• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi there, I just discovered this awesome community. Thank you for letting me join! I don't have a diagnosis but ASD runs in my family. I have scored high on self-diagnostic tests but I'm not sure that I would qualify for a diagnosis. Non the less, I really enjoy communicating with different people with ASD and have spent a lot of time doing so over the past 8 years.

As someone who is also passionate about health science, I am especially interested in the relationship between ASD, eating disturbances, and food intake/food patterns. I am currently doing research on this topic. The overall goals of this research are to understand eating disturbances among adults with ASD and include direct perspectives on the topic from adults with ASD. Currently, there just isn't enough research that includes the direct perspectives of adults with ASD.

The research involves responding to an anonymous online survey about eating experiences, eating habits, food intake, and eating disturbances. It usually takes about 15 - 20 minutes. I am also doing interviews about eating habits since childhood.

I am reaching out to this community to get feedback about this research. I just want to know what you all think. If you have any suggestions about how to get more adults with ASD to participate, I would be very grateful for any feedback at all.

Thank you for reading this!

Respectfully,

Veronica

IMG_0626.JPG
i've had problems with eating from childhood ,ate as few vegetables as I possibly could - my mother thought I was being ungrateful!until an incident where I had a reaction to vegetable curry .
for some reason at the age of 15 my body decided I could eat anything I don't know why.
I still have a craving for meat not as much for cows milk now.

Hi there, I just discovered this awesome community. Thank you for letting me join! I don't have a diagnosis but ASD runs in my family. I have scored high on self-diagnostic tests but I'm not sure that I would qualify for a diagnosis. Non the less, I really enjoy communicating with different people with ASD and have spent a lot of time doing so over the past 8 years.

As someone who is also passionate about health science, I am especially interested in the relationship between ASD, eating disturbances, and food intake/food patterns. I am currently doing research on this topic. The overall goals of this research are to understand eating disturbances among adults with ASD and include direct perspectives on the topic from adults with ASD. Currently, there just isn't enough research that includes the direct perspectives of adults with ASD.

The research involves responding to an anonymous online survey about eating experiences, eating habits, food intake, and eating disturbances. It usually takes about 15 - 20 minutes. I am also doing interviews about eating habits since childhood.

I am reaching out to this community to get feedback about this research. I just want to know what you all think. If you have any suggestions about how to get more adults with ASD to participate, I would be very grateful for any feedback at all.

Respectfully,

Veronica
Will the results from this survey be made available to the participants?

Can you offer us some credentials so the members know exactly who they are sharing their info with?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/veronica-vancleave-hunt-33518765/

Yes, thank you for the question.
I am a graduate student at California State University, Chico in a Nutrition and Food Science masters program. Above is a link to my LinkedIn profile and attached is a copy of the approval from the Institutional Review Board for including humans in my research.

The results of the survey are anonymous, no one's name will be attached to their responses. Only I and my research advisors (Professors at CSU, Chico) have access to them. The results will be analyzed with statistical analysis and interpreted. I aim to get the manuscript from the research published.

Attachments

• Human Subject Approval.JPG
    Human Subject Approval.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

I am a graduate student at California State University, Chico in a Nutrition and Food Science masters program. Above is a link to my LinkedIn profile and attached is a copy of the approval from the Institutional Review Board for including humans in my research.

The results of the survey are anonymous, no one's name will be attached to their responses. Only I and my research advisors (Professors at CSU, Chico) have access to them. The results will be analyzed with statistical analysis and interpreted. I aim to get the manuscript from the research published.
does your research include animal testing

I find this acceptable.
Good luck on your survey :)

Respectfully,

Veronica
Welcome. Thank you for finding this community. I look forward to your contribution here.

View attachment 43158 i've had problems with eating from childhood ,ate as few vegetables as I possibly could - my mother thought I was being ungrateful!until an incident where I had a reaction to vegetable curry .
for some reason at the age of 15 my body decided I could eat anything I don't know why.
I still have a craving for meat not as much for cows milk now.

Thank you for sharing this. It really helps to learn from people's experiences and perspectives. Would you happen be interested in taking the survey and/or doing an interview with me (via email or messenger, etc.)? Here is a link to the survey, just in case: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/57636BQ thanks! :)

Welcome, Veronica!

That's a fascinating subject to study, and I think I could go on about my own food for a very long time... survey taken, but I'm open to an email interview if you need more info on my love of broccoli (or other information on food, but I thought I should disclose my obsession first).

You may also find the searchbox useful, we've had a few interesting threads on food issues, textures, and favorite/most hated food.

Hi Veronica, I quite like doing surveys, so I'm doing yours now. But I notice it asks me which state I live in, suggesting that you only want US respondents. I'm in the UK. I'll continue, but you might want to clarify for others here.

Hi Veronica, I quite like doing surveys, so I'm doing yours now. But I notice it asks me which state I live in, suggesting that you only want US respondents. I'm in the UK. I'll continue, but you might want to clarify for others here.

also: Q22 contains an infinite loop, Q35 repeats Q34, Q41-43 "rarely eat meat" feels uncomfortable for me as I haven't eaten flesh for more than 30 years, Q116 needs a does not apply option, Q118 should allow more than one option to be selected, Q120 & Q123 contain a mistaken references to Q117, and cup sizing might not be familiar to respondents outside North America.

Sorry. I know this sounds picky. Perhaps picky eaters are also picky respondents.

also: Q22 contains an infinite loop, Q35 repeats Q34, Q41-43 "rarely eat meat" feels uncomfortable for me as I haven't eaten flesh for more than 30 years, Q116 needs a does not apply option, Q118 should allow more than one option to be selected, Q120 & Q123 contain a mistaken references to Q117, and cup sizing might not be familiar to respondents outside North America.

Sorry. I know this sounds picky. Perhaps picky eaters are also picky respondents.

This is excellent and thorough feedback, thank you so much! I will try to make those corrections right now. Thanks again! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom