• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Normal developement - aspie; late developement - autie

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
One thing that has been plaguing me is that I am a late developer and so, every time I read something about aspergers, I see that in actual fact, I would be considered as not having aspergers, because I learned to crawl at 2 and learned to read at 9. However, as I use my long memory, I detect that it was invironmental issues ie bad parenting that caused this apparent late developement. Like when I finally grasp something, I get very good at it and jump ahead of everyone else.

My husband then says: no, it is because you get obsessed with something and thus, why you are then very good at it.

So, my question is this: has any official aspie been a late developer?

Oh and although the title does include auties; I know I have got classic autism.

Yes. I didn't learn to speak until I was four. But I caught up in due time. By 5-6 I was using some adult words correctly in sentences.

My psychiatrist said that people can move along the spectrum as they progress as they don't have as much need for extra help in development. The internet would tell you otherwise, that it's based on your history growing up but I don't think it takes into account what I mentioned above; a people who previously couldn't talk at all at 9 would be classified as severely autistic but if they learn and catch up then they might not necessarily meet that criteria. There's also people who were diagnosed as clearly having Asperger's syndrome when they were a child but have caught up so well through the teenage years that by adulthood you wouldn't suspect them being on the autistic spectrum.

Yes. I didn't learn to speak until I was four. But I caught up in due time. By 5-6 I was using some adult words correctly in sentences.

My psychiatrist said that people can move along the spectrum as they progress as they don't have as much need for extra help in development. The internet would tell you otherwise, that it's based on your history growing up but I don't think it takes into account what I mentioned above; a people who previously couldn't talk at all at 9 would be classified as severely autistic but if they learn and catch up then they might not necessarily meet that criteria. There's also people who were diagnosed as clearly having Asperger's syndrome when they were a child but have caught up so well through the teenage years that by adulthood you wouldn't suspect them being on the autistic spectrum.

I wish there was a: thank you button lol

Really appreciate your responding to my thread and for lightening my heart.

I went from not being able to even write my name, mind read simple words, to reading matter that was considered not for a person who just learned to read. I was reading Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie, but a "friend" of the family decided that it was not becoming reading material for a youngster and so, urged me to read romance novels lol and so, got addicted to reading mills and boons ( wow). So everyone thought that I was as quiet as a mouse, but what was happening, was reading naughty things from those books :p

Oh, before I went on to Sherlock Holmes. I am mixing up my age. I loved the famous five serious and other similar books.

I could speak before I learned to read and write; but very little.

Personally I doubt that there's a concise pattern or explanation for such things, regardless of where one is on the spectrum. That we all encounter different obstacles in developing, with some slowing us down while others relatively continue without so many social incidents that can impair us in time.

I certainly displayed some autistic traits and behaviors as a small child, and did not even speak in sentences until I was four as well. Had no problem occupying my time by myself for hours at a time and yet also had little difficulty socially with my peers.

Yet I began to stick out as being different and persecuted by those peers at around nine or ten years of age. Then puberty came and my sensory issues went off the charts. I still managed to keep up with school despite so many problems with socialization and went through four years of college.

So my academic development might be construed as "normal", while my social development might be considered "late". I caught up in one way, yet lagged behind in another. Yet for my so-called relatively "normal" academic development, it didn't aid me to understand that I was on the spectrum in the first place until very late in life. Go figure.

ICD-10 Diagnostic Criteria for Research : F84.5 - Asperger’s Syndrome* | Interactive Autism Network

US Autism & Asperger Association

I know you tend to not agree with most anything I post,but it is VERY important to remember just how subjective the diagnostics are.

Some get diagnosed one way while others get another opinion,all based on what the single or group of clinicians school of thought they follow.

In the USA,using the diagnostics that were underlined during the timeframe of DSM IV,the cutoff for autism vs. AS was five years of age for a normal childhood speaking developmental milestone,with Asperger's winning out over autism if the child started to talk before that time.

ICD-10 Diagnostic Criteria for Research : F84.5 - Asperger’s Syndrome* | Interactive Autism Network

US Autism & Asperger Association

I know you tend to not agree with most anything I post,but it is VERY important to remember just how subjective the diagnostics are.

Some get diagnosed one way while others get another opinion,all based on what the single or group of clinicians school of thought they follow.

In the USA,using the diagnostics that were underlined during the timeframe of DSM IV,the cutoff for autism vs. AS was five years of age for a normal childhood speaking developmental milestone,with Asperger's winning out over autism if the child started to talk before that time.

Good point.

The very different diagnostics protocols themselves skews the entire equation, particularly given that the DSM-V places it all on the same spectrum of autism.

For anyone subsequently diagnosed under that protocol, there is only a distinction of autism and not Aspergers Syndrome at all. Making this entire subject more or less a moot point, let alone not explaining any concise patterns to make substantive conclusions.

As much as we want something substantive and conclusive by medical professionals, it simply isn't there given these conflicting protocols.

This is the type of subjectivity I am talking about.
Gaining coping skills does not make autism go away,it only masks the traits. Learning how to navigate the world around you doesn't negate a difference in brain wiring,it just makes better use of what an individual can do.

As far as the DSM 5 is concerned,many that received aspie assessments in the USA in the past may no longer qualify as the diagnostics are based on deficits present at the time and not how well an individual adapted to their surroundings.

As adults,in nearly any country,autistic support is very limited unless one is profoundly autistic ;)

Last edited:
It makes no sense at all which means they are still in the dark.

Think back the the 1950's. There were about 2 dxes. Depression and schizophrenia.

Think how many people thought they had schizophrenia when they had other illnesses which happened ot a friend of our family.

Now fast forward thirty years. How many of us have troubles they will find later and we look back and say, "I was told I had XYZ and never did."

For me, the dx of autism is just an "updated" dx. That is all I think. It sure beats all the other demeaning dx's but it's not accurate. It means nothing, really.

I want to know: This part of your brain was compromised and this is what caused it and now we know."

Think back the the 1950's. There were about 2 dxes. Depression and schizophrenia.

Think how many people thought they had schizophrenia when they had other illnesses which happened ot a friend of our family.

Now fast forward thirty years. How many of us have troubles they will find later and we look back and say, "I was told I had XYZ and never did."

For me, the dx of autism is just an "updated" dx. That is all I think. It sure beats all the other demeaning dx's but it's not accurate. It means nothing, really.

I want to know: This part of your brain was compromised and this is what caused it and now we know."
Psychology has always been a huge gray area.

As I recall, I didn't speak till I was about 3 (circa 1979), and even then I had to have speech therapy because I spoke with a lisp, couldn't pronounce my S sounds.

One thing that has been plaguing me is that I am a late developer and so, every time I read something about aspergers, I see that in actual fact, I would be considered as not having aspergers, because I learned to crawl at 2 and learned to read at 9. However, as I use my long memory, I detect that it was invironmental issues ie bad parenting that caused this apparent late developement. Like when I finally grasp something, I get very good at it and jump ahead of everyone else.

My husband then says: no, it is because you get obsessed with something and thus, why you are then very good at it.

Oh and although the title does include auties; I know I have got classic autism.
You for one have found out about the subjectivity in France,where they don't even give Asperger's recognition.

I was diagnosed using the criteria the DSM IV. The diagnosis was Asperger's Syndrome (DSM IV 299.80). I wanted to know what the difference between AS and classic autism was and the difference between AS and HFA (High Functioning Autism). I researched using the DSM IV because it was current at that time. (2008)

The difference between AS and classic autism is a impairment during the developmental years in the cognitive and linguistic areas. A person with AS can have some or all of the other autistic symptoms. The IQ of the person being diagnosed must be at least average. If the IQ is below average, the diagnosis will be not be AS. It will more likely be classic autism.

The difference between AS and HFA is similar. A person with HFA probably has classic autism, just much higher on the spectrum and higher IQ than most people with classic autism.

This is just how I understand it and as such, could be wrong.

Precisely. :confused:

With the equation further skewed by the tampering of politicians and insurers concerned primarily with cost factors rather than the advancement of medicine.

I was diagnosed using the criteria the DSM IV. The diagnosis was Asperger's Syndrome (DSM IV 299.80). I wanted to know what the difference between AS and classic autism was and the difference between AS and HFA (High Functioning Autism). I researched using the DSM IV because it was current at that time. (2008)

The difference between AS and classic autism is a impairment during the developmental years in the cognitive and linguistic areas. A person with AS can have some or all of the other autistic symptoms. The IQ of the person being diagnosed must be at least average. If the IQ is below average, the diagnosis will be not be AS. It will more likely be classic autism.

The difference between AS and HFA is similar. A person with HFA probably has classic autism, just much higher on the spectrum and higher IQ than most people with classic autism.

This is just how I understand it and as such, could be wrong.

The deciding factors from Aspie to autie under DSM IV was either in linguistics delays,cognitive delays or both the way I understood it.

You for one have found out about the subjectivity in France,where they don't even give Asperger's recognition.
A French steering wheel...
no3umwk.jpg

I think the French take delight in being difficult and perverse in thought.

All of this is why i am attempting now to use the diagnosis as a tool to help me understand myself as opposed to using it as an identity.

A French steering wheel...
no3umwk.jpg

I think the French take delight in being difficult and perverse in thought.

All of this is why i am attempting now to use the diagnosis as a tool to help me understand myself as opposed to using it as an identity.

That has failure written all over it :D

I didn't learn to talk until almost 5 years old. Couldn't read until almost 10 years old. Everything else was a blur. I don't remember much, but that is a good thing I think. I was late in most things though. But now, I have caught up fairly well. I still have some problems with fine motor and stuff, but I ignore it for the most part.

I was told that it took me a little longer to walk and was just considered "lazy",at age 7 I still couldn't read properly and needed help at school in between classes because I was behind the other kids in my class,I also didn't know how to tie my own shoelaces up around the age of 8 or 9 also my handwriting at the time was very poor.

I could speak from about a year walked the same time
COULDNT tell the time until about 12 everyone are indeed individual in their disorder /disease for example Carrie fisher was sort of typical bipolar and Stephen fry is bipolar light
my mam(mother )had the exact form of motor neurone disease as David niven but she lived 3 years ,he lived 18 months and there are seven different forms of als/mnd

New Threads

Top Bottom