• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New hobby

bookWorm

Hi all not sure this place to post this question bit burned out from reading a lot and wanted to try new hobby learning play musical instrument particularly the violin are the pipa after some advice where buy one in uk and for beginner what would best buying.

You can find cheap musical instruments on Walmart.com.

We use tutorials on Youtube!!! I bought my daughter a guitar, and we discovered lots of good youtube tutorials.

Another good idea, if you're into it, is buying a cheap keyboard. The piano is a very easy instrument to teach yourself.

A few years ago, I taught myself piano with an instruction book meant for very young children. All I needed was for someone to point out Middle C to me.

Next, I got an old church hymnal from a thrift store and began playing those songs. It was easy to learn the Christmas songs because everyone already knows how they're supposed to sound.

It wasn't so difficult to learn other songs, once I had the fundamentals down. And as a beginner pianist, you don't even have to learn chords. You can play the songs using only one finger per note, and the song will still sound lovely.

Chords come much later.

Last edited:
I don't have any advice on where to buy a violin except you might find your answer on the internet. Do you have an instructor? I've heard Yamaha makes very good beginner violins and those can be ordered online. Follow that advice at your own risk!

Just considering a violin gives me anxiety as I like rather more assured sucesses. The bowed psaltry, ukelele and kazoo are my jam. Hahaha!

I'd recommend going to a local music shop and find more info. But, if the instruments are too expensive there, try local second hand shops. I know some dedicated (non-charity) second hand shops often have a lot of instruments in them.

Then you'll need to decide if you want to teach yourself, or get lessons. You could always see if you could get lessons before you buy an instrument. A teacher may have instruments that a student could use. As such, you could give it a few lessons, see how you feel before you decide to buy one.

Ed

Over a decade ago, started learning banjo, scruggs style. I am poor at reading music so the tablature notation common with that instrument is nice. There are some instruments affordable for beginners made by Deering that do not sacrifice tone and quality. The first I learned on is the Deering Goodtime II. I've progressed nicely but not good enough to jam. When I was working in Croatia, I would bring my banjo and the people I worked with enjoyed hearing it.

Just something try learn on my own at first isnt anymore local could get any teachers other then maybe looking online nowhere can think sell violins.The the Yamaha violins there store in London do look good starting around 250 or if couldn't find anything start with decent guitar or Deering Goodtime II looks amazing.

Hi all not sure this place to post this question bit burned out from reading a lot and wanted to try new hobby learning play musical instrument particularly the violin are the pipa after some advice where buy one in uk and for beginner what would best buying.
try auction sites !also if final choice is violin !start doing Pilates ,you need very specific upper body strength and you don't want to fall prey to the shoulder conditions violinists get .
Look on YouTube for whether a specific design of violin is for a beginner same for the pipa

Just something try learn on my own at first isnt anymore local could get any teachers other then maybe looking online nowhere can think sell violins.The the Yamaha violins there store in London do look good starting around 250 or if couldn't find anything start with decent guitar or Deering Goodtime II looks amazing.
The open back Deering is just as good, cheaper, and has surprising volume.

My daughter took violin for a little bit. You do need to buy a backup of strings as they break with wear. Also, violins are fragile, you do want a case. She had a little humidifier in her case because this instrument is senstitive to changes l guess. She had something to rub her bow on also. She also took it to get tuned but eventually she tuned it herself. She then went to guitar, and enjoyed that for awhile. Some music stores have a list of teachers because starting out with violin, you need hands on and then you can move on and learn on your own.

Great choice, sounds like a excellent plan.

Thank settled on Yamaha v3 student violin listened on site as suitable for beginners comes with case for 288 price isn't to bad .Sadly moment no music stores can get to have take chance on buying violin online feel a lot have to learn didn't know about shoulder problem something have look into .Put getting pipa and banjo hold for now something I get at later date

Thank settled on Yamaha v3 student violin listened on site as suitable for beginners comes with case for 288 price isn't to bad .Sadly moment no music stores can get to have take chance on buying violin online feel a lot have to learn didn't know about shoulder problem something have look into .Put getting pipa and banjo hold for now something I get at later date
I think it's professional violin players or people who play a! lot! that get a problem.

Are you near London ?as I know the covid variant caused a lot of cases, where I am was 3rd just after South West England.

Cool you decided to learn violin. I've been fiddling with mine for a while, but I guess I don't have a particular talent for music, though I do pick it up from time to time to jam.

I recommend you get an instructor, in person or online. A cheap alternative is also artistworks, where you send a video of you playing a lesson and the instructor sends a video back with advice.
The fiddlerman forum is great, with a warm and welcoming community. Violinst.com is also great, but sometimes a bit to snobbish and uncultured beyond the specifics.

Also, if possible ditch the strings and rosin that came with the violin. They tend to be pretty bad, and anything else you can get (however cheap it is) tend to be better than what comes with it. And get a shoulder rest, if this kit doesn't bring one.

Learning on your own is not impossible, for significantly harder.

Pic of my current violin
(I should get an upgrade as soon as I can afford it)

v4uorfy.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom