekly, yet I do want to hang out somewhat regularly... bi-weekly or so should be fine. Which perhaps changes the definition of "long distance" for me a bit.

And then there's the entire online dating thing which never went over well with me where you both spend so much time chatting and communicating it actually takes away from living a somewhat efficient life. Maybe it's supposed to be that way, and maybe because I don't like such things, one can wonder if online dating, long distance and such are actually for me.

In my life I've met many women online, mostly online, yet I always found that it was easier to contact them online rather than talk to them at clubs, since I do try to aim for the more local crowd. And I've found that online often meant that I could spend a bit of time getting to know these women rather than hanging out right away. Funny thing howver always was, that the ones that just took a gamble and threw caution in the wind where the ones I ended up with in a serious relationship. Perhaps that's the risk one should be willing to take. But then again; I'm well aware that to some I come across as someone who could proabbly fit well with the "dating site murderer"-meme Dating Site Murderer | Know Your Meme

I had a conversation about the topic of online dating the other day with a woman I got in touch with... yes, online, lol. I'm in my early 30's, she's in her early 20's and the difference between her dating experience (aside from age) and mine is that I actually experienced the dating game pre-internet. To her, everything is pretty much meeting up online and chatting to get to know one another, compared to just hanging out every once in a while, like I did with my very first girlfriend back in my teens. Back then I just ended up hanging out with a girl, ended up at her place and the more we hung out, closer we got up until a point where she gave in and put that question out there, to see if we should get a bit more involved with each other and be a couple.

Over the course of years, I've met many people online and some were quite interesting, and some eventually backed out. Perhaps they had their reasons to do so. Perhaps insecurities played part, perhaps some realized that distance was an issue and I'm quite sure over time some realized that I'm clearly not the person who they thought I was (which doesn't mean that I lied to them; but first impressions don't always hold up to it when you get to know someone). I suppose that's something that happens in all relationships, even the ones when you are dating. It's good some people recognize it and preferably back out before you're serious.

Online dating has been a relative success for me though; well.. relative, since I wouldn't be single if it was a real success, lol. I've spent the majority of my adult life in relationships, so I guess that says something about my ability to maintain a relationship somehow.

The craziest thing I ever had going on is something worth writing a book on, lol. That is some Tarantino-esque stuff right there. I've shared this story with a few folks on AC here in the past and I'm quite sure that it's beyond messed up to share out in the open, lol... just to make that clear. Though on the other hand, that's also what makes me life pretty interesting... I will however say that I will not search for these things myself. I'm not going to look for people to end up in weird situations with, they always seem to find me first. But hey, it is what it is.

I will however say that I will not search for these things myself. I'm not going to look for people to end up in weird situations with, they always seem to find me first. But hey, it is what it is.
I do like your closing line you made for this post and can agree with it.

I'm currently using online dating. I'm currently on Eharmony. I use a worldwide search to find matches.

I would consider dating someone local. If it's discovered we have mutual friends that's great.

When I was 14 or 15, I met a guy through a Yahoo chatline. We hit it off pretty good and aside from being a thousand miles apart, we had an online relationship for a few months. It was great, but I think we broke it off due to distance.

Only online relationship I had. Did meet a friend once online and later hung out with at his house watching cartoons, but that was a very short-lived friendship. I don't remember why, we just drifted I guess.

I never gave two shits about online relationships, it wasn't real to me.
I've never gotten anywhere in person, I find dating sites utterly worthless as the women on them all seem the same and wanting the same thing, which I don't have.
And the few times I've gotten to the first meeting point, let's just say it's never gotten to a second meeting point.

There are dating sites for people with Asperger's syndrome yet? There are sites for christians, asians, blacks, seniors and business executives. Why not Aspies?

There are dating sites for people with Asperger's syndrome yet? There are sites for christians, asians, blacks, seniors and business executives. Why not Aspies?
I sure there many people wish there was dating sites on other specifics. But it hard to have a site covering all specifics.

There actually used to be. But as it seems that site is down and probably getting redone or just wont go online anymore.

The issue I found with that side is the amount of men versus the amount of women on there. And granted, it might not be different than other datingsites where you still need to stick out in the crowd to find someone (or be found) yet, I guess for people with some social and communication difficulties it might be less favorable to be involved in it (and thus the amount of women might shrink over time because of "bad" experiences)

New Threads

Top Bottom