• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New to the forum and searching for empathy and encouragement

Needingspace

Hi. My mother had ASC, and my brother. I didn't know that back then when I suddenly felt trapped into marrying my husband. I didn't understand what was going on, but his behaviour felt normal to me, because he behaved like my mother and brother. I don't feel safe saying too much here, in case I'm identified. All three of them go into rages, and eventually I had a complete breakdown, so I can't risk sticking my head above the parapet by saying anything that will identify me, because I can't face any more anger, or apparent anger. I'm still with my husband after more than 40 years, but struggling to recover from the severe trauma that went on for about four years and caused the breakdown. I can't face recovering to life as it was before. I can see that my husband needs me, and as a Christian I resist divorce. But I need the space to be me; I really need freedom for a bit. I want to live apart but stay married and visit each other once a month, and spend Christmas and holidays together. I'm happy to talk on the phone and by messages - that works well for us and we do it a lot already. I'm not saying this should be forever, but he's finding this hard to understand and I need to know how to explain to him that it will be better for both of us. And I know if this happens I'm going to face a lot of criticism, and I'm dreading that. I feel so completely battered.

5f3cf0d0d30a67e84288680cee41e6c1.png

Welcome to AC. This is a good place to be.

Sounds like for your health and sanity you need to do what you need to do.

New Threads

Top Bottom