• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

onlything

V.I.P Member
Just had another session with a new tutor where every student presented some parts of their project to receive feedback on environmental analysis. I knew what I wanted to talk about and, although I don't really enjoy repeating myself to new people, I have presented my design in a manner that I consider if not charismatic, then close to, allowing people to see what I'm talking about without details considered widely 'unnecessary'. Maybe I have taken too long anyway, hard to say, but the person after me has spoken in the same exact tone and in similar time. Feedback I received was 'Well, that sounds interesting' and that was it. Every other person received questions and suggestions to improve but me. It's like the tutor didn't understand what I was talking about and just dissmissed it or found it boring.

My question is: do you know how to talk publicly to receive some constructive feedback? Otherwise, what is the point of repeating yourself? I know what I'm talking about, I know my design and project and just repeating to receive no further instruction is rather frustrating... especially when typical NTs do receive it without a problem and without asking even?

I have was informed in the past by my friend that I uncounsciously tend to glare at people as if I dared them to speak ill of me or my designs. I thought I have resolved this problem when I started seeing it as a potential improvement and instruction but is it possible that I started doing it again?

If not, what's the reason for this lack of feedback and/or dissmisal?

Any thoughts are welcome.

I have was informed in the past by my friend that I unconsciously tend to glare at people as if I dared them to speak ill of me or my designs. I thought I have resolved this problem when I started seeing it as a potential improvement and instruction but is it possible that I started doing it again?

If not, what's the reason for this lack of feedback and/or dismissal?

Any thoughts are welcome.

The good news: It sounds like you may have found precisely what the issue at stake really is.

The bad news: People may be quite reticent to engage you in much of any form of feedback based on their first impressions. Given a friend went to the trouble of telling you to your face, it probably really did seem problematic to those particular people.

I suppose the next course of action would be how to go about changing their minds, if that is possible. Which could involve some demonstration of contrition on your part to get the feedback you need.

Last edited:
Is this for a grade? If so, then is the public presentation part of the grade? If that is the case, then try using the tutoring session as an opportunity to practice the full, unedited, presentation. If you withheld some elements of it when you presented to the tutor, then you may not have given that person enough of it to be able to provide you with meaningful feedback.

Sorry, not an NT here ( at least, I do not think so, but am undiagnosed, soooo). :rolleyes: But have been surrounding by them and so I can answer that the "well, that is interesting" is actually saying that, it is not interesting, but being polite and I know this, because NT's always say it and well, so do aspies, when they understand and appreciate that deplomacy is a must in most areas.

What do you mean by "repeating information"? Have your classmates heard your presentation before?

Yes. Sometimes our studio meets tutors from different uiversities to contact and get additional feedback, especially concerning new modules. My classmates do know my project, just like I do know theirs so it was mostly group tutorial with inidividual presentations and feedback.

The good news: It sounds like you may have found precisely what the issue at stake really is.

The bad news: People may be quite reticent to engage you in much of any form of feedback based on their first impressions. Given a friend went to the trouble of telling you to your face, it probably really did seem problematic to those particular people.

I suppose the next course of action would be how to go about changing their minds, if that is possible. Which could involve some demonstration of contrition on your part to get the feedback you need.

I wondered if it was the reason since I stopped doing it years ago. It was a defence mechanism I used to implement after some unpleasant event in school due to some teachers. If it is the reason, then with the connection with everything else it means that I regressed rather badly and it's definitely not a good possibility.

Well, I feel like understanding the point of the presentations would help you make better ones. That way you feel like you're getting something out of it.

Most classes do presentations so people can practice public speaking. That and to practice asking questions and give feedback. So, yes, they know you're idea, but that's not the point. The point is gaining experience pitching your idea in front of others.

Maybe just ask the tutor how he felt the presentation went? Then ask why no one gave you feedback.

I wondered if it was the reason since I stopped doing it years ago. It was a defence mechanism I used to implement after some unpleasant event in school due to some teachers. If it is the reason, then with the connection with everything else it means that I regressed rather badly and it's definitely not a good possibility.

More good and bad news: First impressions for some can last a lifetime.

Which can be a blessing- or a curse.

Last edited:
Well, I feel like understanding the point of the presentations would help you make better ones. That way you feel like you're getting something out of it.

Most classes do presentations so people can practice public speaking. That and to practice asking questions and give feedback. So, yes, they know you're idea, but that's not the point. The point is gaining experience pitching your idea in front of others.

Maybe just ask the tutor how he felt the presentation went? Then ask why no one gave you feedback.

I agree with this.

New Threads

Top Bottom