• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New Year’s

Im staying in tonight, with my boyfriend and the cats. We’ve both had a tough year, so at midnight we’ll celebrate the start of a new year that we both hope will be better for us. And we celebrate the fact that we’re still together after all the hardships we’ve been through. It’s very foggy outside and people are throwing around heavy fireworks even though they can’t see who they’re throwing it at, so I won’t be leaving the house.

I'm going over to our neighbours shortly.. Probably to drink, light some fireworks, and just have some fun in general..

What am I celebrating? The earth passing an arbitrarily set point in its orbit around the sun, I guess....
I'm pretty happy for any arbitrary reason to have fun. :D

Nope. I just wait for the clock to strike midnight, wish a happy new year to anyone who's still up, and go to bed. This year had a nice twist as I got to wish my international friends a happy new year when it turned midnight in their countries.

I'm all set to watch a movie or so, eat more rich food and attempt to be awake at midnight.

In all, once again, it was a good year, with no regrets or ill health. If that doesn't sound like a treasure, then what is?

To me, it signifies settling in for winter and working on my indoor projects and hobbies.

I wish you all the best and hope that the new year brings you renewed hope if nothing more.

In the old days I’d watch Guy Lombardo’s orchestra televised from the Waldorf Astoria. Wanted to be one of the men dancing in tuxedos. I miss that elegance.

I'll just head downtown for the midnight fireworks with me, myself and my camera

Other than doing street photography of the events,I have very little interest in New Year's Eve... I will usually photograph people watching the fireworks, a photo from 2016...

Digi_05B(0482).jpg

Ya know, I don't think I've ever slept through a New Year - always been awake to see it in. But it's not been deliberate, just don't think I've ever been to sleep before midnight. lol I used to always work this holiday so others could be off. I've been to 2 NY parties in my life and was miserable both times. I like just a quiet evening alone.

Talked to a few friends in distant places in the world, relating personal news to one another. Had a nice meal that I made, and watched a documentary on wild cats around the world. As for celebrating, not truly. It's simply the last day that marks the end of 2019. I shoveled lots of snow, and listened to the wind howl, glad to be warm and safe.

Last edited:
I will probably be fast asleep due to my meds. I used to stay up for New Year's when I was younger, in the mid 1990s there was a NYE show called New Year's West Coast Live! that wasn't taped but had real live reports from the big parties up and down the Left Coast, from Seattle to San Diego and Las Vegas too of course.

By the early 2000s KCRA-TV in Sacramento was sponsoring the New Year's Sky Concert, a big affair in Old Town on the riverfront with fireworks and dixieland jazz and so on. Then on New Year's Eve 2004/5 it POURED down rain. KCRA lost a bundle of cash that year, so no more Sky Concerts.

By the time I got rid of my TV for good during the recession everything was just taped stuff from New York. Most people here who actually care about New Year's go to small, private house parties and the like. The big, high profile parties of the old days are history.
As to why January 1 is New Year's Day, it's a really weird story going back 2000 years to the dictatorship of Julius Caesar at the beginning of the Roman Empire. Roman Senators would regularly screw with the calendar apparently with the goal of lengthening their terms of office. Caesar eventually promised Romans that he'd clean up the snake pit, and first on the agenda was getting rid of the Senate's screwing up the calendar.

The next few years were a tug of war between Caesar and the Senate. In the end, Rome got a solar-based calendar with a new New Year's Day that had started as one of Caesar's attempts to fix the old calendar, and an extra month called (of course) "Julius". After Julius got shanked, his son called himself "Augustus Caesar" and to better his dad he introduced a new month, "Augustus".

So what had been a 10 month lunar calendar with a NYD on March 22 became a 12 month solar calendar with a NYD on January 1. This calendar had to be reoriented to solar benchmarks in the 15 century CE (Julius's astronomers apparently made a few math errors) but the basic format has not changed since the days of Augustus Caesar, a time when Yeshua (Jesus) was alive.

Not really celebrating anything.
It is a world wide night of a tradition so I see it as a night to watch what's happening around the world.
Always watch the NYC dropping of the New Year ball.
It's a night to see what people are doing and I like to see how the music and musicians change through
my life.

When I lived in a senior community with my Mom, they always had a small gathering at the club house
for New Year's night that I attended.
One of the few social gatherings I enjoyed because I got to dress up and sing Karaoke with another
guy that lived there. Then there was the food.
Everyone would watch the ball drop on a big screen TV on the wall. Then I went home and relaxed.
I do like to entertain and you could talk with who you wanted or just be to yourself.

@Sherlock77 That is a wonderful photo of what I am talking about. The girl watching fireworks. Watching what is going on around the world. I really like that picture!

I remember all the Times Squares back when Dick Clark was a young man and this was always the last
song of the night:

As usual, I had no one to celebrate with (not even my aunt which is good, actually) but an old friend phoned to speak to me which was really nice. I felt bad for not answering the phone yesterday as I don’t do phonecalls so she phoned again on New Year’s Eve and I answered. We spoke for about 15 minutes which was a good step and I said I’d make plans to see her later on in the year sometime. Other than that, I got text messages from a couple of people and also from my aunt and her sister.

I am, however, meeting my two friends later today for a New Years coffee before one of them starts their night shift. It’s perfect as neither of us really drink alcohol and celebrate in our own way. We are also heading away on a day trip to set fireworks off on Sunday. Technically, it’s still the new year and we do this each year which is a nice tradition for us.

It's really hard to fathom that it's been 20 years since we had the Y2K scare they threw at us.

We were going to stay up and watch the Great Potato Drop (It's a Idaho thing). But I fell asleep on my recliner. I woke up about 10:00 PM and saw that my wife was asleep on her recliner. So I woke her up and we went to bed. Maybe next year.

New Threads

Top Bottom