• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

On the telephone?

Cazzie

hi all,
how do you cope useing the phone, mobile phone,

i sometimes find it quite diffuicet

do you think send a little text message saying..... is aright?

take care
cazzie

I prefer to text people than to answer the phone. I can talk to my friends alright on the phone but they always say I sound a lot like my brother. One time when I phoned my dad up at work, I was actually talking to my uncle without realizing it. So yeah, we all sound a like over the phone. At home though, I have a policy of not answering the phone as there is a 99.999% chance it won't be for me and even if it was, I'm usually busy on the computer anyway. The only exception I will make is if my grandparents want to talk to me or if my auntie/uncle from America phoned.

Like I said though, when talking to friends on the mobile it's alright. I don't say much and wouldn't phone them up for a conversation as such, it would be more of a "Where are you?" What time's the train?" Where will we meet?" type of thing. I generally don't have long conversations over the phone.

I tend to text people, and if I have to talk to people then I tend to text them first anyway to make sure they are available to pick up the phone.

I'm not really sure how you're meant to phone someone up, how many times are you meant to leave it ring? Minimum number of rings? maximum? Is it the right time of day to be phoning? Will they be busy? Will they be annoyed their phone is going off?

I rarely ever answer the phone in the house for the same reason as Calvert, it's almost never for me.

My wife and I text each other so that we don't have any misunderstandings. I text my internet friend also sometimes. NTs prefer to chat I think cos one told me I was odd communicating that way. I usually talk too loudly on the phone and when everyone turns to look at me I realize and then I get embarrassed.

I prefer to talk on the phone instead of texting...for me it is easier to say everything, as in texts I often feel I'm taken the wrong way. With ample time I choose the correct wording, but in quick back and forth texts I can come across as angry or condescending. I think sometimes my questions may be so basic in texts that they come across as sarcasm, when I'm really in need of the answer as I may have gotten lost in the topic. I also tend to want people to tell me the point first then fill in the details. I absolutely hate when people do things like, "guess who I ran into today? Wait, first let me tell you___."

It is most likely that I've been forced to cope with my fear of talking on the phone since it is a job requirement in the lines of work I've had. I also must be honest and say I probably aquired the nickname Jabber Jaws for a valid reason...though there are times when I prefer not to talk.

The greatest thing is caller ID. At work, I absolutely detest talking on the phone, so I check out who is calling, and if I'm not sure at all, I just force it to voice mail, listen to the message and send an email. Or not.... it is a great way to deal with salespeople who are cold-calling me.

At home, I've never felt beholden to the phone. I can just as easily sit and listen to it ring as answer it, much to the dismay of my wife. :)

I usually cope pretty well, if the person on the other end of the line, is somebody that I know. The person understands my accent and all. It's when I phone the different companies and restaurants around my area, that I run into trouble. I usually get some young airhead who happens to have a hard time, with accents.
:S

I never know when I can start talking or when I should stop. Talking with my (adult) niece, who is likely AS, on the phone is a bit of a circus.:lol2:

I had a career of talking on the phone between the years of '97 and '04. I answered calls for 411, cell phone billing and tech support, computer tech support, etc. One day I woke myself out of a dead sleep saying "What city and state?" :lol: However, I do not like texting whatsoever, and I prefer to talk on facebook, email, or in person rather than on a phone. If the conversation lasts longer than 3 minutes I start getting weary of it.

I'm okay talking to people I know well like my husband or my parents etc but having to phone companies or the doctor or anything like that fills me with dread but I HAVE to do it. I spent a few months covering reception when I was younger so I'm not as bad as I think I may have been without that. I do put off calling anyone as long as possible and if I can I will email instead.

If I have to call somebody my own age that I have never/very rarely spoken to on the telephone, I CANNOT do it. I broke down crying once after a conversation went so horribly wrong, and I simply do not have the ability to talk to them, because I'm afraid of what they'll think of me when I call them. As for texting...I was forced to get a cell phone, and since my dad didn't get a landline when we moved in April, I'm being forced to use it more. But I don't text message people. I don't even know anybody else's cell phone number, so I couldn't anyway. Plus, a person as devoted to proper grammar as I wouldn't be able to stand all the text lingo. It chills me to the bone.

I only have informal, short, conversations over the phone. Stuff like "I'm home late" or "Do you want anything from the store"... that's about it. I quite often have a hard time in keeping track of conversations, and it's even worse if it's "formal". Add up that I hate calling. But then again, I can't stand a ringing phone cause it'll disturb my personal routine a bit. Most of the time I'll call people back since it's on silent mode.

A few years ago I had a job at a callcenter for 3 days... after the 3rd day I thought about taking a train... that didn't have to stop at the station I was waiting for... if you understand what I'm saying. 3 days of calling people... erm.. harrasing people, made me contemplate suicide, and that already was after I found out that using a phone in general is not for me. I'm usually speechless on a phone, so if it's my job, it's not gonna work. And it's even worse if I have to call people. I reckon it might be more ok if people actually called in to ask for something (tech support or something), but even then... I'm pretty much a written conversation only person... at least, if it's full on information someone wants.

I'm kinda lucky my mom phones places for me, since she is a bit better on the phone, but even to her I'll tell her "I'll send an email"... it's not that I don't want to fix it myself, but the "phone us" exclusive option isn't working out for me in any way.

It is a fact that I don't do telephone or video chats. I feel stressed out using a piece of technology to transmit what I have to say using my voice and sometimes, my physical looks.

I enjoy texting or SMS-ing though. It takes away the less pleasant parts of social interaction from me. I am already super-assertive and direct, and I look really awkward on my voice (I have a high pitch voice, y'know) and I look weird physically (because others say I have B.O. and have pimples). at least, the words give me some control over what I am doing.

I dislike telephones. They are forever making noise caused by the intentions of people to whom I do not wish to speak.

I have no problem talking over the phone, but I can't stand texting. Emailing, and so forth is my cup of tea.There is something quite civilized about email; telephones are vulgar, bourgeois devices.

Text or email.

I really don't feel comfortable on the phone. I almost feel like I'm acting or being silly.

And for some reason, I'm told I talk loudly on the phone.

I am at my best on the phone as long as I know the person and there are no weird silences -if its important stuff or official I tend to speak very loudly and quickly which people mistake for aggression- i do this because i have so much info in my head and unless i get it all out in one go i'm scuppered-however I have found that either way once the phone call is over i either become over excited or extremely agitated-so either way there is an equal and opposite reaction.

i don't cope with using the phone. at all. not even with people i know. i've signed tons of things for various places saying that they can talk to my mom instead. i can talk to my mom on the phone, but only for short periods of time since i get anxious and then i get snappish. if i absolutely have to speak on the phone, i need warning in advance and i need to be alone without a chance of being overheard. but at 22, people are starting to think i'm weird for having my mom make calls for me.

I dislike telephones. They are forever making noise caused by the intentions of people to whom I do not wish to speak.

That's a great way to put it.

I resent being obliged to talk to someone just because they make that thing in the corner of the room make an annoying sound.

I find that the older I get the greater my aversion to taking on the telephone. I find it especially obnoxious at work when people call me with questions. It interrupts my train of thought, it forces me to think up answers on the fly and often it requires me participate in some degree of small talk whic I find exceedingly difficult. I much prefer email. I can then answer it on my own time, using carefully chosen language.

I have actually gotten to the point where I let most of my calls go to voicemail. I can then follow up with an email. If a conversation is necessary, I try to schedule it for a specific day and time. Then I can prepare myself better and psych myself up. I definitely think phones are overrated.

I generally hate new technology, but one sentence: Text messages are the greatest invention for us aspies.

New Threads

Top Bottom