• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Never dated, need advice

"I have considered one particular co-worker as someone i'd be interested in pursuing at least a movie date, I am nervous and kind of expect rejection, but I feel like she would be kind enough to let me down easy, and at the very least it is a learning experience. I will keep what was said in this forum in mind "

My first date was at age 25. She was a co-worker who was smart and attractive and unattached. She understood the work (programming computers), so we had that in common to start with. She was well-established on the project, and I was a temporary transfer from far out of town. I started by asking her a few questions about the project. She answered, helpfully. She now knew my name, and I hers.

A couple of days later, I asked her about her hobbies. Turned out we had one in common, volleyball. This was a little surprising, as she was 5'2" and more round than lithe; I was 6'3". I asked her where she played, and she invited me to tag along to the pickup game. I did, knowing nowhere to play. Afterward, I thanked her for inviting me, and we each went home. (Our skill level was incredibly disparate. I had been playing serious competitive volleyball for 8 years. When I did hook up with a team there in San Diego, we came in 12th in the Volleyball Nationals that year.) I guess this was our first date, an activity we both enjoyed, together.

A few days later, I stopped by her desk, and we started chatting. She remarked about how well I played volleyball, and I confessed to having played it a lot, allowed as how that pickup game wasn't right for me (those players could get really hurt if I played like I normally did!), and switched the topic. I asked her how she had gotten assigned to this project. She had transferred from Minneapolis 6 months earlier, and I from Washington DC a few weeks earlier. This led to college experience, programming experience, and some adventures in the programming world. Trading stories is a major part of starting a relationship. Gotta ask and listen rather than talk, Aspie!

She then asked if I played tennis, since someone in her apartment complex wanted to play doubles and she had no partner. I accepted, with some unspoken reservations. (I was MVP on my high school team. My serve was unreturnable at the high school level. Here we go again...) I toned it down a lot, and we had a good time, going out for beers afterward. I make a lot of jokes, and we had a good time together. This was our second date.

A bit later, we were chatting again. I gently asked about her likes, in food, in wine (I had no experience in this one), her views on smoking, religion, and where she was born. Migod, we were both born in Wisconsin, 50 miles apart, a year difference in age. I bought a bottle of her favorite wine, wrapped it in computer printouts, and left it on her desk, with no note. She was pleased, of course, and we drank it at her apartment before going out for food. This was our third date. Many more were to follow. When I picked up a VB team there, she came to watch practice and tournaments, and drink beer afterwards with my new team. We were falling in love, a bit befuddled at the new emotions.

Six months later, she invited me to move in with her. Thank goodness she had some experience with sex, because That Night, Valentine's Day, 1972, I willingly gave up my virginity. We have since made two children, and will soon celebrate our 45th anniversary together. About a decade ago, we found out I am Aspie and she is HFA. No wonder we got along.

I just wanted to caution you about the workplace dating. If it doesn't work out, things can get weird pretty fast.

I would highly recommend online dating if you want experience dating. It's easy to filter through a lot of people and ask people out. Don't be discouraged if you don't get a lot of response.. online dating is harder for guys as we girls do tend to get a lot of messages.

One last thought would be to try a local speed dating event. There are lots of those in my area, you might check in yours.

So I'm almost 25, and I'm a virgin, who's never kissed a girl, and the only girlfriend I've had was in name only when I was 15, I was a social out class in highschool, when others were experimenting with how the whole dating thing works so I never really got the chance to learn, and now that I am more socially mature and out in the real world I have no idea where to even start.

My main concern is I want to have a family some day and I'm not getting any younger. At my age I might not necessarily be expected to be married and on my way, but to at least be somewhat experienced with dating.

I'm thinking of trying a dating website, but even then I have to put myself out there and know how to court someone, it seems intimidating and I feel like it will be so embarrassing to bring up to a woman my lack of experience in every aspect of dating.

Any aspies with relationship experience who can give me some advice on how to approach this mine field? and please no cliches like "be yourself"
Im 25 and ive had 3 serious relationships and i only got used badly. And ive also had girlfriends but that lasted only a few days to a week. So right now im enjoying being single and also i am a little shy when it comes to girls at first. I am also a virgin and right now i don,t really care if i ever get married or have kids. And my advice is just put yourself out there when it comes to girls thats how you over come your shyness or nervousness and just be yourself thats what girls like is when you are just yourself. I wish you the very best and Good Luck.

I just wanted to caution you about the workplace dating. If it doesn't work out, things can get weird pretty fast.

I agree, in general. My future wife and I spent 6 months slowly courting, feeling each other out, developing a relationship, until we were both ready for sex. (Well, I was ready a whole lot earlier, but that would have just been sex, and could have turned weird. Waiting was much more rewarding.)

Dr. Smart asked how to commence the dating process, and this is how I did it. Propinquity made it both easier and harder, since it was easy to drop by and chat, and it was harder to keep work separate from relationship as we became closer.

I can't imagine a shy, inexperienced, somewhat fearful Aspie male even trying speed dating -- far too intimidating. And (almost surely) getting a lot of rejections without any feedback is not learning how to develop a relationship, how to start dating.

I don't know much at all about dating websites. There is one called "It's Just Lunch" that sounds like the right approach -- two people who have similar interests can meet -- uncomfortably, of course, because they are strangers -- and just talk over food. Quiet, minimal distractions, a time to display good manners, just what an Aspie needs. And time for some feedback, if she is willing to help: "I'm very new at this. Please, please tell me if I do something gauche -- I won't take offense."

The situation you described is almost EXACTLY like me (I even had a single gf when I was 15), except I am 29 now and I FINALLY had a relationship with a girl about a year ago.

I simply told the girl from the outset that I have Asperger's. I was on the fence about accepting her date invitation, so I just came out with it figuring I had nothing to lose if she wasn't on board. This took a lot of pressure off. For me personally, I would prefer to always go into a relationship this way.

Going into it, I was a virgin. I realized I have erectile dysfunction, but by the time I got pills for it, she moved on. We had unsatisfying sex. I was awkward during cuddling. But to be honest, my awkward behavior wasn't really so unbearable...it was my ED that made the situation awful.

Imagine trying to navigate your first sexual experience at the age of 29, but then you throw ED into the mix. It was one of those moments where you look up to God and say "Really?!?!"

So I'm almost 25, and I'm a virgin, who's never kissed a girl, and the only girlfriend I've had was in name only when I was 15, I was a social out class in highschool, when others were experimenting with how the whole dating thing works so I never really got the chance to learn, and now that I am more socially mature and out in the real world I have no idea where to even start.

My main concern is I want to have a family some day and I'm not getting any younger. At my age I might not necessarily be expected to be married and on my way, but to at least be somewhat experienced with dating.

I'm thinking of trying a dating website, but even then I have to put myself out there and know how to court someone, it seems intimidating and I feel like it will be so embarrassing to bring up to a woman my lack of experience in every aspect of dating.

Any aspies with relationship experience who can give me some advice on how to approach this mine field? and please no cliches like "be yourself"

I'm married, female, and 51. I would seriously rather be alone than married to the wrong person. I was in a very stressful relationship for 13 years. Neither of us knew that I had Asperger's. He tried to fix me for so many years. I knew I didn't need fixing but I did want to improve those things that made it hard to live with me (messiness, chaos, panics, jumpiness when yanked out of a microfocus, terrible and stressful verbal communication deficiencies "not being responsible," etc.). Trying to be a regular person was impossible and exhausting. But now I am in a good relationship (thoughbit has its difficulties).

If you could find someone like yourself or someone who has been exposed to Asperger's, I think that would be great. There is no way for someone who doesn't have our brain wiring to "get" us (the same way we can never experientially understand them). Maybe try to find someone a little quirky herself who can give you what you need--and someone who can also get her needs met, too.

In the meantime, I have found that a good cat or two make great companions and help stave away the loneliness.

I'm married, female, and 51. I would seriously rather be alone than married to the wrong person. I was in a very stressful relationship for 13 years. Neither of us knew that I had Asperger's. He tried to fix me for so many years. I knew I didn't need fixing but I did want to improve those things that made it hard to live with me (messiness, chaos, panics, jumpiness when yanked out of a microfocus, terrible and stressful verbal communication deficiencies "not being responsible," etc.). Trying to be a regular person was impossible and exhausting. But now I am in a good relationship (though it has its difficulties).

If you could find someone like yourself or someone who has been exposed to Asperger's, I think that would be great. There is no way for someone who doesn't have our brain wiring to "get" us (the same way we can never experientially understand them). Maybe try to find someone a little quirky herself who can give you what you need--and someone who can also get her needs met, too.

In the meantime, I have found that a good cat or two make great companions and help stave away the loneliness.

She will appear when and where you least expect. Of course, her purpose might be to claw your chest open and devour your still beating heart while you watch. Or, she might want to enjoy getting to know you, share life, and perform deliciois and intimate acts with you. Or some combination of the two. You will not be able to tell upfront.

But I was serious about the unexpectedness of meeting someone. In the meantime, work on making yourself someone who can carry on a relationship.and be a blessing to whomever she ends up being.

It is important to get help/feedback from someone you trust, who has wisdom in these things.

New Threads

Top Bottom