• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Nerves And Playing ForAn Audience

total-recoil

Today I simply had to conquer my demons. A couple of weeks ago some people asked me to play keyboard for them and unexpectedly nerves got the better of me. Whereas normally my fingers would move from chord to chord, I found myself hitting wrong notes or getting a mental block. I did manage to play at least one track reasonably O.K. but felt I'd let myself down a bit. People told me they thought I palyed O.K. but I wasn't sure if maybe they were being polite but figured I was nervous.
Anyway, today I used the old trick musicians have been using for decades. A good gulp of something alcoholic to kill off the nerves and my keyboard tucked under my arm for another attempt to play for a small audience again. Actually it did the trick. I wasn't even high or anything just a bit calmer and not taking it so seriously. I played a few of my own songs and one or two covers and my hands held steady.
I still haven't made up my mind if the plan ever will included actually performing for people either in a building or even the street. Originally the idea has been to record tracks onto C.D. and get my stuff on the internet where it will be judged as it stands, either liked or loathed. There is no real expectation of some sort of success as a musician as like most musicians I play for the love of it and personal gratification. Sure, feedback is valuable so long as it's constructive and informed so I can improve things.
Vaguely I've entertained the idea of making a group. I suck at lyric writing and singing so it would be kind of cool to get some help. Here, though, the landscape is pretty barren. You get the odd solid rock band but little sign of experimental, progressive bands with lots of ideas as you might find in large American cities.

What I do is realize that nerves might make me hit a wrong note but that mistake only lasts a moment. Most people don't know how to play an instrument, let alone a keyboard. Most people are just plain amazed by someone with the ability to play an instrument. Even if the audience is cognizant of your mistake, one bad note doesn't ruin a piece played live. When I'm composing a song, I play it over and over and over. If I hit a wrong note in the first few measures, I don't worry. I just focus on the measure at hand. I don't let it get me down. If I start dwelling on it, I lose focus and start messing up more.

Sometimes I record these rough versions. When I listen back, I barely notice the mistakes I make. I know that when I go to record it for a cd, I'll want to get it perfect...but for practice and live applications, a few bad notes really don't matter. Plus, if the piece is an original, who's to say the performance was very slightly messed up if they don't know the piece by heart? What can really throw an audience off is seeing the look of frustration in the performer's eyes. They might ask themselves if you messed up, but if you look super-confident they will assume that they misheard, not that you misplayed. Also, if you mess up a little, that gives you the chance to make up for it. The listener might say that you started off kinda iffy but ended brilliantly.

If you want to start a group, do it. Don't waste time talking yourself out of it. If there aren't a lot of musicians around, find 2 or 3 that have similar enough interests and work on those similarities. Plus, with Progressive/Experimental music, the band often hinges upon one member. Where would Dream Theater be without Petrucci? Nowhere. If you want to start a Prog band, try that. Lots of musicians are undecided. Most people listen to lots of different musics and musicians are often even more eclectic. Joining a group could be good too.

Also, the internet is amazing...you can find musicians all over the world and collaborate.

Progressive is part of my influence although specifically Pat Metheny. Other major influences are Brian Wilson, John Denver, The Beatles, The Stones and more recently Green Gartside of Scritty Politti. Anyway the way I see it at the moment, my songwriting does appear to be developing in different directions but it's been typically disjointed and fragmented. I haven't got into writing lyrics and sometimes find that part of it a bit boring. Another major issue is at this stage I can't seem to sing. So, what I need to do is complete whole songs, along with lyrics and make finished recordings.
As for being in a band, that is unknown territory. It could work but the chemistry would be crucial. I'm easy to get along with but only relate well to musicians who are very open and not rigid. I think there are musicians you get along with quite well and others who are not on the same waveband.
Anyway the reason I like Green Gartside is number one he's brilliant and number two he became hugely successful while coming from a geographical area that was barren musically. It's just like that here. 90 per cent of the music people play in my area is like 90 per cent loud drum machines from car windows.

Today I simply had to conquer my demons. A couple of weeks ago some people asked me to play keyboard for them and unexpectedly nerves got the better of me. Whereas normally my fingers would move from chord to chord, I found myself hitting wrong notes or getting a mental block. I did manage to play at least one track reasonably O.K. but felt I'd let myself down a bit. People told me they thought I palyed O.K. but I wasn't sure if maybe they were being polite but figured I was nervous.
Anyway, today I used the old trick musicians have been using for decades. A good gulp of something alcoholic to kill off the nerves and my keyboard tucked under my arm for another attempt to play for a small audience again. Actually it did the trick. I wasn't even high or anything just a bit calmer and not taking it so seriously. I played a few of my own songs and one or two covers and my hands held steady.
I still haven't made up my mind if the plan ever will included actually performing for people either in a building or even the street. Originally the idea has been to record tracks onto C.D. and get my stuff on the internet where it will be judged as it stands, either liked or loathed. There is no real expectation of some sort of success as a musician as like most musicians I play for the love of it and personal gratification. Sure, feedback is valuable so long as it's constructive and informed so I can improve things.
Vaguely I've entertained the idea of making a group. I suck at lyric writing and singing so it would be kind of cool to get some help. Here, though, the landscape is pretty barren. You get the odd solid rock band but little sign of experimental, progressive bands with lots of ideas as you might find in large American cities.
If your like me you probably don't like to much praise,but I'm realising if I'm good at something I should be proud of myself.I think the reason for the nerves is because its so important to you.As you said sometimes music is better when you don't think about it to much

New Threads

Top Bottom