• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Oh hello, I'm Shayla!

Hi, I'm Shayla. I'm 25 and live in north-central WV with my awesomely supportive husband and our three cats, and am looking for a doctor to finally have a "proper" diagnosis. I have two brothers, both have been diagnosed for a while now (both around the time I was already 18). I've held off diagnosis partly because of the availability of doctors in my area, insurance, and the fact that, quite frankly, I had my symptoms way better controlled in high school and early college.

For hobbies, I enjoy crocheting, playing video games (nothing first-person, however, as I get really terrible motion sickness), painting miniatures for games such as Warhammer 40k, and reading epic fantasy novels. Oh, and I like board games a fair bit, though my best board game friends moved away and we've had a lot of trouble finding new people to hang out with since then.

I'm trying to get back into the habit of writing, but on top of the 50 hours a week I spend out of the house for work, I need to make sure I'm getting chores done around the house and getting properly unwound. So if I'm not in a natural flow (where I've been known to write 4000-6000 words in two hours), I tend to try to devote my time to my proven de-stress methods and use some time to just get outlines prepared for when I *am* feeling inspired.

Also, I'm a huge fan of calligraphy and fountain pens, and use a set of disposable fountain pens at work (just so I wouldn't have to go through any sort of depression about someone stealing a nice pen off of my desk), and love Moleskine journals... even though Moleskines and fountain pens totally don't get along, ha ha.

Now I'll stop rambling so people can actually post and whatnot. :D

Welcome to AC! I love Moleskines, as well, and use them for journaling, though I only use comfortable, smooth ball point pens, heh. My therapist has a fountain pen and I love it when he writes me notes with it; so very pretty to look at. :)

I paint figures as well. :D Always liked the visuals of figures in formations. Mine have normally been historical subjects, but the most recent period was actually fantasy (Lord of the Rings). I also sculpt my own from time to time. Also married NT. No cats, but 4 dogs... most of them cat size or smaller though.

Welcome to AC. There are lots of helpful minions around to offer resources, just watch out for Gru. He's a handful. :)

Oh I love those things. I tried learning calligraphy but I am not naturally dextrous and I though I tried, I did not manage to be able to do it. I really appreciate the work when I see it. Old manuscripts are so amazing, when writers meant "Writers", people who do the scribing. I wish it was a skill I had but I will continue to enjoy seeing it.

I also love pens. I tried using fountain pens but couldn't quite figure them out. I would scratch the paper or leave blots and drabs. The feel wonderful in my hand and I wish I knew how to use them and had lots of them.

Welcome to Aspie Central :)

Also, I'm a huge fan of calligraphy and fountain pens, and use a set of disposable fountain pens at work (just so I wouldn't have to go through any sort of depression about someone stealing a nice pen off of my desk), and love Moleskine journals... even though Moleskines and fountain pens totally don't get along, ha ha. :D

Welcome to AC! I love Moleskines, as well, and use them for journaling, though I only use comfortable, smooth ball point pens, heh. My therapist has a fountain pen and I love it when he writes me notes with it; so very pretty to look at. :)

I got into fountain pens because my high school history and psychology teacher used one to grade our papers (typically with hot pink ink). I loved her handwriting soooo much, and just something about the fountain pen made her notes on assignments feel a bit more well thought out and personal. I've picked up some mini ballpoint pens to put in my pocket Moleskines, but I need to try another brand or two - either I just made a terrible pick, or quality suffers a bit to make the pens extra tiny. :p

I paint figures as well. :D Always liked the visuals of figures in formations. Mine have normally been historical subjects, but the most recent period was actually fantasy (Lord of the Rings). I also sculpt my own from time to time. Also married NT. No cats, but 4 dogs... most of them cat size or smaller though.

We just got in our Reaper Bones Kickstarter order, so I'm really excited to give the dragon models a proper look over. I did get a good look at some of the other models, though, and really adore the anthropomorphic mice - they're just so well detailed and adorable, ha ha. Aside from them, I have a bunch of Grey Knights, and picked up a fair number of models from the Warmaster Undead faction - though, I don't know anyone that plays that one and they're being phased out of production, they look pretty cool, particularly the zombie dragon.

I also love pens. I tried using fountain pens but couldn't quite figure them out. I would scratch the paper or leave blots and drabs. The feel wonderful in my hand and I wish I knew how to use them and had lots of them.

For general writing, I really like the disposable fountain pens (mine are Pilot Varsity if you'd like to look them up). I find they write a lot like a smooth gel pen, but just let out a little more ink. They have a smallish ball-shaped nib tip, too, so the writing looks like a standard pen - no worrying about nib orientation creating thinner/thicker strokes. I've been hoping to experiment with calligraphy using a Wacom tablet, though. Something about having access to "CTRL+Z" sounds really appealing, ha ha.

New Threads

Top Bottom