• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

old/early recordings anyone?

rgodridge

this might seem like a strange one, but here is my main obsession.
Not a lot of people realise that commercial recording actually started in the 1880s and some of these have survived. To me these are just about the most fascinating thing on this planet.. anything recorded pre 1925 fascinates me. I collect records and cylinders and have about 2 or 3 thousand pre 1925 records that i play on a 19227 gramophone and about 120 or so wax cylinders that i play on an edison phonograph from 1906.
a few of the sort of high lights that really get me going every time i play them are
a home recording, e.g recording made in somebody's house i think it looks to have been made some time between the late 1890s and about 1904 or 5, the blank cylinder they used was bought around that time anyway. The reason this particular recording fascinates me so much is that it is very, very indistinct and poorly recorded, almost ghostly and is very crackly due to the cylinder being so warn.
a berliner record. These were the first disc records ever, ever made. This one is from 1899 i think and while i have several of these, 4 or 5, this one is a whistling solo! these things were very popular back then and a lot of them were recorded as they were captured well by the technology of the time, and trust me, they are very interesting. Artistic whistling really is a lost art form! if you don't believe me try to look up joe belmonte, the most famous of these artistic whistlers, on youtube or something or gogle something like 1890s whistling solos.
anyway.. I could go on about this for hours.

While I collect records, it is mostly the music on them i collect rather than the record itself. I have a lot of digital music files but there is something about playing a record, knowing there is a lot of history behind it and I feel lucky and privilaged to even hold some of these early records.
If you are interested in any of this, the cylinder digitisation project is the best thing the internet has to offer or one of them, in my opinion. Also the 1920s radio network is a station that plays a lot of this stuff and if you want to know more abotu it, just ask :d

I just listen to old pre-TV shows on the radio, usually when I'm riding in my dad's car. I like radio more than TV.

oh yes, I love old time radio stuff, especially the shaddow, whistler and some of those old comedy shows. and some of the early sherloc holmes shows are really great too!
I also love the big band era stuff and the benny goodman radio shows are great, they really show that band a lot better than their 78s do.

Anyone here with any iPhone will find that there are multiple vintage radio shows uploaded to the iTunes store and they're easy to stream. Just use terms like old and radio show. In January, I went on a 2-month kick where that was all I listened to.

I've always been impressed with old (converted to ADD) recordings from conductors like Leopold Stowkowsky or Herbert Von Karajan.

I been collecting music for a long time and have a lot of vinyl.
20's to 40's music has been a great love of mine for a while, I am quite obsessed with Al Bowlly songs and have got lots of them on digital format.
Jack Payne (and his orchestra) has been my favourite listen for the last year or so, although I don't own any of the original vinyl...
I keep listening to this 'compalation' over and over...

Strangely the last girl I got intimate with looks EXACTLY like Ruth Etting... I had to show her a photo... she was as stunned as I was at the likeness, swear to god, they look identical, apart from the clothes:)

I had this piece of music for years on a tape, or most of it anyway, the end was cut off and I never knew the name.. I just used an iphone app called Shazam which identified it, so amazing

We used to have hundreds of LP's that my folks collected in the mid 70's to early 80's but whats become of them I don't know. I have recordings of old radio shows like The Goon Show and the Paul Temple Mysteries on CD and Ipod that I enjoy a lot, as well as some vintage jazz recordings (it sounds better that way somehow than in crystal clear digital). I miss the old days of visiting the old record shop, I was fascinated by records as a child.

New Threads

Top Bottom