• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Not doing well at my current job.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
My boss sat me down this morning and told me she was putting my employment on probation and decreased hours for three months, as she thought my employment with this company was a bad fit for me due to my poor performance in making outreach calls, which is a high anxiety activity for me.

I am seriously tempted to just turn in my resignation and become a NEET, but the only thing holding me back from doing that is my closest RL friend telling me that he would have to sever ties with me if I did choose to take that route.

I think I am going to look at other job options in my general area instead. This job has too many cold calls involved for my general well being.

NEET = Not in Employment, Education or Training.

Basically a nicer way of saying "slacker".

You need to get that idea out of your head. When you stop living you start dying.

Cold calling is a terrible activity for folks like us. It's no job for you. You can find something that works.

well, it's like your jawb is driving you to drink, you're not happy in it, so what do you need to do to retrain and find a jawb you don't hate?

Have you had previous jobs you enjoyed more? I've done all sorts over the years, some I loved, not always the high earning ones, others were just about tolerable. Others I left, but rarely without another job to go to. It scared me to do that, poverty and powerlessness around the corner. But could you train for something you'd enjoy?

Have you had previous jobs you enjoyed more? I've done all sorts over the years, some I loved, not always the high earning ones, others were just about tolerable. Others I left, but rarely without another job to go to. It scared me to do that, poverty and powerlessness around the corner. But could you train for something you'd enjoy?

I liked the jobs when it was just between myself and a machine, but those kinds of jobs are dying in my country due to one of our major political parties supporting outsourcing that kind of work to other countries to save billionaires some money.

Try to find a better suited job for you. If you can't find a good job(a job that has to do with your knowledge or degree, not so stressful , not bad paid) during the next 2 or 3 months, try to find a job,which is better in one important area for you.

I am currently doing my second Bachelor degree and i was trying to find a job with the current degree. I did not find. So i tried to find a job not so stressful for me. The job was a summer job, apparently it is a stressful work enviroment working in a hotel full with people , so i left from there. I found an another job, which is again a summer job ,so it is again stressful but not so much. I will try to find from September a whole year round job, hoping to be a better fit for me.

Good luck! :)

I held a career for many years that continued to evolve more towards the direction of customer service. :mad:

Eventually I had to leave. Just couldn't stand the job any more, and I knew the corporate end of the business was going to sell us anyways. I left, got all my vacation pay and a eligibility for a pension I know receive. Made enough to go back to school and learn something very different, even at the age of 40.

Leaving was the best thing I could do.

I held a career for many years that continued to evolve more towards the direction of customer service. :mad:

Eventually I had to leave. Just couldn't stand the job any more, and I knew the corporate end of the business was going to sell us anyways. I left, got all my vacation pay and a eligibility for a pension I know receive. Made enough to go back to school and learn something very different, even at the age of 40.

Leaving was the best thing I could do.

In my current situation, if I left my job and made some sacrifices, I could very well live off my monthly SSDI checks alone. I only work PT.

But apparently transforming myself into a NEET and dedicating my life to my writing is a horrible idea.

Hope you can find something that's a better fit for you, and that uses your strengths. And if you leave, do so with a plan, I don't see why dedication to your writing would be a bad plan, but it would require self discipline. It's a possible option?

In my current situation, if I left my job and made some sacrifices, I could very well live off my monthly SSDI checks alone. I only work PT.

But apparently transforming myself into a NEET and dedicating my life to my writing is a horrible idea.

At least it sounds like you have a little breathing room to start a new career, whatever it may be. Hope it all works out for you. A critical consideration when so many people suddenly unemployed have no "plan b".

But man, I wish no one to endure a toxic job for years on end. Yet many of us do just that. :oops:

When I lost my job in the past years ago my go to was to increase my education in my area of expertise. blew possible competitors out of water.

I am seriously tempted to just turn in my resignation and become a NEET, but the only thing holding me back from doing that is my closest RL friend telling me that he would have to sever ties with me if I did choose to take that route.

Ummm.. maybe I'm missing some information but if your friends issue with you leaving your job is simply because you'll be unemployed and viewed as a "slacker" they are a problematic and ignorant person that places too much value on silly societal expectations. If this job does not work for you and is causing you stress, there is no shame in choosing what is beneficial to your mental health.

People who dictate terms and conditions of friendship are not your friend. PERIOD.

Last edited:
You have come so far. But sadly nobody cuts us slack in the world. Don't beat yourself up. Take stock of yourself and decide your next move like the new improved version of you. Try not to fall backwards no matter how tempting those bad habits are calling because you will only end up hating yourself more. Try to do one thing every day to get to a better place. I got faith in you.

People who dictate terms and conditions of friendship are not your friend. PERIOD.

No, this guy is very much a real friend. He does not want me to return to the days I lived a decade ago, where I was a hermit who lived off bourbon and Top Ramen and rarely ever left the house. I would be lying it I said he had no reason to be concerned about that in my case.

Just a thought:

The job is not a good fit. It's stressful due to the calling, which triggers anxiety?
You are qualified for monthly SSDI, due to what they view as a disability.
There should be SSDI programs that offer training for something that takes that your disability into account, and usually require that you qualify by having been approved for SSDI. Work that takes your unique requirements into account.

I wonder what programs are available in your area. Could it be that you may, in seeking that out, find a better fit where you will be happier with your employment?

New Threads

Top Bottom