• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Noise cancelling headphones question

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
I have always put up with loud and busy environments, because of not knowing the reason and now that I do, next year, my faith is starting in person conventions and one day assemblies next year and the convention is 3 days worth. My husband suggested I use my descreet headphones and play some of our amazing spiritual music, but after thinking about it, it could be misjudged as inappropriate, due to the occasion, so I figure I should use obvious noise cancelling phones, but I hate silence and so, I need to know if it just lessons sound and a cheap, but affective pair?

https://www.autismforums.com/threads/noise-canceling
Headphones
Noise-cancelling headphones
https://www.autismforums.com/threads/best-ear-plugs-muffs.28941/#post-588342
NEW NOISE-BLOCKING BLUETOOTH EARBUDS!
I can't live like this! But I am doomed...
Earplugs in Public - Safety vs Comfort
Earmuffs
Dealing With Sound Sensitivity
Is there any ways to get less noise sensitive?
loud noises
Sound/noise

My husband suggested I use my descreet headphones and play some of our amazing spiritual music, but after thinking about it, it could be misjudged as inappropriate, due to the occasion

I agree- rethink using earbuds/headphones under such circumstances.

Or risk the wrath of any number potentially judgmental peers ignorant of autism giving you a bad time. Requiring you to explain yourself each time where getting such a point across may prove to be futile. Which might be more painful than all the external and unwanted sound so many of us struggle with at times. But only you can ultimately weigh which may be preferable to you.

Though if you go with such technology, just understand how fragile the connectors can be. Just a slight, innocent tug on them can potentially kill the sound from the left or right connector. Which is the most basic reason for unhappy, return customers. So you have to handle them like "kid gloves".

Last edited:
I am extremely sensitive to certain noises and my hearing is almost as good as my dogs. I have a few noise canceling headphones, but if I am going somewhere potentially loud, I always bring earplugs. In fact I can’t sleep without them.

Please remember that noise canceling headphones are not as good as advertised. I’ve used Bose etc and its more hype than reality. Even with supposedly the best noise canceling headphones, you will still (or at least I do) hear people talking etc.

The earplugs I use can reduce the level of sound by 33db.

The ones below are skin colored and less noticeable.

I would go with the earplugs on this. They're discreet, and I think people are used to seeing enough hearing aid type devices that they won't think twice about something designed to filter out noise. Although, I find they only take the edge off. But that could be a good thing if you're expected to converse with people.

Bose QC45 or QC35. I have a pair for me and my son. It really helps. I also knew another adult aspie that used it. He liked it a lot. Yes expensive but good products.

i bought some galaxy buds that were supposed to have noise cancelling, but it didn't work for me. i have funny shaped ears and some of them just fall out as soon as i move my head. i guess i should try the over ear ones.

New Threads

Top Bottom