• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Normal developement - aspie; late developement - autie

I developed normally. Speaking and walking beginning at age 2.

However, into late childhood and adolescence I think more differences could be noted. It was during the high school years that a disparity appeared between my abilities. I was ahead of the game intellectually, but emotionally and socially behind several years.

I may have been fantastic at maths, but I could not understand the emotional complexities of friendships and thus had no friends. Childhood friendships are easy because both children have common goals or are in school together. So you talk about school. Or the things you like to do. Simple. But later, when kids are becoming adults and learning how to weave in and out of relationships (both romantic and platonic) everything takes a foggy emotional spin and I was left in the dust, so to speak, with no blinking idea what was going on.

Keep in mind DSM are guidelines not written in stone there is no fixed dates for any of the appearance of the symptoms as things are not always recognized or not as pronounced. A guide diagnostician will not stick to rigid parameters, if your Dr is I think my advice would be get a second opinion, although it changes nothing but some folks need the definitive label just to deal with family members alone.

I am losing my mind. I see I already posted but I have no recall in doing so. So yes, I was delayed in one way, but not others. Reading Aristotle at 15 but playing with teddy bears!

New Threads

Top Bottom