• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Neuroscience and Aspergers

Yes clown suit is too much for anyone!

I'm sticking to the Austin Powers suit and grin with telescope.

You'll know me when you see me.

I'll be in the corner. Just being quiet.

You need to go find a mini me... That takes the attention off you!

Yes clown suit is too much for anyone!

I'm sticking to the Austin Powers suit and grin with telescope.

You'll know me when you see me.

I'll be in the corner. Just being quiet.

Yeh baby....
The imagery created by your words has me laughing out loud.

Can you do the dance too ?
Getting down with your funky bad self?

Last edited:
I like to sit in public and wonder how many people are really like me and hiding?

I leave clues like carrying around a huge stack of books or leaving my Greek Iliad open, PRAYING someone will come up and say, omg Homer!"

It never happens :-(

I see a man who reads a lot and he watches me read but we never talk so i am SURE he is aspie!! Hahaha

I do try

Anyone believe in the brains ability to change and rearrange to the point of fitting in or becoming neurotypical or do we need to have neurotypicals come to our way of thinking?

I don't think we can expect anyone to come to our [my] way of thinking, not even others with ASC. It is unique as we are.

We try and communicate not mind read, communication and social interaction are two way processes. Telling and listening, giving and receiving. So both parties have to make a move.

I suppose we start further back from what is the usual starting line in these things so others might have to move further than they might expect in order to make a connection.

In the beginning I was mesmerized with my girl friend (now wife). She loved this shy guy and was fine with me being different. I was so amazed someone wanted to love me... She was (is) beautiful, sexy, and more than I ever deserved. Later after we got married I found out that I was her "project". I was her guy she picked to mold me into the husband she wanted. I am very loyal, maybe because I wanted to be loved when I was younger, but was just beat instead.

Overtime when she found out I "wouldn't" or couldn't change she started hating me. I'm dealing with some real hard thoughts that I promised myself I would never do, and that is leave and or get a divorce. She is just using me at this point and even tells me she hates me... I'm the same guy that fell asleep on her on our first date. I have changed and faked as much as I could, but she just cant stand dealing with me not being normal. She states that probably in every conversation we have. I told her she is free to leave, but she won't do that. I supply everything she enjoys and she knows that ends if she walks out. Its a tough situation... I'm just finally waking up to the fact she is abusing me nearly as bad as the people who threw me away when I was just a kid.

I'm not perfect... I mess up so often I turn my own stomach, but I apologize every time and try with all I have to always be a better person. I never get that treatment in return and it's killing me.

I wish you all the best with her... I'm never saying my relationship is normal. It is like two different universes where 2 people have such different functioning systems... I cant make me be enough for her, it hurts.

Love her, but look for what she might be trying to change... I don't think they can help that, just like we cant change how we are. If you can make it work... Go for it with all you got, just hold on to who you are.
You may wake up someday not even knowing who you really are anymore.
I am torn with the woman I am with now. She sure wants to change alot about me. The things she wants to change thou we are in agreement with. I know that they are reasonable so I will do them. Even though It will be hard for me, but I will conform, for us. But I will be on the look out for anything unreasonable that she wants of me. This is my third major relationship and this one I want to do right.

Sorry, Autism is a neurological condition not a disease. There is no such thing as treatment for a neurological condition - only the potential of augmentation through coping mechanisms or in rare cases the consumption of medications or supplements that can penetrate the blood-brain barrier to help with neurological messaging.

While neurological messaging can be improved it can not be altered, all that means is that a stronger signal can be created but the destination of the signal remains the same.

We learn to recognize and act out behavior based upon the messaging and signals that our brains process.

I understand that Aspergers is like the difference between left handed people and right handed people and that it is simply a difference in processing information? Is this correct? Are our perceptions different? Or the route on which we make connections different, or the same just different route that our signal connects?

What I am trying to figure out, is if the route in which the signal is processed goes differently through the brain. Would this mean a particular part of the brain in a person with Aspergers maybe more active then in that of a neurotypical person? Sorry for the questions you come across as a person that may hold the answers to my questions.

I'm fascinated with this subject.

IMG_0508.JPG
I understand that Aspergers is like the difference between left handed people and right handed people and that it is simply a difference in processing information? Is this correct? Are our perceptions different? Or the route on which we make connections different, or the same just different route that our signal connects?

What I am trying to figure out, is if the route in which the signal is processed goes differently through the brain. Would this mean a particular part of the brain in a person with Aspergers maybe more active then in that of a neurotypical person? Sorry for the questions you come across as a person that may hold the answers to my questions.

I'm fascinated with this subject.
Each individual is unique, especially those on the spectrum. We use a common phrase of "different, not broken" and that is usually in reference to who we are, additionally we process information and emotions differently.

For some, their experience is very quiet and for some their experience is very amplified.

There are some interesting articles, book and youtube videos on Temple Grandin - describing her experiences and how the university has studied and imaged her brain. Recognized that she thinks and feels differently, uniquely.

Google search is a great place to start, that is where I started to learn and understand about myself and others.

Different and either low or amplified signals? Or maybe a combo?

That may, Imo, take a different path in the brain to get to the same result then that of a larger percentage of people?

I heard that our amygdala is either larger or active differently than an NT?

Definition and Function of theAmygdala. The amygdala is an almond-shaped section of nervous tissue located in the temporal (side) lobe of the brain. ... They are thought to be a part of the limbic system within the brain, which is responsible for emotions, survival instincts, and memory.

Interesting subject. Thanks for posting.

"Something strange is going on in the amygdala – an almond-shaped structure deep in the human brain – among people with autism.

Researchers at the University of Washington have discovered an increased pattern of brain activity in the amygdalas of adults with autism that may be linked to the social deficits that typically are associated with the disorder. Previous research at the UW and elsewhere has shown that abnormal growth patterns in the amygdala are commonly found among young children diagnosed with autism."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090319132956.htm

The amygdala is one of the major keys to unlocking the complexity of the autistic brain. I am reading a book by Temple Grandin called The Autistic Brain: Helping Different Kinds of Minds Succeed. It is pretty informative.

Anyone believe in the brains ability to change and rearrange to the point of fitting in or becoming neurotypical or do we need to have neurotypicals come to our way of thinking?

I like to think of it in terms of an analogy. If a family moves to a new country that has a different language and different cultures, the expectation is the family learns to communicate in the country's language and learn and adopt some of the local customs and culture. Learning the language is critical, because w/out it, it will be extremely difficult to function since it is fundamental to getting a job and doing other basic tasks to live. Now, the person will likely never be able to speak as fluently as the natives of the new country. But for the most part, the individual will be accepted if they can communicate well enough for it to be effective. The family is entitled to retain their native language and speak it within their family and whenever else it makes sense to. Also, they are entitled to retain much of their culture and customs. But the majority will never adopt to the minority. The minority will always be expected to adopt to the majority. Now in a relationship it is a little different situation b/c it deals with two people only, not society in general. In a one on one relationship, there would need to be equal effort on both parties to adjust and adopt to make for a successful relationship. If the responsibility to adapt is not shared, I have trouble seeing how the relationship will work out long term. That is how I see it at least. Coming from a guy who has never been in a serious relationship.

That's makes perfect sense mw2530. It's just the way things are in society we have the expectation to conform to them.

So long story short we will have to learn to manipulate our brains thoughts, feelings,personality and our behavior etc?

Last edited:
The complex relationship between the various parts of the brain.

When I talk about the brain, I often use the analogy of an office building. The employees in different parts of the building have their own areas of specialization, but they work together. Some departments work closer than others. Some departments are more active than others, depending on what the task at hand is. But at the end of the day, they come together to produce a single product: a thought, an action, a response.

Temple Grandin

So long story short we will have to learn to manipulate our brains thoughts, feelings,personality and our behavior etc?

To a certain extent. There are many things that we cannot control that we cannot change. What I mean is we need to adapt enough in order to support ourselves by developing some sort of skills or skill that is useful in solving some sort of problem in the world (In order to be employable). We all bring something to the table even if our skills are much different than an NT. We also need to get along with people well enough to function in a job or through daily life. It doesn't mean we need to like a person or that they need to like us in order to work together. Although, respect for each other is important. If we can do this, it will open up more doors. Hopefully for most of us it is a free world where we can do what we please if it does not hurt others. But, it is much easier to be ourselves if we are able to support ourselves.

Mw2530 you make perfect sense.

I like the serenity prayer:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Does anyone think that words and thoughts are so powerful that they can change things in the brain wether that be chemicals, connection routes or connections in general?

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom