• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New and looking for answers

What I would do is look for a line of work that involves as little social interaction as possible. Also, Try to avoid jobs that require you to work with other as a team. The less social interaction you have, the better. You're not gonna be able to eliminate all social interaction but you can at lease keep it within safe limits.

Clearly not otherwise they would know the right answer. If I am given a task to design something, prepare a report, really anything I am given responsibility for I will study it and learn it from the fundemantal concept and then all the information piled on top. It is quite normal for me to build this knowledge rapidly because I do tend to hyperfocus on things. This means I study it at work, at home, at the shops, in the toilet and wherever else I may be. When I draft that report, or do that design and my manager states 'this is wrong, it should be like this and I respond with, I can understand that's how you have been applying it, however I came across 'insert legislation/guideline etc' and for this situation it should be like this. Now this is fine, once or twice, but when it keeps happening over and over again and my managers boss and my work colleagues start seeing that I am constantly producing more accurate work than my supervisor, this is when it goes bad. I can understand how you can jump to a conclusion and just blurt out some rhetoric, however, these issues are ordinarily organic and not an uncomfortable exchange of words in a moment. I am a 40 year old man, not a kid. I have learnt to treat everyone with respect and tolerance, however I can't stop being good at my job just because the guy above me isn't as good.

Thing about it though, and this is where the whole ASD bit comes into play: You may THINK you dont behave a certain way. That does not even remotely mean that you have actually avoided acting in that way.

"I'm not acting like X, I'm just doing Y" is something I've heard about 5 billionty times both on this forum, and in other places such as Wrongplanet. AND have heard from in-person encounters with individuals who are on the spectrum. It is EXTREMELY common (to the point where I've already given this very explanation MANY times just on this one forum). We often dont truly realize what we are doing, or how we are acting. 99% of the time, we will be SURE we are acting "proper" and not doing X thing. The vast majority of the time.... we are wrong about this. This is an unfortunate and super irritating part of being on the spectrum for many of us. The fact that we usually wont realize the problem even exists just makes it worse.

Even just in this one post, you say things like "because the guy above me isnt as good". That right there is a problematic statement. You say just that very short bit there around the person you're referring to, and they'll feel insulted.... because they WERE insulted. You personally may not see the insult there. But believe me.... it is absolutely there. Again, us on the spectrum tend to do that. Say X. But dont spot that it actually means Y. If told that it DOES in fact mean Y, we will still believe that no, it really is X. I rather suspect you are thinking that even as you read this. I actually could point out quite a few more problematic statements within what you've posted so far (as could many of the responders here), but I think I've made my point.

Unfortunately, whether you are able to realize or not is irrelevant when you're dealing with people. The things you say have meaning regardless of whether you yourself can perceive that meaning (and also regardless of whether you accept the possibility of that meaning being there). And most NTs START with the ability to perceive that meaning... they dont have to spend time working on that ability like most on the spectrum do. The problematic things you say wont go unnoticed by them. It's one of the things that leads to major communication issues for us.

But in addition to that, people really dont like being told they are wrong. Think about it. If you've ever really paid very close attention to two people who are arguing, you might notice that the arguement goes back and forth and back and forth, each one so sure they are right, and by the time the arguement is done.... neither will have conceded. Both will STILL be sure that they are right. That's how people think: I believe X is true, therefore I MUST be right, because I am the focus of existence. This seems to be the default mindset for many. When you try to challenge them on this, well... it's like some aggressive animal out in the wild, challenging another for dominance. That's how it is perceived. Silly, yes. But that's how it is.

You may have trouble realizing (or accepting) all of these things... but believe me, they are there. I have had to learn this myself the hard way. And it wasnt easy at all.

Now, to bring up another aspect: conduct within the context of a job.

People arent always logical even when they should be. Work IN PARTICULAR is a good example. I havent worked a job in a very long time. I dont require one. But back when I did, I saw.... so much stupid in each job. SO MUCH STUPID. "Do things that way", even though "that way" was bloody stupid. So many jobs are like that, whether they are low level things, or high level important stuff. Doesnt matter: It happens at all levels. And here's the thing: It DOESNT MATTER if you agree with how things are done. It really doesnt. If management expects things to be done a certain way, well... that's just how it is. Is your boss (or the guys at the very top) out of touch with stuff? Doesnt matter. He's the guy in charge. If he wants something done via a particular method... then it better get done by that method. In a way, doing what is supposedly the "logical correct thing" is actually INcorrect in this situation. Because again, this is a job. When you work a job, you do not what YOU think should be done... but what your EMPLOYER thinks should be done. And it's almost always a fantastically awful idea to actually question the methods of that employer. That's a fast track to getting absolutely nowhere. In some jobs, it's a fast track to having to get a new job. Even if it takes alot of effort to resist the urge to do that.... resist anyway. Every single action you do must be considered within the CONTEXT of this being a job.

And yeah, I know. That's all bloody stupid. It really is. But that's just how it goes. If you really want to advance, or just simply avoid people in your workplace trying to get rid of you... you might have to dumb things down a bit. Again, yeah, it's idiotic. But employment usually is. You wont like doing that, nobody likes doing that, but again: It's not up to you.

The only way to truly avoid it is to not be working for someone like that in the first place. And that's not easy to pull off.

I've forgotten what else I was going to say. Memory like a cheese grater.

Hi Slycargo. I was a nurse working in a hospital and I had one boss that was, well, kind of an idiot but also the type of person that no one was allowed to question. She was a nurse and night shift floor manager. I tried to always make sure my patients wouldn't need anything if I had to leave the floor for even a few minutes. I hated to walk into one of my rooms and see my boss doing something with one of my patients that I was responsible for. Once I walked in and she was trying to change out a chest tube drainage system and had done it all wrong (she had instructions in her lap). I immediately could see what she had done wrong, but I just said, "Here, let me finish that for you, I have time." Once she left the room, I undid what she had done. I mean, she was terrible with patient care and during the time I worked under her I know one of the things she did, a surgeon had to surgically fix (not my patient, but an LPN whom I was responsible for that night), and a law suit involving my patient, in which I was required to go to some class and she covered my patients - I tried to make sure there was absolutely nothing she could do for any of them, but when I got back she had hung blood on a patient without an order (ended up in a law suit). She tried to blame that one on me, but there was no way she could. The bigger problem is when she would try to get me to do something that I knew was wrong. We had many disagreements and I was always having to figure out the easiest way to handle things.

I remember we had a nurse trainee who asked me if I would teach her trache care because her trainer just made her more confused. I happened to have a room with 2 patients with traches so I said sure. I did the first patient and just explained as I went. I'll never forget her saying, "Wow, you make it so much easier". I let her do the second as I talked her through and she had no problem.

Sometimes I think that when we do learn something, we do know what we're doing and often are just better at it. Co-workers don't like it but I never figured out what to do about that. Honestly, I had co-workers go behind me constantly looking for mistakes or something to complain about and it'd just make them madder when they couldn't find anything. I didn't know how to play incompetent. I mean, this is the way you do that and I don't know how to do it wrong or slower.

New Threads

Top Bottom