• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New to the forum, fascinated already =)

ECM2018

I've been looking for some kind of online community to engage in about autism and Asperger's and I've been pleasantly surprised already at the kind of thoughtful, engaging conversations going on here.

I am almost 31, was diagnosed with Asperger's two years ago after going to therapy for social anxiety and obsessively researching autism after getting a job as a teacher at a school for kids with autism. I have been very fortunate in my life in a lot of ways regarding my acclimation into social circles and finding love. But I haven't been so lucky as far as meeting or talking to people with whom I feel on the same "level." I don't really "feel" anyone in my life, and I really miss being with people that I feel comfortable being myself around. I love my husband and my family and my brother and friends...but I also feel eternally separated from them. Is there anyone on this side? lol

And when I say miss...I mean the last person I felt similar to was a friend named Jessica in second grade...lol.

upload_2018-5-22_15-20-14.png

Haven't I seen you before somewhere?
:)

I'm sure you've some interesting contributions to make.
Especially considering your day job.

Finding people on the same level will always be difficult, I think.

Easier on here than in the real world,perhaps.

Less judgmental,for sure.

I've been looking for some kind of online community to engage in about autism and Asperger's and I've been pleasantly surprised already at the kind of thoughtful, engaging conversations going on here.

I am almost 31, was diagnosed with Asperger's two years ago after going to therapy for social anxiety and obsessively researching autism after getting a job as a teacher at a school for kids with autism. I have been very fortunate in my life in a lot of ways regarding my acclimation into social circles and finding love. But I haven't been so lucky as far as meeting or talking to people with whom I feel on the same "level." I don't really "feel" anyone in my life, and I really miss being with people that I feel comfortable being myself around. I love my husband and my family and my brother and friends...but I also feel eternally separated from them. Is there anyone on this side? lol

And when I say miss...I mean the last person I felt similar to was a friend named Jessica in second grade...lol.
Wow.... I literally could have written this post myself! I'm 34, married and have a good network of family members and a social circle I grew up with. These people accept me for who I am... Often saying things like 'there's only one you' or 'you are certainly a character' when my differences are apparent. I feel very blessed to have such people in my life but I often feel bored in their company because our interests and views are worlds apart.

Welcome ECM2018 I hope you enjoy it here, and that you find plenty of useful information and threads to read and respond to.

:palmtree::cactus::palmtree::cactus::palmtree::cactus::palmtree::cactus::palmtree::cactus::palmtree::cactus::palmtree::cactus::turtle::palmtree:

Hi ECM2018, welcome to the forum!

You’re not alone in what you expressed, and you’re in the right place to find people on your level now. :)

Welcome ECM, to the Asperger's and Autism community. Agree that it's rare to discover people who don't just mouth the platitudes.

Welcome, ECM2018. Your post sounds familiar. Your are in the right place.

Hi ECM2018 and welcome. This is a friendly place, and also one where, as you intimate, you can be recognised for what you are. I've learned a lot here.

I'm impressed that you can hack classroom teaching. I lecture university students but I find that a lot less stressful than the few times I've done a talk at a school.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! =) I'm actually no longer teaching, unfortunately. It was too much for me. I tried really hard to keep going, but I was challenged with a large class and not enough support. In the end, I was so stressed out I was feeling sick every morning. I miss the kids and teaching in general, but the social stresses of not knowing how to ask for support was ultimately too much for me to handle. I had kids in my class who were there for behavioral issues beyond autism and the atmosphere became rather toxic, and frankly, unsafe. I wish we had a better system in the US for these kids who really need one-on-one support for individual success.

New Threads

Top Bottom