• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Neuroscience and Aspergers

Anyone believe in the brains ability to change and rearrange to the point of fitting in or becoming neurotypical or do we need to have neurotypicals come to our way of thinking?

Anyone believe in the brains ability to change and rearrange to the point of fitting in or becoming neurotypical or do we need to have neurotypicals come to our way of thinking?

With my recent interactions with NT's... I don't want to be one, or think like they do...
I have nothing against them. They are the way they were made. I don't ask for them to change to suit my confined view of the world, but they demand I do change when I can't.

Whats worse is to be married to the NT who makes these demands knowing I have never been like she thought she could make me be. I faked it for her for a long time and that has become a disaster and I just cant do that much anymore. Even worse is I feel a little resentful for all the forcing that people have placed on me to fit into a world they control.

Science or not... I just want to be me.

By the way welcome to the forum.

Its a pretty cool place where abnormal is the normal... or just or normal is normal... Or is it that normal is abnormal??? Hell I just confused my self. It's all good here is what I am trying to say... : )

I think we can change enough to fit in while we are in public, but we seem to have a need to be ourselves and just relax at times. I do not think we can become NTs, and I don't really have that ambition. Sure, we have problems, but we are mostly nicer than a lot of NTs.

I do not mean to be rude, but as far as NTs being like us: FAT CHANCE! I do think this might be a good idea, but do not think it will happen.

With my recent interactions with NT's... I don't want to be one, or think like they do...
I have nothing against them. They are the way they were made. I don't ask for them to change to suit my confined view of the world, but they demand I do change when I can't.

Whats worse is to be married to the NT who makes these demands knowing I have never been like she thought she could make me be. I faked it for her for a long time and that has become a disaster and I just cant do that much anymore. Even worse is I feel a little resentful for all the forcing that people have placed on me to fit into a world they control.

Its a pretty cool place where abnormal is the normal... or just or normal is normal... Or is it that normal is abnormal??? Hell I just confused my self. It's all good here is what I am trying to say... : )

If only we got paid for confusing ourselves.

We'd make a fortune.

I have nothing against them. They are the way they were made. I don't ask for them to change to suit my confined view of the world, but they demand I do change when I cant.

Thank you. I'm just getting into a relationship now and she is neurotypical. She seems to be fine with it so far, time will tell. I to wish to be myself around people and open up more. Living with Aspergers,ADHD and schizo affective bi polar type is hard. I never met another person with Aspergers but I think I might have come across them in my life span and just not recognized them at that moment. If all i had was Aspergers I would feel blessed.

In the beginning I was mesmerized with my girl friend (now wife). She loved this shy guy and was fine with me being different. I was so amazed someone wanted to love me... She was (is) beautiful, sexy, and more than I ever deserved. Later after we got married I found out that I was her "project". I was her guy she picked to mold me into the husband she wanted. I am very loyal, maybe because I wanted to be loved when I was younger, but was just beat instead.

Overtime when she found out I "wouldn't" or couldn't change she started hating me. I'm dealing with some real hard thoughts that I promised myself I would never do, and that is leave and or get a divorce. She is just using me at this point and even tells me she hates me... I'm the same guy that fell asleep on her on our first date. I have changed and faked as much as I could, but she just can't stand dealing with me not being normal. She states that probably in every conversation we have. I told her she is free to leave, but she won't do that. I supply everything she enjoys and she knows that ends if she walks out. Its a tough situation... I'm just finally waking up to the fact she is abusing me nearly as bad as the people who threw me away when I was just a kid.

I'm not perfect... I mess up so often I turn my own stomach, but I apologize every time and try with all I have to always be a better person. I never get that treatment in return and its killing me.

I wish you all the best with her... I'm never saying my relationship is normal. It is like two different universes where 2 people have such different functioning systems... I can't make me be enough for her, it hurts.

Love her, but look for what she might be trying to change... I don't think they can help that, just like we cant change how we are. If you can make it work... Go for it with all you got, just hold on to who you are.
You may wake up someday not even knowing who you really are anymore.

I think we can change enough to fit in while we are in public, but we seem to have a need to be ourselves and just relax at times. I do not think we can become NTs, and I don't really have that ambition. Sure, we have problems, but we are mostly nicer than a lot of NTs.

I do not mean to be rude, but as far as NTs being like us: FAT CHANCE! I do think this might be a good idea, but do not think it will happen.

It would be the same but in reverse. They often demand us to change and we can't always do that, neither can they and I respect that, but I don't see the same respect in return. Its not about hating people, but it is a very wide gap from where I am to where most NT's are. I can't magically close that gap and it always seem it is us who are expected to do so. : )

What do we know so far in neuroscience when it comes to the treatment of Aspergers?
Sorry, Autism is a neurological condition not a disease. There is no such thing as treatment for a neurological condition - only the potential of augmentation through coping mechanisms or in rare cases the consumption of medications or supplements that can penetrate the blood-brain barrier to help with neurological messaging.

While neurological messaging can be improved it can not be altered, all that means is that a stronger signal can be created but the destination of the signal remains the same.

We learn to recognize and act out behavior based upon the messaging and signals that our brains process.

Last edited:

I think neurogenisis and neuroplasty is a given fact. It happens. There can be (in my humble opinion) no dispute there.

I really, really struggle with the term Neurotypical because I don't think it exists - again, just my opinion - I don't think, in my lifetime, I've met anyone I would consider typical. Robotically typical.
There are just so many connections in the brain that I view people (all people) as diverse. Each as different as the next.

Would I swap what I have now for some friends and not 'screwing it up' almost every time I open my mouth?

:D
No way.

Now I have an idea of what's going on with me and that burn outs and melt downs and stims don't mean I'm losing my mind, and feel somewhat less frustrated with others now I'm aware not everyone thinks like I do, I'm looking forward to showing off a little and using my mad skills for a purpose. That's the plan anyway.
:)

I think neurogenisis and neuroplasty is a given fact. It happens. There can be (in my humble opinion) no dispute there.

I really, really struggle with the term Neurotypical because I don't think it exists - again, just my opinion - I don't think, in my lifetime, I've met anyone I would consider typical. Robotically typical.
There are just so many connections in the brain that I view people (all people) as diverse. Each as different as the next.

Would I swap what I have now for some friends and not 'screwing it up' almost every time I open my mouth?

:D
No way.

Now I have an idea of what's going on with me and that burn outs and melt downs and stims don't mean I'm losing my mind, and feel somewhat less frustrated with others now I'm aware not everyone thinks like I do, I'm looking forward to showing off a little and using my mad skills for a purpose. That's the plan anyway.
:)

I really agree with you on the NT thing a lot... I just use it as a contrast a nick name, a short way to not have to explain what you just explained so well. So when I say NT I'm just saying different and not throwing people into a specific category... Just like we as ND's are very diverse also : )

I really agree with you on the NT thing a lot... I just use it as a contrast a nick name, a short way to not have to explain what you just explained so well. So when I say NT I'm just saying different and not throwing people into a specific category... Just like we as ND's are very diverse also : )

:D. Thanks Chance,
Quite lonely out on this limb all by myself :)

In real time I tend to observe rather than join in- unless pushed for my opinion - if that's the case the 'asker' needs to sit down and get comfortable because they'll be there for a while.

I often think if we 'people-watch' (observe) the diversity is apparent, clear. Perhaps that's the reason people confuse the s*** out of me?

In real time I tend to observe rather than join in- unless pushed for my opinion - if that's the case the 'asker' needs to sit down and get comfortable because they'll be there for a while.

I often think if we 'people-watch' (observe) the diversity is apparent, clear. Perhaps that's the reason people confuse the s*** out of me?

I like to sit out of the way and just watch people interact. Not in a creepy way, just observing and also minding my own business. I like it out in San Diego. There are lots of people. They mostly leave you alone, but are just doing all sorts of things for you too see and understand...

I learn from it. I don't even think I would know who I was at all if I didn't do this to some extent. I just feel empty sometimes I guess.

I like to sit out of the way and just watch people interact. Not in a creepy way, just observing and also minding my own business. I like it out in San Diego. There are lots of people. They mostly leave you alone, but are just doing all sorts of things for you too see and understand...

I learn from it. I don't even think I would know who I was at all if I didn't do this to some extent. I just feel empty sometimes I guess.

I don't understand a lot of what I watch and so it fascinates me, always wanting to know why and how an interaction (between others) has just happened.

I know what you mean with the creepy thing. I lurk and am thinking to myself "don't act creepy, don't act creepy, don't act creepy"
I have to wonder if wearing a camera around my neck would give me a good excuse to people-watch. :)

I don't understand a lot of what I watch and so it fascinates me, always wanting to know why and how an interaction (between others) has just happened.

I know what you mean with the creepy thing. I lurk and am thinking to myself "don't act creepy, don't act creepy, don't act creepy"
I have to wonder if wearing a camera around my neck would give me a good excuse to people-watch. :)

I just sit on a bench with my backpack, iPad, or a book, and I just make sure not to stare at anyone. I just smile if they notice me, and go back to reading or whatever. I have seen people while I was doing this who are watching people and they creep me out... Next thing I know I am watching them watching people and at that point I need to go on my way.

A telescope would be super creepy. Imagine sitting in the corner of a busy room,focusing in..

Please try that first :)

I sometimes worry the tree branch we're all sitting on will break.

There's gonna be some flat NT's.

A telescope would be super creepy. Imagine sitting in the corner of a busy room,focusing in..

Please try that first :)

Dress in black suit white shirt, black tie, hair greased back, govt issue sunglasses and a dark SUV, with binocs around your neck... Now that's creepy, unless you're in a clown suit and that has me on the run.

Dress in black suit white shirt, black tie, hair greased back, govt issue sunglasses and a dark SUV, with binocs around your neck... Now that's creepy, unless you're in a clown suit and that has me on the run.

And one earphone with a neatly coiled connection going into their left ear. :cool:

Pretty good way to get people to avoid you unless you're approached by Travis Bickle, who wants to know where he can apply to the Secret Service. :p

Yes clown suit is too much for anyone!

I'm sticking to the Austin Powers suit and grin with telescope.

You'll know me when you see me.

I'll be in the corner. Just being quiet.

New Threads

Top Bottom