• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

on autistic/NT functioning

bbc-bananasplit

I would like to share this excerpt of my research [out of my own obsessive interest to get hold of myself^^] on autism-spectrum/NT-functioning/thinking/perception and psychology, so as - hopefully - it may be of help to anyone.

autisticself.jpg

coherent: this means, that a coherent NT system is able to reflect upon itsself from a distance; or through somebody else's eyes. this means that a NT system is able to perceive itsself as one thing [a coherent, integrated self] in parallel to another self - making it possible to relate, differentiate, compare etc. to another self [another person], which is perceived as an equally functioning system. this means to perceive onself as self among other self - simultaniously - resulting in such things as common sense.

incoherent: this means, that the autistic system cannot quite perceive itsself as one thing - making it potentially instable, since it lacks selfperception and integration of its parts. nonetheless, it is quite capable of reflecting on its beeing - but, as I perceive it, only on its current state of being - which may change rapidly and appear, at times, splintered into various personality parts. in order to integrate such often contradicting parts it is necessary to perceive oneself from a distance - or, so to say, to get the big picture of oneself. missing this perspective of 3rd. person stance [viewing oneself from the outside/from a distance] or the pespective of the big picture makes it difficult to grasp the environment, other people and their actions, one's own actions and feelings/one's 'self' etc.. it is, so to say, a very narrow and flat point of view, missing depth and meaning, which results in a perception of the world in many unrelated pieces [or details] but a lack of larger focus.

--

multi-processual: the NT cerebrum is a highly automated system which enables it to use its attention on various actions of external importance. it may devide and direct its attention and switch tasks with little effort. however, its automated processes, especially in the socialized world, make it vulnerable to many perceptional biases. as the system relies heavily on the its subconscious-automated processing of internal and external inputs it it is to great degree dependent on its automation. this what one may call inside-the-box-thinking.

mono-processual:
the autistic cerebrum lacks integration of its own internal processes [resulting in hyperconsciousness], as well as the integration of external input [resulting in overflow]. the autistic cerebrum is automated to little degree, only - or, so to say, a manually operated system. one may say that it lacks the automated functioning necessary to function in the everyday world, which is fitted for highly automated systems, as its capability of informational processing and its processing speed is low. this is its weakness as well as its strength: due to its lack of automation it excells at observational, logical, analytic tasks, as well as in collecting, categorizing, theorizing. the lack of automation may also result in a somewhat unusual view of the world, strange bevahiour and ideas - or outside-the-box-thinking.

--

parallel functiong: essentially, this is similar to multi-processual functioning. it may be a different approch to thinking, meaning that the NT system may easily hold more than one train of thought in mind in parallel; or more than one thought object of attentional focus. a comparison is the working memory of a computer: in this the computer is capable of running more than one programme at once, comparing the various inputs and outputs.

sequence functiong: often, the autistic system is capable of holding only one train of thought in mind - lacking therefore the ability of mentalized comparison of two things. when pondering problems this often results in endless loops [lack of big picture/of total perspectiv from distance] and it may help to lay out one's thoughts verbally or visually on a paper/on PC. an effect of this way of thinking is that action and thought are sequenced chains, which - when interrupted - are hard to pick up again, since the chain of meaning is disrupted. this accounts for the inflexibility in thought and actions, rigid patterns in thought and behaviour, stress and anxiety in enviroments that demand constant task switching and perception/processing of more than one item at once.

The mono-processual nature would explain why aspies don't have a herd mentality.

Your terms are quite high level and most likely all manifest from a combination of neural circuits. In a way, saying that aspies are 'wired differently' is a good analogy if you are talking about axon configuration. So it would be interesting to know exactly which circuit or combination of circuits fire under what circumstance (eg cerebelum -> thalamus -> amygdala when task switching).

What would be even better would be a portable mri scanner that could actually 3d map the exact neurons that have fired, like a brain fit bit.

Give me the chills
my mother had to undergo an m.r.i ,when it was confirmed she had progressive bulbar palsy i never wanted to think about those words again

Your idea of a portable scanner sounds as if it might be useful, but if it requires implantation of electrodes in one's brain - NOT!!!

They have done some of that electrode installation and do have some information about stuff like task switching. It may have been the area connecting the two halves of the brain that gets the most activity as it passes information between the two main halves of the brain. It is called the corpus callosum. I think women are supposed to usually be better at task switching. I do not know whether women are this way innately or because of having to do this more because of mostly doing housework.

I am pretty sure that Lumosity brain fitness games/exercises could help with learning to switch tasks better. The train game might be the one of the best one for the purpose. This particular game has been an enormous help for me.

Here is an interesting site about our brains: Know your brain: Corpus callosum

This site is from a specialized scientific journal, so will not be everyone's cup of tea. Don't bother if scientific jargon is likely to cause any sort of overload or meltdown. Here it is: http://www.jneurosci.org/content/jneuro/26/5/1429.full.pdf

It seems to conflict with what I said previously about the importance of the corpus callosum in task switching.

I think that for people who are Aspies or Auties, it may not be that relevant to know what part of our brain is not working so well now. It might be more useful to try for things that might make us function better instead.

Lumosity has been a big help to me to improve my task switching abilities. It does not necessarily mean that it will work that way for any or all other Apsies and Auties. It would not hurt to try it, though. You can use Lumosity for free for a short while. I don't think the free Lumosity time is long enough to even find out whether it will do you any good. The basic to purchase is a month at a time and it was about $15.00 the last time I checked. You get the best deal if you can find several other people to share it with. This is called their, "Friends and Family Rate"' and only works out to about $5.00 a month when evenly divided whenpay a year in advance.

One month is probably long enough for most people to find out how well Lumosity will work for you. It takes a little while for most people to get used to several games. They test you to find your baseline and assign a set of games designed to give you a balanced brain workout. They will even send email reminders to do your brain fitness exercises every day, for free. Once you have a paid membership in Lumosity, you can do the exercises as much as you want to. You can find Lumosity by entering it in your search engine.

Last edited:
Banana,

Any thoughts on what alternate applications the NT collective system could have if it were focused on something other than what its currently doing? What about individual autistic systems...what capacities could they have if not limited to existing in the NT world? Are those questions too hypothetical? I like to think about them, but don't have any clear answers.

Human females have a much larger speech centre than human males thats the theory about reason communication

I saw one PET scan resolution article that shows the five different stages our thought processes go through vs three for NTs.
Who knows what an NT would be capable of if they weren't confined to their world or their brain structures. Most of them probably wouldn't care anyway as they are so wrapped up in the mundane ways of human societal norms. Maybe they are happy? Can't relate to what I haven't experienced. :confused:

The capacities that you mention:
Banana,

Any thoughts on what alternate applications the NT collective system could have if it were focused on something other than what its currently doing? What about individual autistic systems...what capacities could they have if not limited to existing in the NT world? Are those questions too hypothetical? I like to think about them, but don't have any clear answers.

are still unknown at this point. It would be nice to think that we could all do wonderful things.

no you just lie on the scanner bed more accuracy comes because areas like the amygdalla are already mapped
i think the common problem is claustrophobia
Your idea of a portable scanner sounds as if it might be useful, but if it requires implantation of electrodes in one's brain - NOT!!!

They have done some of that electrode installation and do have some information about stuff like task switching. It may have been the area connecting the two halves of the brain that gets the most activity as it passes information between the two main halves of the brain. It is called the corpus callosum. I think women are supposed to usually be better at task switching. I do not know whether women are this way innately or because of having to do this more because of mostly doing housework.

I am pretty sure that Lumosity brain fitness games/exercises could help with learning to switch tasks better. The train game might be the one of the best one for the purpose. This particular game has been an enormous help for me.

Here is an interesting site about our brains: Know your brain: Corpus callosum

This site is from a specialized scientific journal, so will not be everyone's cup of tea. Don't bother if scientific jargon is likely to cause any sort of overload or meltdown. Here it is: http://www.jneurosci.org/content/jneuro/26/5/1429.full.pdf

It seems to conflict with what I said previously about the importance of the corpus callosum in task switching.

I think that for people who are Aspies or Auties, it may not be that relevant to know what part of our brain is not working so well now. It might be more useful to try for things that might make us function better instead.

Lumosity has been a big help to me to improve my task switching abilities. It does not necessarily mean that it will work that way for any or all other Apsies and Auties. It would not hurt to try it, though. You can use Lumosity for free for a short while. I don't think the free Lumosity time is long enough to even find out whether it will do you any good. The basic to purchase is a month at a time and it was about $15.00 the last time I checked. You get the best deal if you can find several other people to share it with. This is called their, "Friends and Family Rate"' and only works out to about $5.00 a month when evenly divided whenpay a year in advance.

One month is probably long enough for most people to find out how well Lumosity will work for you. It takes a little while for most people to get used to several games. They test you to find your baseline and assign a set of games designed to give you a balanced brain workout. They will even send email reminders to do your brain fitness exercises every day, for free. Once you have a paid membership in Lumosity, you can do the exercises as much as you want to. You can find Lumosity by entering it in your search engine.
you lie on the scanner bed no electrodes

New Threads

Top Bottom