• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Number one villain?

The Joker at least has the excuse of being crazier than... er... than a crazy thing. He doesnt just have a screw loose, he lost all of them.

Frieza cant blame his actions on a lack of screws, instead he's just that darned evil. To be fair he seems to have mellowed out at least a LITTLE in recent times, but that's just the Goku Effect kicking in, everyone that spends a bit of time with that guy mellows out at least a tad.

He’s more of an anti-hero but when he wants to be a villain, Lobo definitely hits hard. Not only did he kill every other member of his species as well as his own children (Except for his daughter, Crush, who will be in a mini-series with him this summer), he’s banned from both Heaven and Hell.

latest

Sharon Stone apparently (seriously, that post was not what I was expecting)

It's a really hard question, because a lot of the most evil villains are also the lamest when you look at who they actually are. Not like bad writing, but I just can't be impressed anymore when they're so petty. They feel hollow.

Hannibal Lecter's pretty bad. Also Voldemort. I don't know enough examples, but my criteria would be, for commision of extreme evil where they are not insane, @Markness gave what looks like a great example!

Okay, I've got one: God, AKA "Chuck", from Supernatural.

Deeeeeefinitely not the usual take on the concept of "God". God in most media usually represents absolute good, or sometimes what I'd call "cruel absolute good", depending on the writer.

But in Supernatural... heck no. Just... wow. Talk about a villain.

He shows up early on in the series. Season... 3? I think? At first, he's only known as "Chuck" (which turns out to be his preferred name always, just because) and he appears human... nobody realizes who he is even though there is a slight foreshadowing (which, at the time, probably wasnt meant to be so). He doesnt do anything bad and is brought out as a good guy, albeit a seemingly weak one that the Winchesters (the 2 main characters, Sam and Dean) need to protect from the angels (who also dont work quite as expected... not evil, per say, but definitely complete jerks much of the time) and others.

The angels are jerks because, as one of the non-jerk ones explains, God himself just sort of vanished awhile back... nobody knows where he went. Without him, the angels dont entirely know what to do, and start to get a bit snotty while running things. So the angels play the part of the Big Bad for a couple of seasons. During this time, the main characters decide to search for God, figure out where the heck he went. Not only do the angels need to be reigned in, but Lucifer and another archangel (AKA, two insanely powerful characters) are preparing for a rather stupid battle, which would wreck pretty much everything in the process. All of this because of God's absence... apparently. Eventually those two are stopped, and the angels are at least sorta chastized by the whole thing.

That's one of the most major aspects of the series, is the constant trouble that's being caused because of God's absence. Eventually one of the angels, Metatron (who goes on to be the Big Bad of THAT season, because of course he does) finds God as Chuck, who explains to him that he left apparently out of frustration. Supposedly, he kept trying to help, to be very hands-on, but things went wrong every time... he figured the best idea was to step away, hide out on Earth, and stop meddling so much.

So, all the way, Chuck is built up as the typical Big Good, albeit one who was sort of absent from where he should be. During all of this, all sorts of other villains pop up and monsters and lots of crazy things happen and everyone dies a lot (Dean in particular gets killed over 100 times in one episode, which was... definitely something. Even Krillen from DBZ didnt die THAT much). The main characters are put through hell (sometimes literally) really often. The series is big on the horror elements and can be very bloody and it's one of those "absolutely anyone can die, nobody has plot armor" sorts of series.

Fast forward to the final 2 seasons. Chuck is confronted because reasons, and reveals the truth: he was behind everything. Literally everything. Every villain, every bad event, every war in history, every catastrophe, absolutely everything. Why? He'd not only gotten bored over the course of a bazillion years, but he was also INCREDIBLY self-centered. The universe was just a toy to him. It just had to be entertaining. And nobody knew it until he revealed it... not even the angels or other major villains.

And then from there he goes on a berserk rampage, zooming all over the world and killing everything. Not easy and fast, either. He wants it to be fun. He isnt stopped at the time, either. He succeeds in obliterating all life, except for the Winchesters and a couple of others. He decides to finish them slowly, as they were his most intricate "toys" but also had been completely defying him during those two seasons and had also managed to seriously wound him.

Of course, the heroes do end up defeating him (and it wasnt the first time they'd beaten a cosmic-level threat, as God was not the only one with that level of sheer power... yeah, this is one of those series where villain power-creep is a big thing), and one of the other good guys completely steals his power and becomes the new God and restores the world. And Chuck there doesnt learn a darned thing from it.

Which to me just shows just HOW BAD he had become, and how much of a villain he was. I mean, even freaking Frieza has standards, but Chuck had none whatsoever. And even Frieza changed a bit and mellowed out somewhat over the course of the Dragonball series, but Chuck here never improved... he only got even worse upon starting his final rampage.

So yeah, there's a villain entry for ya. Honestly I always thought that series as a whole was pretty good at coming up with good villain characters, which isnt easy for any writer to do.

Okay, I've got one: God, AKA "Chuck", from Supernatural.
Deeeeeefinitely not the usual take on the concept of "God". God in most media usually represents absolute good, or sometimes what I'd call "cruel absolute good", depending on the writer.
But in Supernatural... heck no. Just... wow. Talk about a villain.
So yeah, there's a villain entry for ya. Honestly I always thought that series as a whole was pretty good at coming up with good villain characters, which isnt easy for any writer to do.

I have never watched this series, but you have just sold me on it!

I have never watched this series, but you have just sold me on it!

Oh yes, it's great! It's also very looooooooooong. 15 seasons!

So good though. A lot of horror elements and a good story, yet at the very same time it manages to not take itself TOO seriously. Too many horror-styled works of fiction are All Serious All The Time and while I like horror fiction, that does get a tad tiresome after the 8000th time. I mean, really, just because you're trying to be scary doesnt mean you cant also be funny sometimes, yeah? So this series was a huge breath of fresh air to me.

It's very good about creating likable and memorable characters, too. Crowley in particular will always remain one of my favorite villains of all time. I didnt choose him for this topic though due to the massive amount of character development he gets... he ends up as more of an anti-villain, if that makes sense. He teams up with the heroes frequently enough that they have each other on speed-dial on their phones later on, which is hilarious to me. He serves the villain role well when the episode calls for it but many other villains are soooooo much nastier than he ever was.

The only other thing I can even somewhat compare this series to is Buffy. I think anyone who liked Buffy would like this, and same the other way around. Though obviously the style is different as Buffy is a much older show. In particular Supernatural is much more.... brutal, I think is the right word. You'll see what I mean.

@Misery You said it right.
Supernatural and Chuck instantly came to mind when I read the topic title.
That is still a great series I could watch again anytime.

OOH, I've thought of another one. Favorite villain #2.

This one comes from Star Trek... specifically, the "extended universe stuff" (books).

Story time, because I always just loved this one:

This guy's name is simply "0". No, I dont know why. 0 is a character who is rather similar to Q, in that he's all-powerful and can do basically anything with no effort... the guy could probably annihilate the universe if he felt like it (of course, he's stuck IN it, so he probably wouldnt... though he'd likely survive it if he did). Very similar type of entity. Like Q, his power is incomprehensible, and for any mortal, seeing his "true form" would destroy their sanity instantly. This all gives you an idea of just how much of a threat he poses.

Well, the book starts out with the Enterprise (Picard's Enterprise specifically) approaching the Galactic Barrier. For the uninitiated, the Galactic Barrier is sort of a wall that completely surrounds the galaxy. It is incredibly dangerous, and trying to pass through it is... not a very smart move. It'll utterly wreck any ship that tries, while at the same time totally destroying the minds/sanity of whoever is on board. No ship has ever passed through successfully (though Kirk tried once... yeah it didnt go so well). The origin of the Barrier is unknown at the time.

Well, this scientist guy believes he's created a device that can finally drill a hole through the Barrier, allowing a ship to pass through, so the Enterprise is, of course, called upon to perform the experiment with him. Upon getting close to the Barrier, Q appears. He issues a very stern warning to Picard, saying NOT to mess with the Barrier at all. The female Q also shows up at the same time because why not.

Q keeps showing up as the preparations continue, until eventually... as usual... Picard gets fed up with Q and just yells at him to stop being cryptic and just explain himself for once. Oddly, Q complies for once instead of just making a snarky response, and warps out with Picard on a wild trip through time, and Q's own history.

A bunch of stuff is seen, culminating with Q's younger self declaring that he's supremely bored. He goes to the Guardian of Forever (an ancient device that can portal you to other dimensions) and asks it to simply "show me something new!" It opens up, and Q jumps through, finding himself in a bizarre wasteland. There, he meets 0. It's made clear to the reader that something is just really off about this guy, but young Q is just too dense to notice. 0 is apparently stuck there, having once sustained a wound that "removed his ability to travel at faster than light speeds or jump dimensions", which is also a bad omen... how could something like him be harmed? He asks Q to take him out of that world, as Picard and the older Q watch. Picard, of course, instantly realizes that younger Q is about to do something phenomenally stupid. Q himself basically has this "oh God, here it comes" look the whole time.

Young Q takes 0 back through the Guardian of Forever.... only for the thing to activate, go bonkers, and try to resist, while spitting out ominous errors about "entity incompatible with universe parameters". Young Q of course is stronger than the Guardian device, and succeeds in bringing 0 over.

Cue the evil lunacy. 0 tricks Q into participating in "testing lesser species", making Q think that he wants to test them to help them transcend or something. Turns out, his tests are brutal... and he really, REALLY doesnt like losing. Young Q is all excited that the planet they're testing is passing all of 0's tests, but 0 isnt having any of it... right before the inhabitants would begin truly travelling the stars, 0 crushes their sun. While he's doing this, his appearance sort of glitches out, changing rapidly between his normal form, and this freaky mass of spastic tentacles. So there's Bad Sign #2. Young Q does everything to try to stop him, but 0 has friends who came along, and young Q may be infinite, but he cant defeat four equally infinite foes at once. Eventually, this all culminates with a war between the Continuum, and 0's crew. 0 is defeated, shoved outside of the galaxy, and the Barrier is created.

So, the great Galactic Barrier, its entire function is just to keep out this ONE guy (the other barrier, at the core of the galaxy, is to hold the strongest of his buddies). That's the only reason it exists. That's just how dangerous 0 is.

Needless to say, that's not the last Picard sees of him. It turns out that the scientist was never acting alone... 0 had found a way to get his influence through just a tad, enough to infect this guy's mind. With 0's help, the scientist did manage to crack the Barrier, letting 0 through.

Problem was, 0 had been trapped out there for an absurd amount of time. Godlike though he was, his sanity was destroyed. A complete madman now, he jumps onto the Enterprise and of course becomes an immediate problem.

Picard yells at Q to do something about it, and Q attacks 0... only for his attack to do literally nothing. Q goes "...oh no", which isnt something you want to hear from him. As Q later explains, while his power is truly infinite, there are layers of reality that are so deep, that neither he nor any of the other Q would ever dig that far down, because it'd wreck their minds. 0, already insane, went that far, and had become MORE than infinite. Which doesnt make a whole lot of sense, but he did it anyway. So strong that even Q could not scratch him. And his entire goal is revenge against Q, and control of the galaxy... with the Enterprise as his way of getting around.

Naturally, things escalate from there, as 0 restricts Q's power, forcing him to physically run away on the ship while 0 has fun chasing him. Throughout this, Q is confident that "Picard will think of something, he always does". So, he's relying on a normal guy, powerless, to stop a more-than-infinite and totally insane eldritch abomination from beyond time and space. Just a bit of pressure.

The entire time though, the Calamarain (this weird cloud thing composed of numerous entities that was *almost* near Q's level of evolution) had been attacking the Enterprise entirely because Q was on it (one of 0's early targets was them, and they'd seen Q with him, so they hated him).

OF COURSE Picard does think of something. He convinces the Calamarain to board the Enterprise, and help Q, and that 0 had been their true enemy, not Q. They do so, and sort of fuse with him at the last moment. I always think of this part of Q sort of going Super Saiyan, because that's basically what happens. 0 is beyond infinite, but Fused Q is way, WAY beyond that.

Cue the most anti-climactic moment I've seen in the series: he points at 0, turns him into a spider, and steps on him, and that fight is over. 0 isnt killed (he probably cant be) but with the help of the Continuum, he's shoved out again and the Barrier is restored.

Of course, this means there's STILL no real way out of the galaxy... and all because of this ONE villain. And that's just how terrible he is. And that book (well, trilogy) is one of my personal favorite reads, really.

Incidentally, neither 0 nor even Fused Q are the most powerful things to show up in the series. Star Trek has ALWAYS had that crazy power-creep going, with all sorts of godlike characters and eldritch nightmares showing up.

I've always liked villains that you can kind of empathize with and have an understandable reason for the
Oh yes, it's great! It's also very looooooooooong. 15 seasons!

The only other thing I can even somewhat compare this series to is Buffy. I think anyone who liked Buffy would like this, and same the other way around. Though obviously the style is different as Buffy is a much older show. In particular Supernatural is much more.... brutal, I think is the right word. You'll see what I mean.

I am obsessed with Buffy so I'm very excited to binge a new show! haha

@Misery
Thanks for the story rendition.
I love Star Trek and always liked Q.
Don't remember 0, but sounds good.

Is this why when humans are astounded by something, they say "OH?" :D

New Threads

Top Bottom