• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Not doing well at my current job.

Just a thought:

The job is not a good fit. It's stressful due to the calling, which triggers anxiety?
You are qualified for monthly SSDI, due to what they view as a disability.
There should be SSDI programs that offer training for something that takes that your disability into account, and usually require that you qualify by having been approved for SSDI. Work that takes your unique requirements into account.

I wonder what programs are available in your area. Could it be that you may, in seeking that out, find a better fit where you will be happier with your employment?

Good thinking. Being a NEET again will be a horrible idea for me, who is also a recovering addict. I need to figure out a better job fit.

No, this guy is very much a real friend. He does not want me to return to the days I lived a decade ago, where I was a hermit who lived off bourbon and Top Ramen and rarely ever left the house. I would be lying it I said he had no reason to be concerned about that in my case.
My two cents, which can't buy you anything: Do what you need to do that is best for your health - quit the job if it is too stressful (mine is, I also have to enter a lot of tense, confrontational situations, and it grinds away at me, and I am hoping to quit) - but don't be a hermit living off of bourbon and ramen. Find some kind of structuring schedule/goal/projoects, even just at home - and think about what is good for you, not what looks good to your friend. A lot of people would look down their noses at my current job, and also my Aspie interests and tendencies in general. They would really look down on the idea of me quitting my job....and so I have worn myself out trying to keep up appearances, to have some kind of "respectable" work, but it has taken too much of a toll on my health. I need an out.

My two cents, which can't buy you anything: Do what you need to do that is best for your health - quit the job if it is too stressful (mine is, I also have to enter a lot of tense, confrontational situations, and it grinds away at me, and I am hoping to quit) - but don't be a hermit living off of bourbon and ramen. Find some kind of structuring schedule/goal/projoects, even just at home - and think about what is good for you, not what looks good to your friend. A lot of people would look down their noses at my current job, and also my Aspie interests and tendencies in general. They would really look down on the idea of me quitting my job....and so I have worn myself out trying to keep up appearances, to have some kind of "respectable" work, but it has taken too much of a toll on my health. I need an out.

I think I will keep the job for now, but spend more of my free time seeking out employment that is a better match for my set of skills than making cold calls all of the time. My friend is worried because there were times in the past where I have pretty much just given up on life in general. He does not object to me leaving the job - he objects to the idea of me not having anything to replace it in place before I leave the job, and he knows I am a struggling addict who will most likely have a massive relapse if I do not tread carefully now. He does not want to be around to see me self-destruct, and I can’t say I blame him for that.

He sounds like a good friend. Do you have a clear list of your strengths and what you are good at? Bullet points on that would be helpful, to focus on what you will fit better because of what you are particularly good at. You are a lively and sophisticated writer, with a great sense of humour, for example.

I think I will keep the job for now, but spend more of my free time seeking out employment that is a better match for my set of skills than making cold calls all of the time. My friend is worried because there were times in the past where I have pretty much just given up on life in general. He does not object to me leaving the job - he objects to the idea of me not having anything to replace it in place before I leave the job, and he knows I am a struggling addict who will most likely have a massive relapse if I do not tread carefully now. He does not want to be around to see me self-destruct, and I can’t say I blame him for that.

Plus we want to see you make it thru. A lot of people hate their jobs, and we don't know how much we hated it until we move on. My last position was wrong for so many reasons but the hourly and experience, and confidence l gained made it barely pass.

Hoping you can transition to a better job. Pounding the pavement for a new one is hard but you are hungry enough that maybe it's the right time to look.

I think I will keep the job for now, but spend more of my free time seeking out employment that is a better match for my set of skills than making cold calls all of the time.

Good plan. And, in addition to that also check out what is available through SSDI source programs. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Plus we want to see you make it thru. A lot of people hate their jobs, and we don't know how much we hated it until we move on. My last position was wrong for so many reasons but the hourly and experience, and confidence l gained made it barely pass.

Hoping you can transition to a better job. Pounding the pavement for a new one is hard but you are hungry enough that maybe it's the right time to look.

I think I am hungry enough for a different job, since the cold calls are a horrible match for me. I won’t jump from this into friggin’ fast food or retail, either. I am good with data entry, I have experience with manufacturing, anything between myself and a machine is ideal frankly. I also don’t mind manual labor as long as it does not involve tons of social interaction.

Results of two online search hits:

1) What is a Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) Agency, and how can it help me?
Each state has a Vocational Rehabilitation (Voc Rehab or VR) agency that provides employment service supports to people with disabilities (including autism). VR is paid for by the federal and state government, and you might be eligible if you apply. It is available in every state to help people with disabilities prepare for and obtain jobs. In big cities there may be several VR offices, whereas in rural areas there may only be one office that serves many counties.

Find your state vocational Rehabilitation (VR) Agency here: https://www.csavr.org/stateagencydirectory

2) Job Seekers, Students & Employees | Autism Speaks

Depending on your location and the legal situation, you could consider declaring your autism to the company and apply for altered duties as a reasonable adjustment.

This is very similar to my situation at the moment. My discovery of my neurodiversity came about because I nearly had a breakdown making outbound calls as part of my new job.

I’m in the UK and protected by equality law. By law, they have to make reasonable adjustments to your role - which can include moving you to a different job or adjusting your responsibilities to meet your needs.

At the very least, it’ll give you time to find an alternative role.

Though maybe I would botch that, too - if people didn’t react well to me anyway.

I thought I could handle that kind of thing and went and got a job helping vulnerable people. I am great at it.

… but the masking required to be that great at it is just so, so exhausting.

I don’t know if my experience is representative. It’s just that I learned how to mask and communicate as if I were doing bomb disposal training or something. Then, when it really matters, I do so well at it… but there are no different settings, because not being 100% perfect at it could literally harm people. So, yeah… add the consequence and I nearly had a breakdown from the pressure and the exhaustion.

Lucky I got a new job!

I have decided to start looking for a better job match. I was a lot happier when I was working as a dishwasher, and there’s a lot of work like that to be found within walking distance of my house, so I will get a new food handler’s card next week and start there.

I thought I could handle that kind of thing and went and got a job helping vulnerable people. I am great at it.

… but the masking required to be that great at it is just so, so exhausting.

I don’t know if my experience is representative. It’s just that I learned how to mask and communicate as if I were doing bomb disposal training or something. Then, when it really matters, I do so well at it… but there are no different settings, because not being 100% perfect at it could literally harm people. So, yeah… add the consequence and I nearly had a breakdown from the pressure and the exhaustion.

Lucky I got a new job!
Yes - my current job, the consequences can be huge for getting things wrong - and that is a big invisible part of what is causing such pressure, exhaustion, and feeling to the point of breakdown - with serious health problems mounting, too. The masking takes a lot of energy, and since I can't keep it up every second, it impacts my work relationships in a way I would it rather not.....but at the same time, I am glad for how much I have gained in terms of strength for certain weak "muscles"....but now I have worked them to near exhaustion, and I am just counting down the days until I can, hopefully, quit. I literally have a countdown journal that I rant about my job in when needed, or try to organize my strategies to stay afloat. But for quite a while now, the pages are just blank - because I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, so I just get on with the rest of my activities and try my best.

A really good job I once had as an aspie was doing over the phone political surveys. You just ask questions. You don't have to sell anything, and if people hang up, you go to the next person.

I also once had a job at a call center that reminded important businessmen of their appointments. Among other random businesspeople, the highlights are that I have called the assistants of Rick Ruben, Hugh Hefner, and Donald Trump. I actually got to talk for like twenty seconds to Hugh Hefner. He seemed really congenial and kind, happy to be reminded of his meeting. This was twenty years ago, I don't know if they still have companies that do that, but it was a pretty neat job.

I got both these above jobs through a temp agency. Maybe consider applying to a temp agency?

Also, maybe you could get a job doing over the phone tech support. Those companies train you in everything, and you just get incoming calls about peoples' hard drives and stuff.

In Portland we have a company called "Stream" where a lot of people work in tech support. I've never worked there, but I know of many who have.

Last edited:
No, this guy is very much a real friend. He does not want me to return to the days I lived a decade ago, where I was a hermit who lived off bourbon and Top Ramen and rarely ever left the house. I would be lying it I said he had no reason to be concerned about that in my case.
I understand your friend wishing the best for you but ending your friendship when you're struggling seems counterproductive. I haven't had many friends but the one thing I've always craved is someone who isn't afraid of my "darkness." When friends pressured me to "be happy" or to "get over it," I'd just become even more stressed. It's good to have someone help you keep perspective but he's using an external motivator (potential loss of friendship) and this doesn't seem helpful.

That said, I agree with those who say the job may not be a good fit. I had a similar position and it didn't last very long. I hate making cold calls. Until you are ready/able/forced to leave, maybe setting small goals would help (ex. Make 5 calls and then take a break)

I have decided to try to keep this job until I land something else, as I do not want to leave on the worst possible terms and have that spoil my employment history.

I also have requested that my boss work with me on writing a script for the cold calls, as just winging it as I have been has not been working out all that well for me. She has agreed to help with that. I am only one of six employees at this office, so if I leave, it would really hurt everybody else here until I am replaced, so I kinda feel a sense of loyalty towards the people here.

New Threads

Top Bottom