• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New and kinda taking it hard

Arcaign

Hello

I'm new around here and thought I would introduce myself... Today my 6 year old son with diagnosed with high functioning Aspergers and even though I knew there was something a little different with
my little guy, now that it's official, well, its kinda hitting home.

Jacob is the most innocent, well mannered and friendly boy you could ever meet, a true pleasure and I think what is hurting the most right now is the (although unknown) expected bullying he will face,
the looks he will receive from his peers and the potential difficulties he will face during his childhood. Please forgive me if I sound like a "Drama Queen" but having no experience with Aspergers, I have wild ideas running through my head.

Anyways, I truly do look forward to learning how I can help Jacob and what I can do to arm him for life ahead.

Thank you

Hello

I'm new around here and thought I would introduce myself... Today my 6 year old son with diagnosed with high functioning Aspergers and even though I knew there was something a little different with

Jacob is the most innocent, well mannered and friendly boy you could ever meet, a true pleasure and I think what is hurting the most right now is the (although unknown) expected bullying he will face,
the looks he will receive from his peers and the potential difficulties he will face during his childhood. Please forgive me if I sound like a "Drama Queen" but having no experience with Aspergers, I have wild ideas running through my head.

Anyways, I truly do look forward to learning how I can help Jacob and what I can do to arm him for life ahead.

Thank you

If you don't mind me asking. How did he get his diagnosis? Did you decide to do it or was it his school's officials idea?
Does he have an EIP?

It is overwhelming when you kid receives the spectrum diagnosis but try to look at it positively and embrace his differences.

Does he experience some sort of problems already?

Hi, Arcaign.
It's really nice that you decided to join this forum. I hope you can find useful information and some support around here.
I'll reply properly later.
Don't worry too much. This place is full of aspies who are quite cool people managing through life just fine.
Welcome here. Feel free to browse around and bring back old topics or create new ones.

If you don't mind me asking. How did he get his diagnosis? Did you decide to do it or was it his school's officials idea?
Does he have an EIP?

It is overwhelming when you kid receives the spectrum diagnosis but try to look at it positively and embrace his differences.

Does he experience some sort of problems already?

We got our diagnosis through the children's hospital that specializes on Autism Spectrum Disorder. Currently, he doesn't have major issues he's facing but knowing how cruel kids can be as they get older, I fear he could be a target. Understanding that it will be our role as parents to prepare him for the world, I'm wondering what is the best way to go about it?

I've been thinking about doing martial arts with him as he expressed an interest in it which I see as a great opportunity to increase his self confidence which to me is a great starting point.

Hi, Arcaign.
It's really nice that you decided to join this forum. I hope you can find useful information and some support around here.
I'll reply properly later.
Don't worry too much. This place is full of aspies who are quite cool people managing through life just fine.
Welcome here. Feel free to browse around and bring back old topics or create new ones.

Thank you Pedro... I feel I will be a regular surfer here.

We got our diagnosis through the children's hospital that specializes on Autism Spectrum Disorder. Currently, he doesn't have major issues he's facing but knowing how cruel kids can be as they get older, I fear he could be a target. Understanding that it will be our role as parents to prepare him for the world, I'm wondering what is the best way to go about it?

I've been thinking about doing martial arts with him as he expressed an interest in it which I see as a great opportunity to increase his self confidence which to me is a great starting point.

I've been thinking to sign my older son up for martial arts. His coordination is kinda off and it could definitely help with focus in addition to all the other benefits. Once I can afford it I'll do that if he wants to. As for the best approach: try to get as much information about Asperger's as possible. Books and articles written by people on the spectrum can be very useful as well especially if you're not on the spectrum yourself.
I think joining your local Autism community could be helpful. And when issues occur deal with those one at a time. I wouldn't think about the future to much. I think taking one day at a time might cause less stress.

AS for being mistreated by other kids... he will have less chances to be mistreated if he will be considered as a part of the community (school or whatever) and not an outsider.

Does he display any communication difficulties, does he have friends?

Hope I don't overwhelm you with all the questions. My older son is the same age as yours, so I can definitely relate to that.

Hello

Thank you

Hi, Arcaign.

Today, I got diagnosed with PDD-NOS. And even though I knew there was something a little different with me, now that it's official, well, its kinda hitting home. At the moment, I'm feeling a bit guilty. It's obvious to me that this is gonna bring some grief to my parents. But since it's obviously nobody's fault, and I'm a grown man without any disability that might keep me from having a "normal" life, I'll make this guilt fade away in five minutes. However, I have no clue how I would react if all this happened to my kid. Anyway, as a parent you're entitled to be a bit of a "Drama queen". Just don't push it.

First of all, having all these anticipating thoughts of possible future bullying is not useful. It might as well be counterproductive. It's great that Jacob hasn't had problems so far. Perhaps, he'll never get targeted. However, it's always good to know how to defend oneself. If he's interested in martial arts, get him enrolled in a dojo. It will train his motor coordination and help with his self-confidence too.

My opinion is you shouldn't feel sorry for Jacob and try to overcompensate him. This might cripple him. Don't let him victimize himself. What you need to do is to be supportive and to help him build self-confidence. Also explain things to him, teach him about people and relationships from early on. Be available to answer questions, even if they sound obvious. And expose him.

Martial Arts sounds like a good idea. It will give him something to focus on, build up his strength and possibly make him some friends if he joined a Martial Arts club. While it is important that he gets support, be careful not to overwhelm him with too much as this may lead him to push everyone away. Try not to make him feel different or Alien to everyone else either.

New Threads

Top Bottom