• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Nostalgic over Beanie Babies

Coupe

I have realized that lately I've become nostalgic about Beanie Babies...the ones I grew up with as a kid in the 90s and 2000s. As I've said probably more than once at this point, the newer "Beanie Boos" are kinda cute - I have a few of the more realistic and fuzzy ones, in fact. :) But I miss the way Beanie Babies used to be designed - when they were all floppy with mostly plastic beans rather than stuffing, when they were softer and their designs were more simplistic in a charming way.

My first Beanie Babies, as I recall, were actually Teenie Beanie Babies from McDonalds. They were a lizard named Lizzy and a lamb named Chops, but I can't remember which of the two I got first. I loved them right away, and I remember stimming with Lizzy a lot after I got her. I really got into Beanie Babies a couple of years later when I was about six. I was especially fond of the dog ones, like Nanook, Dobie, Red Rover, Tracker and Luke. When I wanted to watch TV, I would place throw pillows in front of the TV and line my favorite BBs up along them so they could watch too. Sometimes they even watched me have a bath. :sweatsmile:

The fact that other collectors (even kids my age) were absorbed in buying as many BBs as they could just to sell them for a higher profit sometime in the future largely escaped my notice as a kid, and I wouldn't have understood the concept even if I was aware of it. The first thing I did as soon as I got a Beanie Baby was remove the heart-shaped tag, for sensory reasons and because it seemed to me that it must have hurt the poor things to have tags attached. My Beanie Babies were as "real" to me as anything, and I simply couldn't imagine selling them to strangers.

Even as an adult, I still love Beanie Babies and stuffed animals in general - especially Disney Tsum Tsums, which kind of remind me of Beanie Babies, in a way. Lately I've been trawling Ebay for BBs I remember having as a kid. It's like welcoming old friends home. :relieved: The funny thing, though, is that my very favorite, most loved bean bag plush that I've had longer than the others, has been one of my main comfort items/stim toys for years, and would be devastated to lose.....isn't even a real, honest-to-goodness Beanie Baby. It's a dolphin bean bag made by an obscure toy company called Imperial Toy Corp. :blush:

....So, now that I've waxed poetic about how attached I've always been to my little bean-filled friends, has anyone else ever been really interested in/attached to Beanie Babies? Was there a particular kind of animal you liked, or did you have favorites? Were there ones that you took everywhere with you? :smiley:

That was the ONE 90's fad I fell for. I also thought it was kinda mean to keep their tags attached. But I felt that way about stuffed animals in general. I even had that Princess Dianna bear.

That was the ONE 90's fad I fell for. I also thought it was kinda mean to keep their tags attached. But I felt that way about stuffed animals in general. I even had that Princess Dianna bear.

Cool, I have a Princess bear as well! I found mine at a church yard sale about 10 years ago. She was pretty worn out when I got her (her fur was all "nubby" in the way BB fur gets after years of play), but to me that just says that she was well-loved the way plushies are supposed to be. :blush:

Cool, I have a Princess bear as well! I found mine at a church yard sale about 10 years ago. She was pretty worn out when I got her (her fur was all "nubby" in the way BB fur gets after years of play), but to me that just says that she was well-loved the way plushies are supposed to be. :blush:

I never played with my princess bear. She stayed in a plastic case. But then my brother paid $200 for her. I was hoping she would have been worth more in years to come but that didn't work out for Beanie Babies.

I used to love Teenie Beanie Boppers. I had three of them I played with all the time. One of them was named Trendy Tracy, found her on Google and she looked like this:
trendy-tracy-322.jpg

I used to have a couple of Beanie Babies back in the 90s. My favorite was Regal, the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, because their birthday was the same as mine. I called mine "Sarie" and pretended that she was best friends with a homicidal triceratops named Tiffany. (Tiffany was a plastic bath toy)

I never understood the Beanie Baby craze. I think one of the reasons they didn't want you to remove the tags was because they had some kind of subliminal mind-control device that made people "love" them.:grinning:

I had a ginger tabby cat beanie baby. I called her snowflake but I know that wasn't the name on her label. She was the most well loved Teddy ever. She was scruffy and gross looking because I used to take her in the bath with me. I built a special contraption so I could drag her along behind me. She stank of stale milk because I used to pretend to feed her real milk. I was so emotionally attached to this beanie baby. I had other Teddy cats even other beanie baby cats but snowflake was special. I lost her at the Trafford centre when we went Christmas shopping one year and I was heartbroken. My best friend bought me a replacement but it was never the same it didn't smell or feel the same and the hyperfixation was lost.

New Threads

Top Bottom