• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

NT people who do half a job!

Boundaries. My impulse on any project is to want to do the whole thing myself and do it all perfectly and do it the way I want. but I have to set boundaries to keep both myself and others on track.

Case in point: I wrote one part of a software development kit that others are supposed to use to write their software. Someone in another department wrote to me once and said, "I need to write one of these. How do I do it?"

So, I replied with, "It's pretty easy. Here's a sample that you can use."

They wrote later, "Thanks. I need another one, with these other special features."

I replied again with, "Here's code that will do that special thing."

By this time, I had discussed their dependence and their need to do their own work with my boss. I had my reply ready for next time, and my boss's approval on it. They wrote a third time and asked, "Can you write us one that does this new thing now?" I wrote back, "That sounds like quite a challenge. Let me know how it turns out."

I never heard back from them.

Boundaries. Good fences make good neighbors.

That's good advice thanks! I need to put up a fence making it clear what I am and I am not prepared to do, and put up with too. My impulse is also to do things myself and the way I want. I'm a great believer in the expression "if you want a job done properly, do it yourself!" I also try to help others but that is going to stop, they are taking advantage. I'm looking forward to being left on my own to work in peace.

Short of picking up the mess and dumping it on their desk, you can do your part of the tidying and leave the rest. If you are in a group of 6, tidy exactly one sixth of the work space. If they complain, tell them it wasn't your mess to clean up, it was theirs.

Totally sympathise with Starfire. Part of my burnout was due to doing the work of 2 people (possibly more) in my jobs I've had working with animals. Working with animals you'd think your managers and colleagues would all muck in and all work towards the one same goal. Then I realized I was working with NT's so it couldn't possibly be that straight forward.

Once your managers see that you are like a super machine that produces more and more and sees things others don't even though half the time they are easy to spot you get even more work piled on whilst the shirkers get less and less to do. Worse than that, they get better thought of for it. Where is the logic in that?!

NT logic seems to be to totally alienate the worker that gives it their all so that they end up overwhelmed, angry and end up leaving and instead would happily have more employees that aren't anywhere near as productive, professional or diligent. These people are supposed to be managers and thus know what is best for their organization but they are not fit for purpose half the time.

Once your managers see that you are like a super machine that produces more and more and sees things others don't even though half the time they are easy to spot you get even more work piled on whilst the shirkers get less and less to do. Worse than that, they get better thought of for it. Where is the logic in that?

This is absolutely my experience too! It's a crazy situation that I will never understand, it's not fair or reasonable either, and makes ridiculous business sense. I suppose if managers have a certain amount of work to do in a set time they will push and push, but it always seems to be the wrong people getting pushed! I often hear the lazy ones say what's the point, "those who work hard and do their best, go down the road with all the rest!" Like you said though Skids, if everyone mucked in it safeguards everyone's jobs and makes life better and easier for everyone.

This is an interesting point but I'm not sure if it's always true. Does it not presume we have some kind of Aspie magic superpower that we can see things others can't? The only way I could test this hypothesis is to constantly ask people "just out of interest, do you know that you missed this, or that is not level, do you know you didn't cut this straight etc?"

Where I work that would be likely to end in a broken nose, and the swift loss of my chameleon like ability!
Oh dear! I know what you mean. Well, more like maybe we see things in a different way, but because what is valued is what the majority find valuable, what we see is not as appreciated. So they look like they are doing half a job to us, but to them, maybe they think we are being overly analytical and obsessive and rigid, things which , of course, we are routinely called!

It used to frustrate me but I have learned to say no. NT people have a different perspective. What makes no money or useful work connections/networking, it doesn't make sense to them so you need to detect what is beneficial for your career and future and say no to the rest of it if it involves people who are not your friends and do not help you.

Does anyone else find that many NT people seem to think it's ok to do half a job, (the cream), and leave the rest to the Aspie? The reason being apparently, Aspies 'enjoy the challenge', 'they are good with the fiddly stuff', 'they will spot the mistakes quickly' etc etc!

I'm on a real downer at work because I usually work on my own, but recently I've had to work with others. When I do my work I plan it in my head, do it, leave it complete and my workplace clean and tidy. I would never expect anyone else to have to tidy any loose ends behind me, it would bother me if that was the case. Why can't people be methodical, thorough, have pride in undertaking and completing a job without leaving the crap to someone else? I don't understand how you can feel that doing that is ok, it's just not right!

I'm finding it very upsetting and depressing and it's making me anxious. It feels like recently people think I'm only good for cleaning up their mess and doing what they can't be bothered to do. Sometimes I wish I could be like that, but it would be on my mind in the evening and weekends if I didn't do things properly. It would have an effect on my mood, sleeping, and digestion.

I know so many people like this. It's so unfortunate. I always say, even if I don't like my job, that's no one's fault but mine, and I shouldn't be imposing on other people to make them miserable as well. People do a "half-assed" job because they don't care. And the worst part of all of it is that employers expect the responsible employees to pick up the pieces, as it is easier to push someone who is slightly motivated, than someone who doesn't care at all.

My only advice is leave work at work. Know it is just a job at the end of the day. My coworkers often leave a huge mess for me on night- shift to clean up. I do it, and endorse my work completed in the morning. Just because someone is awful, doesn't mean I have to be too. I don't necessarily consider it pride in the job, but pride in myself. And then I run home and don't think about them until I have to be there again. That skill took me a particular long time to master though... we tend to think about things that bother us, A LOT.

I know so many people like this. It's so unfortunate. I always say, even if I don't like my job, that's no one's fault but mine, and I shouldn't be imposing on other people to make them miserable as well. People do a "half-assed" job because they don't care. And the worst part of all of it is that employers expect the responsible employees to pick up the pieces, as it is easier to push someone who is slightly motivated, than someone who doesn't care at all.

My only advice is leave work at work. Know it is just a job at the end of the day. My coworkers often leave a huge mess for me on night- shift to clean up. I do it, and endorse my work completed in the morning. Just because someone is awful, doesn't mean I have to be too. I don't necessarily consider it pride in the job, but pride in myself. And then I run home and don't think about them until I have to be there again. That skill took me a particular long time to master though... we tend to think about things that bother us, A LOT.

I couldn't agree with you more! I also find it very interesting that out of all the comments on this thread, not a single person has said "why bother?", "if you can get someone else to do the rubbish, leave them to it!", Screw it that's not my job/problem/concern!" etc, etc. The comments all seem to be largely from people like us who are being taken advantage of, while managers turn a blind eye or are actively involved! I really believe that we are incredibly conscientious, and have the capacity to be a real boon to a good employer.

Unfortunately for the sake of our own wellbeing we seem to have to learn as @Lastbutnotleast said, to say no, as well as what you said, learn to switch off when we get home or we have no chance of recharging our batteries, and that is the start of a slippery slope downwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
, learn to switch off when we get home or we have no chance of recharging our batteries, and that is the start of a slippery slope downwards.

... except one of the people in my life who does these infuritating half-jobs is at home! lol. still... must try to chill. :sunflower:

... except one of the people in my life who does these infuritating half-jobs is at home! lol. still... must try to chill. :sunflower:

Oh yes haha, I forgot about that! I have two little half-job cheeky monkeys, only one of them isn't so little anymore.

Why can't people be methodical, thorough, have pride in undertaking and completing a job without leaving the crap to someone else?

This is a bit of a soap box for me.

I work in software engineering in the finance industry. And I would go one step further. Not only do they not plan, execute it badly and leave it for others to clean up, they frequently get REWARDED FOR IT!

I'm not kidding! A guy I know at work got promoted for doing a shoddy half a***ed job and leaving a huge mess for the operations team to maintain ... forever! And he got applauded for doing it so quickly. Of course he did it quickly, he didn't plan, design or test the freaking thing.

I honestly can't understand it either. I think it stems from ignorance. Neurotypicals seem to blunder blindly through life. They can never comprehend the complexity of a task, they can't picture how it would work, they don't understand the impact on the other end, they just stumble blindly from one task to another and convince themselves that they are doing a good job. Then pat each other on the back for being equally as ignorant.

I don't have any good advice on dealing with it, but I do have some terrible advice. The only way I can stomach this is not to care. I know it sounds bad, but I try and compartmentalize (or outright ignore) these sorts of people, only really pay attention to the people I respect and have a rule that if "I" do something then I either do it well or don't bother.

Idiots. I'm surrounded by idiots.

I work in software engineering in the finance industry. And I would go one step further. Not only do they not plan, execute it badly and leave it for others to clean up, they frequently get REWARDED FOR IT!

I'm not kidding! A guy I know at work got promoted for doing a shoddy half a***ed job and leaving a huge mess for the operations team to maintain ... forever! And he got applauded for doing it so quickly. Of course he did it quickly, he didn't plan, design or test the freaking thing.

I honestly can't understand it either. I think it stems from ignorance. Neurotypicals seem to blunder blindly through life. They can never comprehend the complexity of a task, they can't picture how it would work, they don't understand the impact on the other end, they just stumble blindly from one task to another and convince themselves that they are doing a good job. Then pat each other on the back for being equally as ignorant.

I don't have any good advice on dealing with it, but I do have some terrible advice. The only way I can stomach this is not to care. I know it sounds bad, but I try and compartmentalize (or outright ignore) these sorts of people, only really pay attention to the people I respect and have a rule that if "I" do something then I either do it well or don't bother.

Im thinking of some variation of the peter principle, where people are promoted to their level,of incompetence...
But what principle is it when they're incompetent at the start?

I have people like this that I work with, but most of them work the polar opposite shift that I do. They know better than to do it while I'm there because I have never once had a problem with calling people out on stuff.

Many times now, I have come into my workplace and it has been filthy. Things left over from last night, trash not taken out, things in the wrong spot out of sheer laziness! It burns me up.

So what do I do? I take pictures of it all. I must have an entire album dedicated to this stuff, it happens so often.

And then? I take it to my supervisor. If nothing changes, then I take it to the person above that, and so on. I refuse to let others slide when it happens repeatedly and is becoming a habit.

I do my work (and I do it well) and I will answer for my own mistakes and problems and change them as soon as they're brought to my attention. I am not perfect and I have made mistakes.

But I won't suffer someone else's laziness. Not when it impacts me and my ability to do my job. I'm an a-hole like that.

I can't stand when people think they can use a workstation without returning it back to a condition ready for the next job before leaving. It's just apathy and laziness. I don't think they'd get out of bed in the morning if they didn't know they'd get hungry. They should have had to do kindergarten over again. I've had people many times act like being told that having to clean up is a punishment, rather than a necessary part of the job, when they are the ones indiscriminately punishing the next person!

I hate it when people start something, but don't finish it and leave me to finish it. For example, my partner who starts the washing machine, but doesn't take the clothes out to dry, or he cooks, but doesn't wash up, or he eats something and then leaves the empy packet in the fridge.

On the other hand, I'm guilty of this too sometimes, because I get distracted while in the middle of doing something and then forget to finish.

Very well said! Something else which came to mind about how the least deserving often rise to the top is that it's purely due to nepotism! I'm becoming more and more aware of how many uncles, fathers, cousins, sons and daughters, etc, etc, are helping each other up the greasy pole! They are also covering up each other's mistakes, shortcomings, laziness and incompetence.

I have people like this that I work with, but most of them work the polar opposite shift that I do. They know better than to do it while I'm there because I have never once had a problem with calling people out on stuff.

Many times now, I have come into my workplace and it has been filthy. Things left over from last night, trash not taken out, things in the wrong spot out of sheer laziness! It burns me up.

So what do I do? I take pictures of it all. I must have an entire album dedicated to this stuff, it happens so often.

And then? I take it to my supervisor. If nothing changes, then I take it to the person above that, and so on. I refuse to let others slide when it happens repeatedly and is becoming a habit.

I do my work (and I do it well) and I will answer for my own mistakes and problems and change them as soon as they're brought to my attention. I am not perfect and I have made mistakes.

But I won't suffer someone else's laziness. Not when it impacts me and my ability to do my job. I'm an a-hole like that.

Photos is a great idea but if the photos taken are of a mess caused by ones managers son, they are quickly forgotten about. If they are taken further up the line and the managers boss plays golf with the manager, and they drink together, you are the one who becomes the problem and seen as the troublemaker, it's all wrong!

Does anyone else find that many NT people seem to think it's ok to do half a job, (the cream), and leave the rest to the Aspie? The reason being apparently, Aspies 'enjoy the challenge', 'they are good with the fiddly stuff', 'they will spot the mistakes quickly' etc etc!

I'm on a real downer at work because I usually work on my own, but recently I've had to work with others. When I do my work I plan it in my head, do it, leave it complete and my workplace clean and tidy. I would never expect anyone else to have to tidy any loose ends behind me, it would bother me if that was the case. Why can't people be methodical, thorough, have pride in undertaking and completing a job without leaving the crap to someone else? I don't understand how you can feel that doing that is ok, it's just not right!

I'm finding it very upsetting and depressing and it's making me anxious. It feels like recently people think I'm only good for cleaning up their mess and doing what they can't be bothered to do. Sometimes I wish I could be like that, but it would be on my mind in the evening and weekends if I didn't do things properly. It would have an effect on my mood, sleeping, and digestion.

That happens everywhere. There are slackers and there are people who have honor. Complain to your boss and leave the Aspie stuff out it it.

New Threads

Top Bottom