• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Nightmares and headaches, headaches and nightmares.

Nightmares occasionally. Dreams can be very vivid. I am one one anti-anxiety med and a few other things for physical issues. One bad part is I sometimes actually move in response to the dream so might lash out with a kick or try and move and fall off the bed. I sleep with a railing on my side of the bed now and my wife is protected by a huge 4 foot thick down comforter thing. So kind of between a wall and a giant marshmellow. But no headaches.

But it's better than dreaming about being chased by aliens or hillbillies. (Well, maybe you'd be chased for other reasons. lol)

Ikr! Thats like going to the Cabin in the Woods when you fall asleep.

Tough call. But you said the headaches have been a constant all your life, so no reason to say it's anything different? You've probably been given reasons in the past? The doc gave my friend migraine tablets to see if they'd dislodge it, she took them a couple of times, they did have some effect.
can you remember the name for the formulation I get headaches around menstruation :)

Cassiopeia's experience has been mine, as well. I am currently re-reading an extremely insightful and helpful book, of which, was recommended to me, by my therapist, titled; The Body Keeps The Score - Brain, Mind and Body in the Healing of Trauma, by Bessel van der Kolk, M.D., of which you might find of value. It has helped me, profoundly. With regard to your inquiry about alternative methods, among other information, the book offers various, natural methods of treatment for symptoms of PTSD and anxiety, including insomnia, recurring nightmares, headaches and other symptoms.

Some other modalities that have benefited me, are, Magnesium, practicing yoga, meditation and immersing myself in nature, as often as possible.

I've tried valerian root and melatonin, of which caused me to experience intense, vivid dreams, and made me quite groggy the following day, but I know a few people who have found significant relief of sleep disruption, as the result of taking these particular, natural remedies.

I hope you find relief, and feel well, soon.

Thanks for your input. I know I do need more exercise and immersing myself into nature is always helpful. I will check out that book as well. Thank you again.

You should give the melatonin a chance. What's one night? This is embarrassing, but melatonin tends to make me have dreams of the sexual nature (which I never have otherwise). But then it makes sense, since it's the pineal gland that makes melatonin and also plays a role in sex drive. But it's better than dreaming about being chased by aliens or hillbillies. (Well, maybe you'd be chased for other reasons. lol)
Anyhow, I do deal with headaches and occasional nightmares. I had nightmares constantly when I was married. They usually go along with struggling with something. Any time I was planning or thinking about going to visit family it seems I always dreamed about snakes. What do you go to bed thinking about?

Headaches - the only thing that helps mine is Excedrin (generic is fine)- Tylenol never touched the headaches - it was like eating a tic tac.

That sounds quite pleasant unless it turns into sexual hillbillies and aliens dreams :p .. I will take melatonin into consideration, it's cheap enough to try and maybe could help my wife with her sleep issues too!

I go to bed usually thinking a variety of things, but usually I'm wiped out and fall asleep early around 8:30 (unless it's a work night). The first nightmares usually hit anywhere from 10:30-12:00. Usually they either last all night or come in waves of 3.

Tylenol usually was the only one that worked for me, but for some reason it doesn't work for these headaches. I'll have to look up the main ingredient in Exedrine and see if I can find myself something similar.

Thanks for your input.

Nightmares occasionally. Dreams can be very vivid. I am one one anti-anxiety med and a few other things for physical issues. One bad part is I sometimes actually move in response to the dream so might lash out with a kick or try and move and fall off the bed. I sleep with a railing on my side of the bed now and my wife is protected by a huge 4 foot thick down comforter thing. So kind of between a wall and a giant marshmellow. But no headaches.

I get them to the point where I'm screaming in my sleep waking everyone up, but when I try to move, I'm usually paralyzed. Maybe from being wrapped up in a blanket. Thanks for your input and I'm glad you at least don't have the headaches too.

can you remember the name for the formulation I get headaches around menstruation :)

Sumatriptan 50mg tablets. They come with strict guidelines for use, and are only for occasional use, I think they can be bad for you!

@Major Tom I strongly suggest you get a sleep study- sounds like you may have sleep apnea and I have to wonder if you do if oxygen deprivation during sleep could be causing your headaches. Sleep apnea is easily treated with a CPAP machine and mask you wear while sleeping. It keeps a positive pressure airway going so you don't stop breathing. You will likely feel much more rested as well if you have sleep apnea and use the CPAP machine regularly. The sleep study is a one night affair and not at all difficult.

@Major Tom I strongly suggest you get a sleep study- sounds like you may have sleep apnea and I have to wonder if you do if oxygen deprivation during sleep could be causing your headaches. Sleep apnea is easily treated with a CPAP machine and mask you wear while sleeping. It keeps a positive pressure airway going so you don't stop breathing. You will likely feel much more rested as well if you have sleep apnea and use the CPAP machine regularly. The sleep study is a one night affair and not at all difficult.

That is one of my strong suspicions too. My wife said that sometimes I stop breathing in my sleep, which is a clear sign of apnea. I will look into it. Thanks!

Since sleep medications are along with the topic here, let me pass along that all these p.m. meds have diphenhydramine, which is Benadryl and anyone over 50 should avoid Benadryl. Reason is that it's a histamine which dries you out and as you get older you are more easily dehydrated because you don't have the amount of water in your body that you used to. Just an FYI.

... but when I try to move, I'm usually paralyzed. Maybe from being wrapped up in a blanket.

I get that too, often. Sometimes its me attempting to break out of the paralysis - and then suddenly succeeding with a violent jerk - that sees me launch into space and then hit the floor. :D

Now that I think about it I have gotten headaches from hitting the nightstand and floor with my head. But they don't last.

And thank you. I rarely have nightmares right now, just had a very wrecked up sleeping behaviour, like falling asleep nicely, but waking up in the middle of the night and being unable to sleep for 2 or 3 hours. If you should test Melatonin please tell me how you like it. It's something I'd like to try but I always chicken out about stuff I don't know. Also I didn't deal well with Valerian, I've tried it but got headaches and dizzyness from it.

I've been using Melatonin for about the last six months with no side effects I'm aware of. Though as an "over-the-counter" medicine, it's subtle. Not to be confused with any sedative. It just relaxes me enough to produce a better overall sleeping pattern. I don't wake up at night so often as I used to. And 30 tablets for $1 is a bargain. I'm still only taking one 3mg tablet per night.

New Threads

Top Bottom