• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Noisy neighborhood!!!

AuBurney Tuckerson

~GigglesTheAutisticHyena~
As much as i hate moving, I can't stand this very loud neighborhood!!! The constant roaring vehicles, the planes flying over the house, neighbor's rumbling trucks! It has caused countless meltdowns to the point that I've torn up the previous blinds! I can't stand it anymore!!! I wanna move?, but i life with my mother, and I'm still going to college. I feel so attacked in my own home! The noises are even getting loud enough to go right through my earbuds! And it's every. Five Minutes! It don't leave me alone! What's worse is my mother confronting me about "hitting stuff" and telling me that's not gonna stop the noise, but I CAN'T HELP IT! Either we move, or I'm gonna be stuck fighting and fighting until I burn out one day. It's horrible. I can't live like this. I used to have thoughts of just bursting my eardrums, so I would finally be put out of my misery, and those thoughts never left completely because what if something happens to the earbuds??? Then I would be plunged right back into the life of agony! Rubbing in the fact and confronting me about the damage isn't helping at all, either! It's only pushing me closer to losing my mind! But that's all my mother does. She just confronts me about it. If she wants me not meltdown over these loud vehicles and other noises outside, then we're gonna have to move. As long as I'm in pain and feeling attacked, I'm gonna fight back. It's too much to be tortured all day in classes and then come home to be tortured by these stupid neighbors and airbase outside! We don't even have time or any money to move.. I'm stuck in the torture ground! Someone just put me out of my misery..

Last edited:
I too have suffered from unwanted and intrusive sounds my entire adult life. It's forced me to deal with paying very high rents relative to living in a relatively quiet place, though it's far from perfect. Knowing that change with just a single tenant nearby can disrupt or even ruin the equation. :eek:

It really hit me the other day when I realized I had to reduce the bass substantially on my car's powerful audio system. Where extremely low notes can at times be more irritating than those in much higher ranges. I even found myself editing music with one source that had extremely low notes, trying to reduce their impact with a graphic equalizer. Ugh...:oops:

A couple of things:

Dont use earbuds. They really arent very good devices. When trying them myself, my first thought is always something along the lines of "what idiot designed these?". Cant imagine why the hell anyone uses those over proper headphones. You want to really block sound? You need noise-cancelling headphones. Well, headphones in a general sense will reduce incoming sound since they are A: thick/large, and B: cover your ear completely. That thickness is the main trait that makes them more effective, and it's what earbuds lack. But noise-cancel headphones are very specifically designed to basically stop exactly the thing that is driving you mad. So that you then only hear whatever music or whatever is coming through the headphones.

Second: Try a noise machine. Yes, this sounds counter-intuitive. But it works. I use one myself, so I can sleep at night. My room in my house is idiotically located on the main floor (unlike every other bedroom), and on the other side of the wall is the big TV and all the speakers that go with it. Also, we have a very active dog who is super loud when he starts barking. As I'm sometimes trying to sleep during the day, well, that is a bad formula. But I use my iPad as a noise machine. I set it to produce a constant waterfall roar, put it as loud as I can, and it completely overrides any other incoming sounds. I cant hear anything from outside my room while that thing is on. The only exception would be if the dog starts barking right next to my door, but he never really does that. That constant static sound, often called "white noise" is muuuuuuuch easier on the senses than random noises. Random noises interrupt your thought processes and such and drive you crazy. White noise produces a relaxing effect instead. Even when it's loud.

What I'm getting at here is that there ARE potential solutions. There's more than only these that I've listed. But you have to research them and actually try them out. If they dont work? Keep looking.

I've noticed that alot of us on the spectrum have this tendency to simply give up REALLY fast, and then say that there simply arent any solutions. While ignoring all the potential ones out there. Do that though, and you're *guaranteed* to be stuck with whatever problem is bugging you. So... yeah. Dont give up and keep giving new ideas a try. Heck, there's places on the internet where you can go to discuss this very topic with people that know about it. That's a great way to start.

Actually earbuds used in conjunction with ear protectors block a great deal of sound out. And not at a cost of $300 or more for the best noise-cancelling headphones which in most cases tend to be somewhat fragile. This method won't neutralize unwanted sounds, but it can diminish them to a point where they can be tolerated.

I've used ambient sound generation (rainfall) for years to help get to sleep, though I'm now beginning to wonder if it may be the source of my tinnitus.

Actually earbuds used in conjunction with ear protectors block a great deal of sound out. And not at a cost of $300 or more for the best noise-cancelling headphones which in most cases tend to be somewhat fragile. This method won't neutralize unwanted sounds, but it can diminish them to a point where they can be tolerated.

I've used ambient sound generation (rainfall) for years to help get to sleep, though I'm now beginning to wonder if it may be the source of my tinnitus.

I'm guessing ear protectors are something different from headphones?

I've heard of the things but I've never seen them.

I'm guessing ear protectors are something different from headphones?

I've heard of the things but I've never seen them.

Gotta have something to cover your ears when you go to a firing range.

Ear protectors are simply tight-fitting supra-aural covers for your ears without the benefit of electronics. And they cost a fraction of what high quality noise-cancelling headphones go for. Slip on some intra-aural earbuds, then put on ear protectors over them and voila.The higher the noise reduction rating in DB, the better.

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Reducti...rs-Resistant/dp/B07MR3FFY1/ref=dp_ob_image_hi

A couple of things:

Dont use earbuds. They really arent very good devices. When trying them myself, my first thought is always something along the lines of "what idiot designed these?". Cant imagine why the hell anyone uses those over proper headphones. You want to really block sound? You need noise-cancelling headphones. Well, headphones in a general sense will reduce incoming sound since they are A: thick/large, and B: cover your ear completely. That thickness is the main trait that makes them more effective, and it's what earbuds lack. But noise-cancel headphones are very specifically designed to basically stop exactly the thing that is driving you mad. So that you then only hear whatever music or whatever is coming through the headphones.

Second: Try a noise machine. Yes, this sounds counter-intuitive. But it works. I use one myself, so I can sleep at night. My room in my house is idiotically located on the main floor (unlike every other bedroom), and on the other side of the wall is the big TV and all the speakers that go with it. Also, we have a very active dog who is super loud when he starts barking. As I'm sometimes trying to sleep during the day, well, that is a bad formula. But I use my iPad as a noise machine. I set it to produce a constant waterfall roar, put it as loud as I can, and it completely overrides any other incoming sounds. I cant hear anything from outside my room while that thing is on. The only exception would be if the dog starts barking right next to my door, but he never really does that. That constant static sound, often called "white noise" is muuuuuuuch easier on the senses than random noises. Random noises interrupt your thought processes and such and drive you crazy. White noise produces a relaxing effect instead. Even when it's loud.

What I'm getting at here is that there ARE potential solutions. There's more than only these that I've listed. But you have to research them and actually try them out. If they dont work? Keep looking.

I've noticed that alot of us on the spectrum have this tendency to simply give up REALLY fast, and then say that there simply arent any solutions. While ignoring all the potential ones out there. Do that though, and you're *guaranteed* to be stuck with whatever problem is bugging you. So... yeah. Dont give up and keep giving new ideas a try. Heck, there's places on the internet where you can go to discuss this very topic with people that know about it. That's a great way to start.
The earbuds I do have are the best I can use.

I. Noise-Cancellind Headphones are a myth (I've tried many of them).

II. I need something to go IN my ears to block our the noises that torture me.

Guys, the ear buds aren't the problem. It's the fact that I can't pause the music to watch TV or a yt video without somebody roaring outside. Everytime, I try to watch a yt video or even take them out to speak with my mother, some ass roars their super loud truck somewhere in the neighborhood or flies their stupid plane directly over the house. I even see the planes. The fact that we're stuck living near an airforce base makes the neighborhood not so peaceful..

As much as i hate moving, I can't stand this very loud neighborhood!!! The constant roaring vehicles, the planes flying over the house, neighbor's rumbling trucks! It has caused countless meltdowns to the point that I've torn up the previous blinds! I can't stand it anymore!!! I wanna move?, but i life with my mother, and I'm still going to college. I feel so attacked in my own home! The noises are even getting loud enough to go right through my earbuds! And it's every. Five Minutes! It don't leave me alone! What's worse is my mother confronting me about "hitting stuff" and telling me that's not gonna stop the noise, but I CAN'T HELP IT! Either we move, or I'm gonna be stuck fighting and fighting until I burn out one day. It's horrible. I can't live like this. I used to have thoughts of just bursting my eardrums, so I would finally be put out of my misery, and those thoughts never left completely because what if something happens to the earbuds??? Then I would be plunged right back into the life of agony! Rubbing in the fact and confronting me about the damage isn't helping at all, either! It's only pushing me closer to losing my mind! But that's all my mother does. She just confronts me about it. If she wants me not meltdown over these loud vehicles and other noises outside, then we're gonna have to move. As long as I'm in pain and feeling attacked, I'm gonna fight back. It's too much to be tortured all day in classes and then come home to be tortured by these stupid neighbors and airbase outside! We don't even have time or any money to move.. I'm stuck in the torture ground! Someone just put me out of my misery..

Dang, I feel so bad for you. I hate noises like that. I almost melted down yesterday (screaming, crying) because I had to endure two minutes of a lawn mower outside my window while I was making coffee. I had to stop what I was doing and flee to the other side of the house.

I think you’re going to have to move. Get a part-time job, use your grant or scholarship money or loan money, and get out of there. Either that or start spending more time away from home. You have to find a way, or you’ll go mad.

Dang, I feel so bad for you. I hate noises like that. I almost melted down yesterday (screaming, crying) because I had to endure two minutes of a lawn mower outside my window while I was making coffee. I had to stop what I was doing and flee to the other side of the house.

I think you’re going to have to move. Get a part-time job, use your grant or scholarship money or loan money, and get out of there. Either that or start spending more time away from home. You have to find a way, or you’ll go mad.
The torture machine called the lawn mower tortures me to tears. If I didn't have my earbuds, I'd end up in another meltdown.

I won't be able to handle a part-time job AND the torture college. My mother already works two jobs, so I have to stay home and watch my brother. I'm already tortured all day, everyday when going to college classes. The weekends are the only breaks I get from that besides sleeping.

I feel for you, I spent many years tuning it out or staying away from noises places. As I have gotten older I have purchased various headsets, such as the mpow fire range headset, but those were tight on my ears. I also purchased a sets of Bose and if you have $150 I would suggest investing in some noise canceling headset. It doesn’t tune everything out, but it helps a ton.

Lest you have to live your life like this:

I wish people understood it is like this for us. I am not being funny or odd or cute when I suddenly cover my ears and squeeze my eyes closed as tight as I can because of some noise.

Something I figured out is that I can put noise-blocking foam earplugs in and headphones over that. If I turn the volume up enough, everything sounds clear but most outside noises are blocked. It is not always comfortable but for desperate situations it can be a rescue.

Last edited:
The JBL Reflect 2 Countour ear buds are the ones that help me block out the noises that torture me. They are the only things keeping me sane. I'm wearing them rn.

I still think you should move out. You’re a young woman (I’m guessing you’re at least 18?)...how long does your mother expect her adult daughter to stay in her house and look after her child? He is not your responsibility. He’s hers. You deserve to live your life and feel at peace in your home. Use student loan money and get out of there before you break. Check Craig’s List for people seeking roommates—it’s cheaper than getting an apartment on your own. Get a part-time job and take fewer classes at school. And as others have mentioned, go to student health services at your college and ask for help. Immediately. The student housing office should also be able to help.

Also, you could move out of the house but go back in the evenings to babysit your brother until your mom returns. Or you can contribute a little money to pay for a babysitter when you aren’t available to do it yourself. Just GET OUT OF THERE. You reply to our suggestions with excuses, which tells me that you feel utterly trapped by your situation. I understand that feeling. But you aren’t trapped. You can change what’s happening to you, but you’ve got to make the effort.

I still think you should move out. You’re a young woman (I’m guessing you’re at least 18?)...how long does your mother expect her adult daughter to stay in her house and look after her child? He is not your responsibility. He’s hers. You deserve to live your life and feel at peace in your home. Use student loan money and get out of there before you break. Check Craig’s List for people seeking roommates—it’s cheaper than getting an apartment on your own. Get a part-time job and take fewer classes at school. And as others have mentioned, go to student health services at your college and ask for help. Immediately. The student housing office should also be able to help.

Also, you could move out of the house but go back in the evenings to babysit your brother until your mom returns. Or you can contribute a little money to pay for a babysitter when you aren’t available to do it yourself. Just GET OUT OF THERE. You reply to our suggestions with excuses, which tells me that you feel utterly trapped by your situation. I understand that feeling. But you aren’t trapped. You can change what’s happening to you, but you’ve got to make the effort.
I'm not ready to move out and get a job, yet. I'm barely able to stay sane dealing with school. The sensory issues I have affect that, too. Besides, I'm just not ready (mentally) to live on my own, yet.

The problem is that by reducing sounds hearing actually gets even more sensitive. This happened to my wife and she really is now struggling with noises. I block unwanted sounds by listening music or playing FPS video games. At night I use earbuds though.

I'm not ready to move out and get a job, yet. I'm barely able to stay sane dealing with school. The sensory issues I have affect that, too. Besides, I'm just not ready (mentally) to live on my own, yet.
Make sure you are not deficient in vitamin b or magnesium and potassium (Also iodine this can make the thyroid gland work incorrectly which causes nervousness) ,these will cause problems with hearing.

The problem is that by reducing sounds hearing actually gets even more sensitive. This happened to my wife and she really is now struggling with noises. I block unwanted sounds by listening music or playing FPS video games. At night I use earbuds though.

I have also had this experience.

Granted, there's never any guarantee over one person's sense of hearing as opposed to another, whether unwanted noise is blocked outright or subject to being electronically neutralized with ambient sound. I'm just emphasizing that there are drastically less expensive alternatives to making for a quieter environment on a temporary basis.

Though if you can afford paying $300 or more for some fragile high-quality noise-cancelling headphones from Bose or Sony, go for it. Just understand that based on customer comments, many of them appear to be easily prone to physical damage particularly when folded, even when done properly in accordance with a manufacturer's specifications.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom