• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Nightmares and headaches, headaches and nightmares.

Major Tom

Searching for ground control...
V.I.P Member
Hey everyone.

Lately I've been suffering from terrible nightmares, followed by killer headaches the next day. I live a very stressful and somewhat lonesome life so maybe that's why, or contrarily I take quite a few meds, so maybe that could be the cause. (Abilify, Concerta, Valium occasionally and Bromazepam also occasionally.)

Last night, I dreamed a not so unpleasant dream that I was like some kind of modern day Robin Hood. Stealing from the rich and helping the poor or the unwell. That wasn't too bad.

The night before that I dreamed of being chased by aliens for the whole night. Then I woke up with a terrible headache that lasted all day. I took 9 Tylenol and nothing helped until I finally broke down and took two 80mg Loxinin. Really bad for the liver I know.

Usually though, I have nightmares of murderous hillbillies kind of like "Deliverance" the movie or book. Chasing me around trying to kill me or who knows what..

This all started around a month an a half ago. Usually I don't remember my dreams at all, other than perhaps the ones you have when you are just sliding into R.E.M. sleep and then wake up for whatever reason.

I was wondering if anyone else suffers from nightmares or headaches that last all day or all night? If so what was the cause and what did/do you do to combat them?

I'd prefer some natural remedy or something like that. Back in the days when I could smoke a joint before bed, this never happened. The nightmares. The headaches have been a constant throughout my life. I also have some wicked tinnitus that if I think about too much, drives me nuts as well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'd just about kill for a dreamless night(or a night with pleasant dreams) and a day without headaches. I've heard mixed reviews about melatonin. Some say it helps them sleep greatly, others said it actually induces nightmares for them, so I'm on the fence about that.

I think in my case, a lot of my dreams could be PTSD related, but I've never been diagnosed with PTSD. So I can't say for sure.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions you have will be considered.

Sorry to hear about this, it sounds difficult. My friend had similar headaches recently, but it was after coming off a sedative. It went on for 2 or 3 months, then gradually abated. Have you seen the doctor so they can perhaps help?

One thought relating to PTSD is that when we are traumatised, processing is blocked, at the time, due to the magnitude of events. So the Troubled dreams could be a form of delayed processing getting underway, which would actually be a healthy sign, though feels disturbing.

Sorry to hear about this, it sounds difficult. My friend had similar headaches recently, but it was after coming off a sedative. It went on for 2 or 3 months, then gradually abated. Have you seen the doctor so they can perhaps help?

One thought relating to PTSD is that when we are traumatised, processing is blocked, at the time, due to the magnitude of events. So the Troubled dreams could be a form of delayed processing getting underway, which would actually be a healthy sign, though feels disturbing.

I have seen the doc (psychiatrist) since the nightmares and headaches started to occur. He said that I wasn't getting deep enough sleep and didn't seem all that concerned about it. He did ask me what sort of nightmares they were, but I had a hard time describing them accurately. (I'm in a foreign country using a foreign language).

I guess the nightmares I can live with, but the headaches are very debilitating and unless I take Loxinin, they won't abate until hopefully the next morning. I only have about 10 Loxinin left, so that's a concern.

I probably should go and see a regular GP and ask them to do some blood work, but I'm deathly afraid of what they will find. I'd almost rather not know, but since I'm not only living for myself, but my son and wife too. I guess I should.

Tough call. But you said the headaches have been a constant all your life, so no reason to say it's anything different? You've probably been given reasons in the past? The doc gave my friend migraine tablets to see if they'd dislodge it, she took them a couple of times, they did have some effect.

Tough call. But you said the headaches have been a constant all your life, so no reason to say it's anything different? You've probably been given reasons in the past? The doc gave my friend migraine tablets to see if they'd dislodge it, she took them a couple of times, they did have some effect.

The docs did a plethora of tests and never did figure out why the migraines were happening. As far as I know no anurisms or tumors because I've had brain scans for those too in the the past. It's a mystery so far as to why. I think that perhaps it's stress related or something, but I'm not sure. There is also a possibility that I have sleep apnea. My wife said I snore so loudly sometimes that it shakes the sliding doors like an earthquake haha. I'm sure she's joking but that could be another reason for feeling like I'm run down and have nasty headaches too.

I'm having similar problems.

Some of my nightmares are also PTSD-like and get worse when I take medication to help me sleep over an extended period, such as herbal sleep aids. If I don't take these, the nightmares are fewer - but it's harder to get to sleep. Also, antidepressants can cause nightmares or vivid dreams. When I was on Sertraline, I had them a lot more.

I get the headaches too, and I've noticed a pattern: I get them after a stressful event, like sudden difficult situation that I have to deal with, of after a period of extreme stress, with migraine symptoms. Nothing much I can do about them except to ride them out, I'd love a solution to them.

I have regular blood tests and they all come back normal - I don't think that in my case anything sinister is going on, I think that my headaches are the result of stress and environment, but best to have it checked out.

I'm having similar problems.

Some of my nightmares are also PTSD-like and get worse when I take medication to help me sleep over an extended period, such as herbal sleep aids. If I don't take these, the nightmares are fewer - but it's harder to get to sleep. Also, antidepressants can cause nightmares or vivid dreams. When I was on Sertraline, I had them a lot more.

I get the headaches too, and I've noticed a pattern: I get them after a stressful event, like sudden difficult situation that I have to deal with, of after a period of extreme stress, with migraine symptoms. Nothing much I can do about them except to ride them out, I'd love a solution to them.

I have regular blood tests and they all come back normal - I don't think that in my case anything sinister is going on, I think that my headaches are the result of stress and environment, but best to have it checked out.

Sorry you have been having these issues too.

I try to not take my sleep aids unless absolutely necessary, but I think from now on, I'll keep track of if I took them and if I had a bad night filled with nightmares. If that's the case, I'll either avoid them or try to change medicines. I'd really prefer something herbal though.

As far as the stressful events go, every day is a rat race in my home and also at my job. I couldn't really pinpoint if stress is causing the headaches because of it.

I am dreading it, but I will go and get myself checked out. Cancer runs on both sides of my family heavily and that's one of my biggest fears.

Thank you for your input.

Since I don't know anything about the medicine you take I will ignore them and any side effects that might cause this. I think you'd probably know if they'd be the reason or your doctor might have told you.

What I can say from my own experience tho is that whenever I had to work through trauma I had a hell long phase of nightmares. I had nightmares where I was chased, where I couldn't even wake up before I was killed. These went on for weeks each time and I felt like a wreck the next day. I also had troubles to sleep, fall asleep and had days where I didn't sleep at all. I tend to get headaches if my sleep is disturbed and not deep enough, also when my Sinus is acting up and I don't breath proper at night. Maybe, just maybe, there is a connection between your snoring and your headaches too.
As for the nightmares, I'd think - but only from my experience, I don't wanna say it is this or it is that - that you maybe go through stuff and it might be the unconcious mind that causes these nightmares. I seem to work through stuff now that has been years ago. It's less nightmares but very odd dreams.

Thanks for your response. The doctor hasn't told me all the side effects of my meds, nor did he tell me to quit drinking while on them. Which is I guess common sense, but mindboggling that he wouldn't mention it. I had to research all my meds online.

I am definitely working through a lot of things in my life that could induce nightmares on both a conscious and subconscious level I think, so you might be onto something there.

I hope that you are not plagued by nightmares anymore. They make sleeping (which is usually one of my favorite things) dreadful.

Sorry you have been having these issues too.

I try to not take my sleep aids unless absolutely necessary, but I think from now on, I'll keep track of if I took them and if I had a bad night filled with nightmares. If that's the case, I'll either avoid them or try to change medicines. I'd really prefer something herbal though.

As far as the stressful events go, every day is a rat race in my home and also at my job. I couldn't really pinpoint if stress is causing the headaches because of it.

I am dreading it, but I will go and get myself checked out. Cancer runs on both sides of my family heavily and that's one of my biggest fears.

Thank you for your input.
The sleep aids I take are herbal, so be aware that these can also cause nightmares to be worse. Especially if taken over an extended period of time.
As for cancer, many forms of cancer can be treated if caught earlier, assumiing that it IS cancer, it's better to know about it early and treat it than leave it until it can't be treated, but that's a worse case scenario and unlikely, and getting it checked out and knowing it isnt cancer will put your mind at rest.

As for cancer, many forms of cancer can be treated if caught earlier, assumiing that it IS cancer, it's better to know about it early and treat it than leave it until it can't be treated, but that's a worse case scenario and unlikely, and getting it checked out and knowing it isnt cancer will put your mind at rest.

Thanks for your wise words. If I did find out that I don't have cancer it would be a big relief. I don't think that's what's causing the nightmares, but it would be one less thing to worry about and maybe it would give me more incentive to take better care of myself.

Have you tried a mix of Thyme & Chamomile tea?
Don't think it will help the headaches but it could help the nightmares.

Just slept for 2 hours and woke up from another one.. This is getting tiring. Going down the rabbit hole again, wish me luck..

(No sleep aids).
1:10 am and had another where I mauled a coworker at a party. Then left the party, scaled a bridge that collapsed where I did a matrix type float to the ground. Then I got nto onto an elevator filled with excrement of various varieties. Woke up.Didn't fall back asleep until 2:30 AM.

5:06 AM woke from a dream of some kids who killed a 1000 headed snake( guessing on the quantity of heads). I screamed "No, don't do it." And that woke up my wife,who then woke me up out of the dream. Back down the rabbit hole...

Woke up at 7am for good with no further nightmares or headaches at least.

Last edited:
Hey everyone.

Lately I've been suffering from terrible nightmares, followed by killer headaches the next day. I live a very stressful and somewhat lonesome life so maybe that's why, or contrarily I take quite a few meds, so maybe that could be the cause. (Abilify, Concerta, Valium occasionally and Bromazepam also occasionally.)

I must say, I find this disturbing considering that if you look up all those meds, you'll find that they all have the potential side effects of producing nightmares and/or headaches. Equally disturbing to hear your physician has dismissed such concerns and chosen to focus only on your lack of sleep.

Perhaps a second opinion of a medical professional might be a good idea under such circumstances. See if you can find another psychiatrist not so prone to throwing so many medications your way, and to determine if there may be some kind of toxic synergistic effect happening as a result of taking such meds at the same time.

I must say, I find this disturbing considering that if you look up all those meds, you'll find that they all have the potential side effects of producing nightmares and/or headaches. Equally disturbing to hear your physician has dismissed such concerns and chosen to focus only on your lack of sleep.

Perhaps a second opinion of a medical professional might be a good idea under such circumstances. See if you can find another psychiatrist not so prone to throwing so many medications your way, and to determine if there may be some kind of toxic synergistic effect happening as a result of taking such meds at the same time.

Wow, I didn't see those side effects on my lists of side effects when I did my internet research... Thanks for the info, you might be right about changing docs.. I'm going to bring that up to him on Wednesday when I see him.

Thanks truly for the info.

Wow, I didn't see those side effects on my lists of side effects when I did my internet research... Thanks for the info, you might be right about changing docs.. I'm going to bring that up to him on Wednesday when I see him.

Thanks truly for the info.

Side effects all claiming headaches and/or nightmares and sleeping problems:

Lexotan (bromazepam) anxiety medicine information | myVMC

Side Effects of Abilify (Aripiprazole), Warnings, Uses

Side Effects of Concerta (Methylphenidate Extended-Release Tablets), Warnings, Uses

Valium Side Effects: Common, Severe, Long Term - Drugs.com

Cassiopeia's experience has been mine, as well. I am currently re-reading an extremely insightful and helpful book, of which, was recommended to me, by my therapist, titled; The Body Keeps The Score - Brain, Mind and Body in the Healing of Trauma, by Bessel van der Kolk, M.D., of which you might find of value. It has helped me, profoundly. With regard to your inquiry about alternative methods, among other information, the book offers various, natural methods of treatment for symptoms of PTSD and anxiety, including insomnia, recurring nightmares, headaches and other symptoms.

Some other modalities that have benefited me, are, Magnesium, practicing yoga, meditation and immersing myself in nature, as often as possible.

I've tried valerian root and melatonin, of which caused me to experience intense, vivid dreams, and made me quite groggy the following day, but I know a few people who have found significant relief of sleep disruption, as the result of taking these particular, natural remedies.

I hope you find relief, and feel well, soon.

You should give the melatonin a chance. What's one night? This is embarrassing, but melatonin tends to make me have dreams of the sexual nature (which I never have otherwise). But then it makes sense, since it's the pineal gland that makes melatonin and also plays a role in sex drive. But it's better than dreaming about being chased by aliens or hillbillies. (Well, maybe you'd be chased for other reasons. lol)
Anyhow, I do deal with headaches and occasional nightmares. I had nightmares constantly when I was married. They usually go along with struggling with something. Any time I was planning or thinking about going to visit family it seems I always dreamed about snakes. What do you go to bed thinking about?

Headaches - the only thing that helps mine is Excedrin (generic is fine)- Tylenol never touched the headaches - it was like eating a tic tac.

New Threads

Top Bottom